Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess when it is drafting you don’t treat it like an AA squad. If we think Draper is a better prospect we take him, regardless of who had the best year.
Fair
I also think Smillie and Lalor are the better prospects than Draper

Plus have had better years and an extra advantage of being local talent

Remarkably this was Finn's first appearance in the Talent League since the opening game of the season. The Chargers have been a huge disappointment all year, but this was the first time since the first quarter of the opening game that they've had their Rolls Royce of a midfield trio all playing at full capacity and they rolled over the red hot favourites for the Talent League crown. Finn was hugely influential through the middle early before seeming to run out of tickets in the second half and playing largely in the forward line. We're finally getting to see the real Finn O'Sullivan at something approaching full capacity and he looks to be making a late run at pick 1.

I know they're completely different positions just more from a visual perspective that I find interesting and wondered if anyone else can see it or whether I've got an extra chromosome. The way FOS moves around the ground and his gait/look just remind me so much of Jeremy Cameron. Again totally different positions and sizes just spazzs me out sometimes when watching.

He worked out that he was shooting up to our pick
Sid Draper's manager before this weeks game when told of our interest in him....
Then reiterating it to just make sure.
Coming In Hot Slow Down GIF by Ryn Dean
Hold Up No GIF by Brett Eldredge

As we've seen a number of times this season, Smillie came out in the opening quarter with a frenetic energy and seemed to be everywhere early on finding the footy at will. That energy at times caused him to turn the footy over due to rushed disposal or decision making, but he was overall a big part of Eastern surging out to a significant early lead. He drifted out the game somewhat in the second half, which has become a bit of a trend for him, but overall he still put together a very good game.

As we've seen a number of times this season, Smillie came out in the opening quarter with a frenetic energy and seemed to be everywhere early on finding the footy at will. That energy at times caused him to turn the footy over due to rushed disposal or decision making, but he was overall a big part of Eastern surging out to a significant early lead. He drifted out the game somewhat in the second half, which has become a bit of a trend for him, but overall he still put together a very good game.

Even though I’m keen on Draper or FOS. That’s the kind of frenetic energy we lack, especially from our mids, and especially from a 6 foot one.

Disagree. If they trade out Rioli & Bolton then they will be having multiple hits well inside the first round. They will be well positioned to take so called 'risks', although I don't consider FOS any more of a risk than the other highly rated first round prospects.
Fair enough. I just think with pick 1 more then any you want to hit. Smith has put together the best year out of available talent and Ashcroft bid unlikely for Tigers who would want to have a shiny new first pick (something that has alluded us).
I think Smillie and FOS have higher ceilings then Smith but my feel is Tigers will play it safe at pick 1. Will find out in afew months either way.

Assuming we don’t trade out our picks, then would really love to see us roll the dice on someone like Smillie.
His size alone would give us a lot to work with & develop, and it’s just the way the game has been heading for years.
Would love to grab someone that could develop into a Will Day/Conor Nash. Even though he’s not quite as tall as the other two, Sam Durham’s another one, too.

Currently have LDU, Simpkin, Sheezel, Phillips & Powell and outside of LDU (considered medium in the modern game), everyone else is on the small side.

If we must draft another midfielder, what we can’t afford to do is go with another really safe/undersized/low-ceiling player. Think that’s what we were trying to do with Phillips and while these types can look solid & reliable as an underager, if they don’t have an X-factor or defining characteristic that sets them apart, then that’s what you risk being left with (still have some faith in WillPhil btw. But will never be a star, if we’re being realistic).

I come in piece...
I think Smillie suits you guys the best out of the midfielders.
Do you think you guys would take the risk and take Armstrong or Trainor at 2?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's been a lot of talk about there being a really even top end, which was true for a while, but I think a clear top 3 has emerged now that Draper and FO'S have been able to come back and play -> FO'S, Draper and Jagga.

If he doesn't go at #1 we should be shouting FO'S name, that's my personal opinion and has been for a while.

After that, Sid Draper or Jagga Smith seem to me the next best.

Biggest concern with Draper = go home factor
Biggest concern with Jagga = defensive game

I'd be taking Draper at #2.

Exactly what we don't need. In the bin!

There's been a lot of talk about there being a really even top end, which was true for a while, but I think a clear top 3 has emerged now that Draper and FO'S have been able to come back and play -> FO'S, Draper and Jagga.

If he doesn't go at #1 we should be shouting FO'S name, that's my personal opinion and has been for a while.

After that, Sid Draper or Jagga Smith seem to me the next best.

Biggest concern with Draper = go home factor
Biggest concern with Jagga = defensive game

I'd be taking Draper at #2.
What type of deal would have you thinking about splitting pick 2?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Assuming we don’t trade out our picks, then would really love to see us roll the dice on someone like Smillie.
His size alone would give us a lot to work with & develop, and it’s just the way the game has been heading for years.
Would love to grab someone that could develop into a Will Day/Conor Nash. Even though he’s not quite as tall as the other two, Sam Durham’s another one, too.

Currently have LDU, Simpkin, Sheezel, Phillips & Powell and outside of LDU (considered medium in the modern game), everyone else is on the small side.

If we must draft another midfielder, what we can’t afford to do is go with another really safe/undersized/low-ceiling player. Think that’s what we were trying to do with Phillips and while these types can look solid & reliable as an underager, if they don’t have an X-factor or defining characteristic that sets them apart, then that’s what you risk being left with (still have some faith in WillPhil btw. But will never be a star, if we’re being realistic).

I'm guessing you are obsessed with the size side of things. Have you considered Langford? Langford to me seems more like that Will Day/ Conor Nash type player you speak of.

I'm guessing you are obsessed with the size side of things. Have you considered Langford? Langford to me seems more like that Will Day/ Conor Nash type player you speak of.

He's the one I want at 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back