Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they will take FOS.
Me to, I think its out of Finn and Jagga who they take at number 1, but some well informed tiger supporters would almost burn Punt road down if Chris Toce doesn't select Finn at 1, and they have had a good look at them all, like I said, going to be very interesting who takes who and what final picks teams have come draft night!

Last edited:
If Adelaide wanted to trade 4 and 27(?) for 2 to get to Draper?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Not my conversation so forgive the intrusion, and I know people abhor calculating these things in points, but 2 is worth 2500 and 4 + 27 is 2700, so we’d be doing Adelaide a favour for a less than 10% premium. Computer says no

You'd be looking for better options, but i'd be 100% looking at this particularly if you could package those 2 second round picks and move back into the first round.

I'm the opposite. I would be trying to get as many picks as possible inside the top 30.

Not my conversation so forgive the intrusion, and I know people abhor calculating these things in points, but 2 is worth 2500 and 4 + 27 is 2700, so we’d be doing Adelaide a favour for a less than 10% premium. Computer says no
But also, surely the only decent rationale for trading down this year is because we've got our eye on two first round non-midfield players.

If we want to draft an elite midfielder, we're better off keeping pick 2.

Pick 27 is far too late to be the single major incentive in trading down.

Would need to be a hell of a lot better than a pick in the 30's.

Does the same apply to us trading up to Pick 1? No it wouldn't...
The trade has to be assessed in the context of the draft pool, not the value of the pick in any given year surely. If we believe that the first bunch of players are very even, and there's 4 players in the open draft pool we'd happily take at 2, we're essentially trading down to 4 and losing nothing.

The trade has to be assessed in the context of the draft pool, not the value of the pick in any given year surely. If we believe that the first bunch of players are very even, and there's 4 players in the open draft pool we'd happily take at 2, we're essentially trading down to 4 and losing nothing.

I am assessing it on the draft pool.

If Richmond take FOS, Draper would be considered by many recruiters as the #1 pick.

And he's South Australian, the value to Adelaide over say Langford, Lalor or Smillie is huge and not something given away easily because the draft pool is even.

You have to leverage against the buying clubs need for it, which is big in this case.

He's the only top South Australian prospect outside of Dodson.

I am assessing it on the draft pool.

If Richmond take FOS, Draper would be considered by many recruiters as the #1 pick.

And he's South Australian, the value to Adelaide over say Langford, Lalor or Smillie is big imo.
Okay, that makes sense. Essentially the value of moving up for Adelaide is significantly more than providing a second round pick. I was more assessing from North's angle, where it doesnt seem like we will be losing out on much sliding down to 4.

Okay, that makes sense. Essentially the value of moving up for Adelaide is significantly more than providing a second round pick. I was more assessing from North's angle, where it doesnt seem like we will be losing out on much sliding down to 4.

I think we would be losing a lot moving to pick 4. We'd need to be compensated far more than Pick 30 for that imo.

Some will argue otherwise, but FOS and Draper are the two best fits for our side if we continue with the likes of Powell, Simpkin etc in there.

Midfielders with Drapers leg speed do not grow on trees.

You get 1 or 2 maximum a draft at the point end.

Jagga has some zip, Finn move differently, but is more class related.

The rest of the midfield options are very one paced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me to, I think its out of Finn and Jagga who they take at number 1, but some well informed tiger supporters would almost burn Punt road down if Chris Toce doesn't select Finn at 1, and they have had a good look at them all, like I said, going to be very interesting who takes who and what final picks teams have come draft night!
I suspect they want both. After all the players they are trading out, they should have a juicy combination of picks to offer us for pick 2.

I think we would be losing a lot moving to pick 4. We'd need to be compensated far more than Pick 30 for that imo.

Some will argue otherwise, but FOS and Draper are the two best fits for our side if we continue with the likes of Powell, Simpkin etc in there.

Midfielders with Drapers leg speed do not grow on trees.

You get 1 or 2 maximum a draft at the point end.

Jagga has some zip, Finn move differently, but is more class related.

The rest of the midfield options are very one paced.
And our need, need for speed is massive

But also, surely the only decent rationale for trading down this year is because we've got our eye on two first round non-midfield players.

If we want to draft an elite midfielder, we're better off keeping pick 2.

Pick 27 is far too late to be the single major incentive in trading down.

Not really. The draft is so even that drafting a midfielder at pick 2 vs pick 4 is virtually no difference. It just means we get an extra pick inside the top 30 to draft another player of need.

Not really. The draft is so even that drafting a midfielder at pick 2 vs pick 4 is virtually no difference. It just means we get an extra pick inside the top 30 to draft another player of need.
Notwithstanding the evenness at the top end of the draft, I find it hard to believe that we'd be willing for give up potentially our top 3 preferences for a pick that won't even be in the top 35 after F/S, academys, NGAs etc.

Notwithstanding the evenness at the top end of the draft, I find it hard to believe that we'd be willing for give up potentially our top 3 preferences for a pick that won't even be in the top 35 after F/S, academys, NGAs etc.

In terms of splitting our number 2 pick, there are probably not too many options. Even if it ends up being pick 35, this has been widely regarded as a deep draft so there's a good chance we can get a decent kid that addresses one of our needs.

In terms of splitting our number 2 pick, there are probably not too many options. Even if it ends up being pick 35, this has been widely regarded as a deep draft so there's a good chance we can get a decent kid that addresses one of our needs.
Mate there will be far better options.

1) GC trying to get a top-end mid before Lombard
2) Richmond with their plethora of 1st round picks for outgoing players
3) Saints if they get band 1 compo for Battle
4) Freo with their 3 first rounders
5) WC with 2 first rounders after the Barrass trade

I think come draft time we will get an offer or two and the big watch is what picks the tigers get for the players leaving, some people don't think the tigers would swap two picks in the top say 12 for 2, don't bet your house on that!

Actually you know what would be better than 2 for 4 and 27...

Frontload stupid overs money for Battle, and trade pick 2 to Saints for 7 and 8 (the Battle compo).

I think come draft time we will get an offer or two and the big watch is what picks the tigers get for the players leaving, some people don't think the tigers would swap two picks in the top say 12 for 2, don't bet your house on that!
Apart from Ashcroft, its pretty clear we have a break away top 3 now in Smith, FOS and Draper imo.

Choc full of confidence after his excellent run in the VFL with Essendon, Jobe Shanahan returned to Talent League play with the Pioneers and had his best game of the season. His team were smashed in the opening quarter going well behind, until Shanahan kicked two goals late in the term to give them hope. They slowly closed the gap over the remainder of the contest with Shanahan their talisman in the forward line, but couldn't quite overcome the deficit. Shanahan found space on the lead, took a couple of excellent contested marks and even snapped an opportunistic goal on the run.

If Adelaide wanted to trade 4 and 27(?) for 2 to get to Draper?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
I see a clear Tier 1 with 3 players in it - FO'S, Draper and Jagga.

I don't see pick 27 (I don't have numbers but might be a ~30% chance of playing 100 games? + it'll end up pick 30+ after NGA and F/S) as appropriate compensation for us dropping down a tier and picking up an inferior talent at the top end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back