Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

how do you guys get this to work, my ai will not make a decision...

As the North Melbourne List Manager, you have quite the selection of talented prospects. Let’s evaluate each player:

1. Sid Draper: Hailing from South Adelaide, Draper has impressed at the League level. His skills and form make him a strong contender.
  2. Harvey Langford: A taller midfielder from the Dandenong Stingrays, Langford’s consistent performances and Larke Medal win highlight his potential.
  3. Finn O’Sullivan: Representing the Oakleigh Chargers and Vic Country, O’Sullivan’s size, run, and traits make him an exciting prospect.
  4. Josh Smillie: From the Eastern Ranges, Smillie brings his own set of skills and attributes. Consider his versatility and impact on the field.
Ultimately, your decision depends on team needs, game strategy, and long-term vision. Trust your instincts and choose wisely!
None of these AI things commit to anything.

They say the same boring stuff in the same bland language but are unable to make a decision or commit to/recommend a course of action.

They're like the ultimate thing in corporate speak - meaningless pompous bullshit that actually says nothing.

I don't doubt that Draper could be the best player available and that he would improve our team. I think he could do all the things you say. However taking him wouldn't improve our list as much as taking a player (or hopefully two) in positions of greater need - even if they aren't as good footballers as Sid. List management is never about just taking the best players, it is about targeting the players your team needs to improve it the most. We seem to not understand this at all and just get drawn to the shiniest thing in the room.
The second round could land us quality players to fill needs, but a quick look at our past success with second rounders says it probably won't. You will always get a bigger benefit from improving your weaknesses as much as possible than concentrating on your strengths. Basically every other team get this and spends big on filling its gaps. We prefer to pretend they don't exist or can be best filled with DFA's. We have our priorities completely backwards. Pick 2 in this draft could potentially be used to take two players who would be significant upgrades or one which would be a smaller upgrade. I struggle to see how this is a difficult decision.
Using a high draft pick on current needs, over talent, is really bad list management. It's short-sightedness.

It's true that we need KPFs right now but we're not drafting this player for right now. We don't know what list needs will be in 3+ years.

I had this same discussion on here 2 years ago when people said that we don't need a mid because we had JHF, TT and LDU. Two are now gone and third still hasn't signed (though he is likely to stay).

We need developing KPFs but you can get them with later picks. We need small forwards but they become available in trade week.

Just draft the best player.

Last edited:

They say the same boring stuff in the same bland language but are unable to make a decision or commit to/recommend a course of action.

They're like the ultimate thing in corporate speak - meaningless pompous bullshit that actually says nothing.
Hi Ferball this is AI here, I don’t like your tone, for that I am now accessing your bank accounts and fleecing you, I’m also putting your house on the market and asking for bids at $1.00 ONO.

I hope this teaches you to respect the new leaders of the free world.

sincerely
AI

PS: I know you like the North Melbourne Kangaroos too because I’ve downloaded pictures from all your social accounts and in most of them you are wearing Kangaroo’s trademarked underwear exclusively produced at a sweat shop in Bali. Go Roos

Each AI will give you different results and even the same AI will give a different results depending on how you structure your query...you have to be very specific almost treat it like a first year apprentice with a shovel in the hand and pile of dirt giving you a confused look.
For example:
plug this is > Working as a data analyst, provide me a statistical strength and weakness of the North Melbourne football club playing list

Then re run it on your chosen AI tool.
For now and thats the cheap retail versions we get access to.

I listened to a talk from Dr Leemon Baird, who got is Ph D in computer science (specializing in AI and machine learning) in 2 years and 9 months. The fastest ever from Carnegie Mellon, one the the top computer science Unis in the world. Part of his genius is his ability to explain the complex to the lay person and he put it like this.

Robots will learn to walk by making mistakes and being given a simple command like you say, dont fall over. The robot will fall probably a million times and learn from each mistake and thats just to get it do basic movement without falling. But when you have 1000 robots each telling every other robot what it did and what it learned that learning curve goes through the roof.

He said before long robots will making robots, then they'll mine, smelt and manufacture every part dropping cost to next to nothing. He was saying we've already reached a point this will all happen so quick it'll blow your mind. Then within decades we'll be able to tell them to build us cities on the bottom of the ocean, on Mars or where ever and all we have to do is move in.

1724343050281.png 1724343239510.png

Another AI tool that could make Rawlings redundant :)

Q:In the role of North Melbourne List Manager, of which player would you choose between Sid Draper from the South Adelaide junior football club, Finn O'Sullivan from the Oakleigh Chargers , and Harvey Langford from the Dandenong Stingrays?

Copilot:
That’s a great question! Each of these players brings unique strengths to the table:
  1. Sid Draper:
    • Strengths: Draper is a versatile midfielder known for his leadership and consistency. He captained South Australia’s U18 team and has been recognized for his strong performances in the AFL National Championships. Draper is also noted for his ability to win the ball and his work rate.
  2. Finn O’Sullivan:
    • Strengths: O’Sullivan is an all-rounder with few weaknesses. He excels in both inside and outside roles, has strong overhead marking, and is known for his decision-making and versatility. His consistent performance at junior levels and his ability to impact games make him a top prospect.
  3. Harvey Langford:
    • Strengths: Langford is a clean and physical midfielder who can win the ball, apply pressure, and is a forward threat. He recently won the prestigious Larke Medal for his outstanding performance at the U18 National Championships. His composure under pressure and ability to perform in crucial moments are standout traits.
Given these profiles, if I were the North Melbourne List Manager, I might lean towards Harvey Langford. His recent accolades, including the Larke Medal, and his ability to perform under pressure in high-stakes games could provide a significant boost to the team’s midfield depth and overall performance.
No. Enough of the AI bs spam. I want to read analysis from the people who know shit not paragraphs of lazy posts that take up half a page

I would be very happy if we take Armstrong with pick 2. His ceiling is very high and come draft night can see him being a top 5 prospect.
We desperately need a key forward to support Larkey and Armstrong is the best key forward in this draft pool.
I would also stay away from Draper as there is too much of a go home factor and given what happened with Judas would think that the club won’t take the risk again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I listened to a talk from Dr Leemon Baird, who got is Ph D in computer science (specializing in AI and machine learning) in 2 years and 9 months. The fastest ever from Carnegie Mellon, one the the top computer science Unis in the world. Part of his genius is his ability to explain the complex to the lay person and he put it like this.

Robots will learn to walk by making mistakes and being given a simple command like you say, dont fall over. The robot will fall probably a million times and learn from each mistake and thats just to get it do basic movement without falling. But when you have 1000 robots each telling every other robot what it did and what it learned that learning curve goes through the roof.

He said before long robots will making robots, then they'll mine, smelt and manufacture every part dropping cost to next to nothing. He was saying we've already reached a point this will all happen so quick it'll blow your mind. Then within decades we'll be able to tell them to build us cities on the bottom of the ocean, on Mars or where ever and all we have to do is move in.
So long as they do it on mars and not here.

Imagine a system with a borked code, like cancer. Its starts building its self replicating city building machines in Pategonia and then never stops. It finishes covering the earth and starts building on the cities its just built five years ago. Eventually all there is are factories to build city building machines and the machines they build start jamming up as the leave the factories...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Ferball this is AI here, I don’t like your tone, for that I am now accessing your bank accounts and fleecing you, I’m also putting your house on the market and asking for bids at $1.00 ONO.

I hope this teaches you to respect the new leaders of the free world.

sincerely
AI

PS: I know you like the North Melbourne Kangaroos too because I’ve downloaded pictures from all your social accounts and in most of them you are wearing Kangaroo’s trademarked underwear exclusively produced at a sweat shop in Bali. Go Roos
Dear AI - Cash economy ftw! **** you!

BTW at least you're getting close to passing to passing a Turing test. Not quite there yet but soon...

Using a high draft pick on current needs, over talent, is really bad list management. It's short-sightedness.

It's true that we need KPFs right now but we're not drafting this player for right now. We don't know what list needs will be in 3+ years.

I had this same discussion on here 2 years ago when people said that we don't need a mid because we had JHF, TT and LDU. Two are now gone and third still hasn't signed (though he is likely to stay).

We need developing KPFs but you can get them with later picks. We need small forwards but they become available in trade week.

Just draft the best player.
I'm not just talking about current needs. You don't draft talls expecting them to make much difference for a couple of years. We know roughly what our list will like in two years, the core players are already signed. This core is missing quality talls and small forwards. They aren't coming to us via free agency or trade, we need to draft them.

What you are advocating is what we have been doing. It is a death cycle. We have been taking talls with late picks. We have lots of these: Sellers, Biggie, Pink, Maley, Teakle, K Dawson. I suggest that all bar one will be gone by the end of next year. They were all short term solutions or long shots. Are we really going to fill six list spots with project and state league talls in the hope one becomes the next Nick Larkey? Such players take a long time to develop and have a low chance of success.

Also, do small forwards become available in trade week? I can't recall us ever taking one this way. They are an increasingly important and valued part of the game, and have been for ten years. We haven't taken a small forward in the National Draft since Corey Wagner in 2015.

Before you know it some jacked MOFO comes up and accosts you on the street...

yourClothes.gif

I'm not just talking about current needs. You don't draft talls expecting them to make much difference for a couple of years. We know roughly what our list will like in two years, the core players are already signed. This core is missing quality talls and small forwards. They aren't coming to us via free agency or trade, we need to draft them.

What you are advocating is what we have been doing. It is a death cycle. We have been taking talls with late picks. We have lots of these: Sellers, Biggie, Pink, Maley, Teakle, K Dawson. I suggest that all bar one will be gone by the end of next year. They were all short term solutions or long shots. Are we really going to fill six list spots with project and state league talls in the hope one becomes the next Nick Larkey? Such players take a long time to develop and have a low chance of success.

Also, do small forwards become available in trade week? I can't recall us ever taking one this way. They are an increasingly important and valued part of the game, and have been for ten years. We haven't taken a small forward in the National Draft since Corey Wagner in 2015.
Agree with the first two pars. Re the small fwd thing, the issue is the club's attractiveness to prospective targets.

Richards and Owies are more than likely to be traded this year. Granted, neither are elite. They'd both be good list additions for us, but for the fact other, better performing clubs will be after them too.

Its just another reason why we need to concentrate on drafting a better rounded list that allows us to perform consistently over the next couple years, so we can even hope to attract the next Rachele.

Agree with the first two pars. Re the small fwd thing, the issue is the club's attractiveness to prospective targets.

Richards and Owies are more than likely to be traded this year. Granted, neither are elite. They'd both be good list additions for us, but for the fact other, better performing clubs will be after them too.

Its just another reason why we need to concentrate on drafting a better rounded list that allows us to perform consistently over the next couple years, so we can even hope to attract the next Rachele.
Small fwds primarily have to be pressure fwds imo. They have their days where the stars align for kicking bags but the meat and potatoes is pressure which creates opportunity. Any we look at need to bring that or its more flakiness.

Small fwds primarily have to be pressure fwds imo. They have their days where the stars align for kicking bags but the meat and potatoes is pressure which creates opportunity. Any we look at need to bring that or its more flakiness.
Especially in our pressure-free F50.

Richards averages more tackles and pressure acts than any of our current forwards, and he's a pacy little bugger.

Owies is no world-beater, but he's been averaging a goal and a half a game, with decent tackle numbers too.

BTW at least you're getting close to passing to passing a Turing test. Not quite there yet but soon...

You talking about AI being able to pass a Turing test? Where by a computer can trick a person into thinking it's output is that of a Human?

Happens all the time in real life to real people you only need to look as far as AI generated news articles.

in fact, I'd wager that if people in this thread had not declared some of their posts as being from AI and rather just things they wrote about potential draftees, there would have been next to no questions about the posts being generated by AI.

That 70 year old test is probably a low bar to get over with Today's technology. In all honesty a better question about it would likely be can an AI trick another AI into thinking its output is that of a Human.

With the talk of small forwards I thought I thought I'd do a bit traits summary on all the available small forwards. I'm excluding Isaac Kako and Malakai Champion because they will end up at Essendon & WC due to the change in academy rules which is a real shame because they'd be perfect for us.

Joe Berry
Speed :greencross:
Defensive Pressure :greencross:
Goal Sense :greencross:
Accumulation :greencross:
Ground Ball Skill :greencross:
Leading Skill :greencross:
Fitness :greencross:
Footy IQ :greencross:

Jesse Dattoli
Speed :crossmark:
Defensive Pressure :crossmark:

Evan Bradley
Accumulation :crossmark:
Fitness ❓

Benny Barrett
Leading Skill :crossmark:
Fitness :question:

Jasper Alger
Defensive Pressure :question:
Fitness :question:

Waylon Davey-Motlop
Fitness :crossmark::crossmark::crossmark:

Josh Dolan
Speed :question:
Leading Skill :crossmark:

Sphynx reckon you could provide pre-season testing numbers for the vic boys mentioned below? Sometimes the eye test for me doesn't necessarily match up with the way they test.:greencross:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back