Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Got Shinboner written all over him. We need more picks. Plays like Sicily.
I hope we can find a way to draft him. With he and Duursma in the same team, we'll have a mortgage on mark of the year for the next ten years. One at either end or both up forward is an exciting prospect.

Smith is even more that archetype. People talk about explosiveness and a booming kick for FOS but I just don't see it.

FOS is struggling with accumulation at the moment but that's the role I see him playing at AFL.

Edit: I watched him at the GWV v Oakleigh final and they had him as BOG for Oakleigh but I just didn't see it. Lots of bombs to no one inside 50s, a few attempted spikes/knock ons when he should have taken the ball that went to the opposition, and he got wrapped up almost every time he tried to get out of the contest.

Has a decent nous for marking but I thought it was far from a BOG game.

I think he'll be a decent player but just doesn't have the weapons I'd expect at pick 2.

I’m with you. I just don’t see it with him. No doubt when we wins back to back Brownlows in 2030-31, somebody with nothing better to do will find these comments.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He didn't play a single game this season that screamed clear #1.

Very underwhelming senior year. He's the 2nd biggest gamble of the draft behind Hotton.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah right were you at all his games.?he's certainly got star quality..do you expect him to be schimmelbusch at eighteen.hes as good as anyone in this draft.lalor is getting talked up.yet he was injured most of the year..you were probably an LDU knocker.awhile back...

If you looked at it that you were really trading 7 and Battle for 2 then maybe there'd be some thought for you guys but I can really see you just taking the two best available mids there. Could be a real slider there.

At that, I'd like the idea of your trade, the second pick would end up being a fair one to send back.
Isn’t Silvangi there running the show - he’s known to overpay

Yeah right were you at all his games.?he's certainly got star quality..do you expect him to be schimmelbusch at eighteen.hes as good as anyone in this draft.lalor is getting talked up.yet he was injured most of the year..you were probably an LDU knocker.awhile back...
No, I wasn't at any of his games to see his star quality 16 possession average when he wasn't injured...

LDU knocker lol
You'll never see me utter a bad word about LDU. Ever. (Unless he leaves*)

The curse of King Corey
Season 1 Curse GIF by SHOWTIME
Season 1 Destiny GIF by SHOWTIME

I do not feel lucky and have never done with our esteemed drafting history…

I’d do 7,8 for 2,24. Think 7,8 for just 2 is probably too steep but certainly agree with you! Nth hold the cards and if we want someone bad enough, which I do, we should pony up
Yeah look its going to be one of the most interesting drafts of all time, you guys, the tigers, when they get there picks, at this stage look the most obvious, how bad does someone want one of those "elite five"? Something going back, I wouldn't of thought so because like you say we hold the cards but if there is anything going back I would assume its a future 2nd or a future 3rd, not pick 24.

The ocean is very very deep, in the aquatic circle of life, you haven't even scratched the surface or should I say the depths!
The other thing is that people must remember its not what players are doing now because that's only part of it, its what there going to do, hence the word potential. ;)
Nail on the head. It's not what they can do now, it's what they can do in 5-10 years.
If we could get one of Shanahan/Armstrong to pair with a taller J Whitlock/Gerreyn/Sims in this draft then I think that would give us a great mix up forward. Which one's out of those combinations it's hard to know what they'll think.

I think Jack Whitlock or Gerreyn might have the most potential out of the lot with the 199cm plus reach taking the ball at the highest point they would bring a difference to our forward mix as a contested mark option next to Larkey and they can also relief ruck. All have areas to work on, JWhit needs to add size and Gerreyn the tank.
Jack Whitlock very good on the athletic testing front but will he be a slight frame like a Tim English?

Armstrong has a lot of upside, a great contested mark according to his school footy coaches but we've only seen glimpses of that in the CTL. He doesn't attack the ball quite like Jobe with his swagger but I think he has an elite work rate with repeat efforts to stay involved in the play. Elite yoyo test, good vision, creates scores for teammates, beautiful set shot.
Is he Jeremy Cameron or a bit too much lead and mark compared to Larkey or a Matty Llloyd full forward?

Shanahan is great too, very good presence flying for marks on the lead. VFL form very impressive, good kick, good endurance and athleticism. I don't see much thought in repeat efforts with groundballs or defensive tackling pressure.
And I wonder whether he a bit similar to what we have in Zane already?

Faull is an interesting one. Frustrates me with his decision making, prone to some Joe Daniher "wormburner" kick moments that have me scratching my head but he's a competitor with repeat efforts.

I don't know what to think. My fav is probably the GMan but he's got some areas to work on as well.
Upside could be like a Jonno Brown, he's got a bit of swagger about him that I like and can kick off both feet.

Nail on the head. It's not what they can do now, it's what they can do in 5-10 years.
If we could get one of Shanahan/Armstrong to pair with a taller J Whitlock/Gerreyn/Sims in this draft then I think that would give us a great mix up forward. Which one's out of those combinations it's hard to know what they'll think.

I think Jack Whitlock or Gerreyn might have the most potential out of the lot with the 199cm plus reach taking the ball at the highest point they would bring a difference to our forward mix as a contested mark option next to Larkey and they can also relief ruck. All have areas to work on, JWhit needs to add size and Gerreyn the tank.
Jack Whitlock very good on the athletic testing front but will he be a slight frame like a Tim English?

Armstrong has a lot of upside, a great contested mark according to his school footy coaches but we've only seen glimpses of that in the CTL. He doesn't attack the ball quite like Jobe with his swagger but I think he has an elite work rate with repeat efforts to stay involved in the play. Elite yoyo test, good vision, creates scores for teammates, beautiful set shot.
Is he Jeremy Cameron or a bit too much lead and mark compared to Larkey or a Matty Llloyd full forward?

Shanahan is great too, very good presence flying for marks on the lead. VFL form very impressive, good kick, good endurance and athleticism. I don't see much thought in repeat efforts with groundballs or defensive tackling pressure.
And I wonder whether he a bit similar to what we have in Zane already?

Faull is an interesting one. Frustrates me with his decision making, prone to some Joe Daniher "wormburner" kick moments that have me scratching my head but he's a competitor with repeat efforts.

I don't know what to think. My fav is probably the GMan but he's got some areas to work on as well.
Upside could be like a Jonno Brown, he's got a bit of swagger about him that I like and can kick off both feet.
Very good and detailed response chubbs, more than a few people compare Harry to Cameron but I don't, Mathew Lloyd is very much what comes to mind with Harry, his marking is very very good, his kicking for a forward is elite , his repeat efforts are "cat like" and his tackling and reading of the play are a step ahead of a lot of other forwards of his age. The one player that I'm not quite sure of what pick he will go at is none other than my equal favourite player in this draft and that is Kayle Gerreyn.

He literally could go anywhere between pick 16 and pick 36, again having picked him out last year, even with his huge potential upside this is the deepest draft I've ever seen so its anybody's guess. Most recruiters for this draft will have such different boards to their counterparts that expect the unexpected in this draft and as I said a few months ago, picks will be flying around everywhere and not all supporters will agree with their clubs decisions but I think most of everybody will get what they want in this draft.

For example, imagine if St Kilda happened to get pick 9 to go with 7 and 8 for picks 7/8/9! The reason Essendon might do this is someone early bidding on Isaac Kako, now it might be another club, but either way that's just one possible deal, get my drift? Jobe is another interesting one I've found hard to place in this draft, a good forward who has shown his craft in the reserves but its not that he's done anything wrong but that a couple of others have more potential.

Jack Whitlock, he's always had it, but you know that championship decider between country and metro, "the glimpses" as I call them, gee whiz, watch that game and watch him, "its the little things", that catch my attention, another player that some of the media have going at different picks like so many others, he just might go a tad higher than most think but if we don't take Harry then "captain" Jack Sparrow err Whitlock is the one I would love to get.

Jonty with his back injuries is healthy again and his upside rivals Jobe because unlike jobe, Jonty has been behind the eightball and everything he's doing now is a bonus. Lastly, on Jacks frame comparing him to Tim English, I think three years in an AFL system will work wonders for Jack and don't have any concerns on that matter.

Last edited:
Here is a comparison of traits that I posted a while back! Considering the chat about key forwards I reckon it’s worth mentioning again particularly for those that haven’t seen a lot of junior footy.

Here is a bit of a comparison between the key forwards and the types of attributes they have:

Harry Armstrong
Contested Marking :greencross:
Leading Target :greencross:
Set Shot Goal Kicking :greencross:
Ground Level Game :greencross:
Ability to Push Up The Ground :greencross:
Ability to Ruck :crossmark:
Mobility :greencross:
Overall Athleticism ❓
Big Body ❓ - not sure if he develops into a real big bodied key forward

Jack Whitlock
Contested Marking - hit and miss
Set Shot Goal Kicking :crossmark:
Ability to Push Up The Ground :crossmark:
Ability to Ruck :greencross:
Overall Athleticism :greencross:
Big Body :crossmark:

Jonty Faull
Ground Level Game :crossmark:
Mobility :crossmark:
Overall Athleticism :question:
Big Body :greencross:

Tom Sims
Set Shot Goal Kicking - hit and miss
Ability to Push Up The Ground :crossmark:
Big Body :question: - not sure if he develops into a real big bodied key forward

Jobe Shanahan
Big Body :question: - not sure if he develops into a real big bodied key forward, more mobile type.

Kayle Gerreyn
Contested Marking - hit and miss
Set Shot Goal Kicking - hit and miss

Charlie Nicholls
Set Shot Goal Kicking :crossmark::crossmark::crossmark:
Ability to Ruck :question:

Here is a comparison of traits that I posted a while back! Considering the chat about key forwards I reckon it’s worth mentioning again particularly for those that haven’t seen a lot of junior footy.
From that it seems the Gerreyn is a prospect that has a lot going for him. His underdeveloped tank (poor yo-yo) seems to be the biggest issue. How many years would be waiting before he could potentially make an impact?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I wasn't at any of his games to see his star quality 16 possession average when he wasn't injured...

LDU knocker lol
You'll never see me utter a bad word about LDU. Ever. (Unless he leaves*)

😁Cyril rioli averaged 15 possession a game .And what a player he was caused havoc most times he played..I'd expect Finn to be somewhere around LDU level.at some stage in his career.he has all the tricks..the club would have a better idea than you and I ever will...he trained with us over last summer...jagga smith was enormous during the season.yet Xavier Lindsay won the comp best and fairest...we may take him clarkos loves left footers...🦘

From that it seems the Gerreyn is a prospect that has a lot going for him. His underdeveloped tank (poor yo-yo) seems to be the biggest issue. How many years would be waiting before he could potentially make an impact?
It's us remember. I'd say Months. He's perfect for what we are building and will only get better as his fitness improves. Must get

Cyril rioli averaged 15 possession a game .And what a player he was caused havoc most times he played..I'd expect Finn to be somewhere around LDU level.at some stage in his career.he has all the tricks..the club would have a better idea than you and I ever will...he trained with us over last summer...jagga smith was enormous during the season.yet Xavier Lindsay won the comp best and fairest...we may take him clarkos loves left footers...
I honestly don't care who we take, but imo they need to have the runs on the board in their senior year.

I want kpfs and smalls and to keep developing the mids we have spent a fortune on.

I honestly don't care who we take, but imo they need to have the runs on the board in their senior year.

I want kpfs and smalls and to keep developing the mids we have spent a fortune on.

The ideal (but unlikely) situation would be to trade back to the 6-12 region, pick up a small or tall forward and perhaps nab one of the highly rated sliders such as Draper, Smillie or FOS. At 22, pick the best small or tall available (whoever is left of Berry, Hannaford, Whitlocks, Gerreyn and Shanahan.

With the likes of Langford, Lalor and Reid rising in some draft form guides into the top 5, one of the original big 5 will slip.

So you think Shanahan is the best KPF.

No. Those ticks are purely just on how they play now. I’d be confident in saying that Shanahan and Armstrong are probably the most well rounded at this stage.

However not sure he has the upside of a J.Whitlock or Gerreyn. If Whitlock can grow into his body and can still maintain his athleticism you’re looking at King twin potential. If Gerreyn can improve his running capacity you’re potentially looking at a Hawkins style hulking FF.

I still rank Faull higher than most because of his competitiveness, physicality and willingness to get the ball to ground.

FOS still can’t be right imo.

It will all come out in the wash next year what has occurred (I don’t know) or what he’s been dealing with. It’s clearly not just a wrist/hand though. Wouldn’t shock me if it was OP or something.

That 2km time is about 30 seconds slower than his one 12 months ago. He was a sub 6 min 2km runner as a bottom ager.

It will all come out in the wash next year what has occurred (I don’t know) or what he’s been dealing with. It’s clearly not just a wrist/hand though. Wouldn’t shock me if it was OP or something.

That 2km time is about 30 seconds slower than his one 12 months ago. He was a sub 6 min 2km runner as a bottom ager.
Would you be picking him at 2?

Maybe it’s just as simple as he has gone backwards because he hasn’t been able to train at a higher intensity?

Maybe he got a bit too confident and didn’t take his training and recover too seriously this year?

Would love to be a fly on the wall in his interviews, there has to be a reason why he didn’t manage to put it together at all this year.

I mentioned him earlier this year when he had a bit of a run kicking goals.

Has pretty decent forward craft and really launches at the footy.
When was the last draft with so many decent talls being projected in the top 50?

This draft could be the making or breaking of the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back