Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I see a clear Tier 1 with 3 players in it - FO'S, Draper and Jagga.

I don't see pick 27 (I don't have numbers but might be a ~30% chance of playing 100 games? + it'll end up pick 30+ after NGA and F/S) as appropriate compensation for us dropping down a tier and picking up an inferior talent at the top end.

Totally agree with FOS and Jagga, and would not be unhappy with Draper, but I'm a little bit wary of picking SA players, although Tommy Powell has no go home in him whatsoever.

We can't lose with one of these three, but I want Smith please.

Keep investing on the best mids we can get. We gotta stack our 22 with talented mids on the flanks, wings, fwds & backs.

The best teams have stacked midfields. You look Collingwood with a guy like Steele Sidebottom. Very talented midfielder who hasn't been in Collingwood's midfield for a few years because of Daicos, Pendlebury, Crisp, De Goey etc. He plays on bck/fwd flanks or wing. Same with Taylor Adams who's now at Sydney.

The one kid that stands out to me (just looking at highlight reels) is Smillie. We've never drafted a big brute like him before and more importantly he offers something to different to the likes of Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher, Duursma, LDU, Simpkin, Powell & Phillips.
If we are after a big brutish contested mid then Langford is a better prospect than Smillie. Puts his nose over it, tackles hard, has a penetrating kick, and is much more of a threat when resting forward. Possibly the best prospect outside the top 3 in the open draft, FOS/Smith/Draper.

Forgive the intrusion, but as impressive as Draper and others are, I really think Langford is the perfect pick for the Roos. He compliments your midfield perfectly.

Says he models himself on the Bont and you can actually see it when he plays. Frankly, he's more aggressive and physical than the Bont.

Moves well - nice kick - gets his handballs away under pressure - can play forward and kick goals - is versatile - and no go home factor.

Wardlaw, LDU, McKercher, Sheezel and Langford - would be about as good a midfield as I can remember.

I'm a Hawks fan, but I would expect you guys to burn past us in a couple of years with that midfield.

Yes but it's actually really enjoyable watching you guys at the moment. You clearly made the right call in drafting Nick Watson, and I am sure you will get much joy watching him and Jack Ginnivan play together over the next 10 years. Good luck in the finals. Beat those goddamn Dogs, will you please?

Langford looks too slow for mine. Disposal looks average too.
That's probably the big knock on him but a fair few of them have some concerns over their disposal. Langford gives me a bit of Darcy Tucker vibes with his ball drop but then he can hit some penetrating lasers. Not sure he's top 5 once the testing numbers come into it.

Smillie went at 56% in the champs with some shanks along the ground like Wardlaw, lacks physicality that Cripps has but he's very clean below his knees and has great hands. Can he improve the kicking efficiency?
He might have the most upside along with Lalor perhaps, but even he misses some easy targets under little pressure.
FOS I think might be the best pure talent with his clean skills and speed/endurance combo.
We'll see what happens I guess.

You may be right but you also ignore his poor ball use, particularly in the champs.
Ball use was fine
The odd missed kick but no worse than any of the other top prospects bar Jagga

His first champs game where they moved him to hbf in the second quarter I thought he set up play well

Ball use was fine

His first champs game where they moved him to hbf in the second quarter I thought he set up play well
His highlights contain shocker kick after shocker kick. And those are his HIGHlights. Imagine what his lowlights look like.

Draper & FOS have the absolute class and the wheels we badly need.

Smith is a ball magnet through repeat efforts all game but the defensive side is a question mark - something we dont need.

Langford is a weapon but we need speed, I feel he’s top speed could be a yard too slow.

Lalor is interesting, has campaigner, burst speed & strength. He reminds me of a pre-draft Ollie Wines a bit. Tank is the issue.

Smilie doesn’t tick any boxes for us in the present other than he’s 194 cms which means he might be able to play as a mobile CHF if needed.

Still think the first two are the standouts for us, however that might change after the combine (ie Lalor being a smokey)..

Draper & FOS have the absolute class and the wheels we badly need.

Smith is a ball magnet through repeat efforts all game but the defensive side is a question mark - something we dont need.

Langford is a weapon but we need speed, I feel he’s top speed could be a yard too slow.

Lalor is interesting, has campaigner, burst speed & strength. He reminds me of a pre-draft Ollie Wines a bit. Tank is the issue.

Smilie doesn’t tick any boxes for us in the present other than he’s 194 cms which means he might be able to play as a mobile CHF if needed.

Still think the first two are the standouts for us, however that might change after the combine (ie Lalor being a smokey)..
1724766205997.png

Sexy Pool Cue GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ball use was fine

I would suggest going at 56% is more than the odd missed kick. Looked better in his most recent game.

Its been a theme that the kids playing VFL come back to the Talent League chock full of confidence and turn in a ripper performance, and Harvey Langford was no different. He was relentless and beastlike around the stoppages, damaging with the footy outside of the contest, strong overhead and slotted four goals to round things off and help his team get the win.

My guy!!!

I dunno to my untrained eye he doesnt look slow or have a small tank! very keen to see his combine results.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back