Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't beat those trades up, they contributed Stephens and Fisher but they also got us Hardeman and Will Dawson.
Fair call, the later 2 would be around those picks in this draft. Would just put us in an ideal position for snapping up a couple of key forwards or trading up.

Unfortunately no sound on the source broadcast.

Just when I think the race for pick 1 couldn't get any messier, we get a performance like this from Lalor. As powerful and dynamic a contested game as I've seen this year. He won his own footy at stoppage, took contested intercept marks around the ground, layed bumps and tackles. He was an unstoppable beast all game, although his kicking was a little more wayward than usual.

Would love O’Sullivan with our pick 2 and I hope like hell that he’s still on the board but playing devils advocate and say he’s not , this might be unpopular opinion here but the more I watch Jagga Smith the more I think Nick Daicos .

The way he runs hard to receive , his ability to arch his back to escape tackles , seems very clean and rarely fumbles , the ways he wins clearance & exits forward of stoppage , holds onto the ball to find the right option & doesn’t panic and hack kick the ball forward and his consistency of performance is all high quality .

His deficiencies that people have spoken about in regards to his hurt factor with ball in hand … from what I’ve seen he may not hit a 50m bullet to a team mates chest but
he doesn’t chop the ball up either and they way we turn it over going forward I would’ve though ball retention is a must .

He may not have the best defensive game but that can be improved at AFL level with the right mindset & when you are getting it 35 times every week and dominating im sure it doesn’t occur to you too often to work as hard defensively as others , especially as a 17/18 year old .

Some of the more avid watchers of U/18s footy might disagree and give a heap of reasons why I’m wrong , just puting in my 2 cents worth .

Don't think Jagga quite has the speed of Daicos, but his evasiveness and vision is similar to that of Daicos.

The two things that concern me about Jagga is his body shape and defensive running. He runs exceptionally well as a link up player, but doesn't have the same intensity when the ball is turned over. This remains a big issue for our current midfield, so adding in another player with similar defensive intent doesn't sit well with me.

In saying that, ball retention particularly around stoppages is such a huge part of the modern game. Teams that retain the ball from stoppages and maintain possession are often the best sides. What you get with Jagga is always ball retention, he rarely wastes a disposal, rarely has turnovers that costs goals and consistently finds a target by hand a foot. That is worth it's weight in gold in modern footy.

Just when I think the race for pick 1 couldn't get any messier, we get a performance like this from Lalor. As powerful and dynamic a contested game as I've seen this year. He won his own footy at stoppage, took contested intercept marks around the ground, layed bumps and tackles. He was an unstoppable beast all game, although his kicking was a little more wayward than usual.

Wayward kicking you say, with pick 2 North Melbourne select…

Ok what’s his height and weight and how tall is he?

Currently have LDU, Simpkin, Sheezel, Phillips & Powell and outside of LDU (considered medium in the modern game), everyone else is on the small side.

If we must draft another midfielder, what we can’t afford to do is go with another really safe/undersized/low-ceiling player. Think that’s what we were trying to do with Phillips and while these types can look solid & reliable as an underager, if they don’t have an X-factor or defining characteristic that sets them apart, then that’s what you risk being left with (still have some faith in WillPhil btw. But will never be a star, if we’re being realistic).
This is last years Brownlow top 11 which were all mids compared to our current mids:
Lachie Neale W
178​
LDU
188​
Marcus Bontempelli
194​
Simpkin
183​
Nick Daicos
184​
Wardlaw
182​
Zak Butters
181​
Sheezel
185​
Errol Gulden
175​
Phillips
181​
Christian Petracca
187​
Powell
184​
Caleb Serong
180​
McKercher
182​
Jack Viney
179​
Lazzaro
180​
Patrick Cripps
195​
Stephens
184​
Noah Anderson
192​
Connor Rozee
185​

Height is not the issue when we recruit a midfielder as the one of the best mids in the game is only 178cm.

This is last years Brownlow top 11 which were all mids compared to our current mids:
Lachie Neale W
178​
LDU
188​
Marcus Bontempelli
194​
Simpkin
183​
Nick Daicos
184​
Wardlaw
182​
Zak Butters
181​
Sheezel
185​
Errol Gulden
175​
Phillips
181​
Christian Petracca
187​
Powell
184​
Caleb Serong
180​
McKercher
182​
Jack Viney
179​
Lazzaro
180​
Patrick Cripps
195​
Stephens
184​
Noah Anderson
192​
Connor Rozee
185​

Height is not the issue when we recruit a midfielder as the one of the best mids in the game is only 178cm.
Agree. Zac Butters at 181 goes alright too.

how do you guys get this to work, my ai will not make a decision...

As the North Melbourne List Manager, you have quite the selection of talented prospects. Let’s evaluate each player:

1. Sid Draper: Hailing from South Adelaide, Draper has impressed at the League level. His skills and form make him a strong contender.
  2. Harvey Langford: A taller midfielder from the Dandenong Stingrays, Langford’s consistent performances and Larke Medal win highlight his potential.
  3. Finn O’Sullivan: Representing the Oakleigh Chargers and Vic Country, O’Sullivan’s size, run, and traits make him an exciting prospect.
  4. Josh Smillie: From the Eastern Ranges, Smillie brings his own set of skills and attributes. Consider his versatility and impact on the field.
Ultimately, your decision depends on team needs, game strategy,

Hi Brady,

Don't worry about it and get your info off BF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lalor
Eagles have got you ranked at three, Lalor
Begging Sam please, Lalor
Sam, won't you appease our woesome midfield?
Not bad! :D

Bit of a link there between Lalor and WC though. Liam Duggan and Lalor know each other really well because they came from the same junior club (Bacchus Marsh) and their families are still involved at local level.

I'd take Lalor over Smilie. He is currently what people want Smilie to hopefully become. A powerful contested beast that can take strong contested marks.

Lachie Neale W
178​
LDU
188​
Marcus Bontempelli
194​
Simpkin
183​
Nick Daicos
184​
Wardlaw
182​
Zak Butters
181​
Sheezel
185​
Errol Gulden
175​
Phillips
181​
Christian Petracca
187​
Powell
184​
Caleb Serong
180​
McKercher
182​
Jack Viney
179​
Lazzaro
180​
Patrick Cripps
195​
Stephens
184​
Noah Anderson
192​
Connor Rozee
185​

Yeah absolutely agree with you. Height is most definitely not a prerequisite to be a great midfielder. I was more getting at that almost all of our guys are on the smaller side of 185 or less, so it’d be nice if we can add some size in there too as a point of difference, if we’re going the midfielder route again. Since we have so many of the smaller bodies.

Interestingly on that Brownlow graphic that you brought up was meant to support the argument for smaller mids, but nearly half of them (5/11) on that list are 185+. Just think that the bigger bodies usually have a little more gamebreaker/X-factor over their smaller counterparts. For example, comparing those that finished above them: In terms of winning the game, aliens have their death beam pointed at Earth, and who I’d take or prefer to have at North in the biggest moments, when the chips are down. Most definitely taking a prime Bont (194) over a Neale (178). Petracca (187) over a Butters (181) or Gulden (175). Cripps (195) over a Viney (179) or Serong (180).

Edit: I think that Viney and Cripps choice is very interesting, too. Both are highly contested ‘get me the ball’, in n’ under types. But one guy is 195cm and one is 179cm. Makes a world of difference, even though there are some similarities in the way they play.

A solid game for Murphy but he couldn't prevent his highly fancied Dragons team going down to the rival Oakleigh Chargers. He was poised and effective with the ball and found space around the contest as he always does, but didn't seem to find as much penetration this week and overall he was part of a midfield group that was soundly beaten on the day.

Alway appreciate your work, but with this boy, it's not what he does with the ball that concerns me, but his physique.

He's a stripling, and putting on some bulk might be the challenge
His evasiveness and decision making is ridiculous. That's what matters to me. He gets it, and gets it again, and when he doesn't get it, he keeps going at the footy until he's got it. You can't easily teach that. Either Richmond take him with 1 and we take FOS, or the other way around. I haven't seen enough of Draper, but gee I like this kid. A lot. He can kick goals and he gets outside of the contest with speed. Wardlaw, LDU, Smith and Sheezel. Can't really go wrong. That's an impressive highlights reel from Jagga from just one game, let alone a season.

Thank you noobermensch for posting. Did NOT realise you weren't a North supporter until I looked closely just now. Thank you for coming on here and giving us the highlights and the write up. As with the other players too.

Jagga might just have silenced those suggesting his game doesn't have enough hurt factor. The possession count might have been a bit lower this week (only 33!) but this was one of the most damaging performances Jagga has produced this season. Rather than taking the first release option at stoppage he looked to turn the corner and use his pace to exit the front, to spot up a kick to a forward or release a teammate with hands to run into the forward 50. He kicked two goals of his own, and directly assisted three more.

If we keep our second pick and he's there we should just take him, don't overthink it, this kid is elite and could be AA within his first few years.

If we pick up Draper the first thing I’d be doing is signing up Arlo with our VFL team!
Mmmm, so many folks around here seemed to be scarred for life, obviously from the Judas affair, no need to worry with Sid, he's so much different than Judas, think Tommy Powell who loves it at our club, you didn't see him rushing back did you?
If we select Sid, he'll be a kangaroo for a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back