Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If unable to split for something like 6 &13, then pick 2, has to be best available, I'll back in Souup and Sphynx with their opinions on FOS. Looks a class above.

Splitting for two top picks has appeal, though it seems the only remaining options for that is to slide this year + F1.

Hanging on to pick 2 doesn't tick the list balancing box, but there's enough evidence we can't trade in elite players, the only way on this list is to draft them.

KPF or Small fwd at 25

Hope like **** Darling plus a resting Parker straightens up the forward line for a year until there's a better option.
We are in a good spot whatever happens in relation to pick 2

If we keep pick 2 and get Lalor, Smillie or Fos I have my preference but I’d be content with any of these 3

Or we split pick 2 in order to grab a KPF and a another highly rated slider

The results of the 2024 Telstra AFL and AFLW State Draft Combine testing have been confirmed, showcasing the athletic performances from the pool of emerging talent across Australia.

Among the standout performers in the boys' section, Patrick Retschko -from Victoria clocked an impressive 6:07 in the 2km time trial, closely followed by Hugh Boxshall (WA) at 6:08, who was stunningly a top five performer in all but one test.

2km time trial

NameStateState League ClubCommunity ClubTime (min: sec)
Patrick RetschkoVIC MOakleigh ChargersCaulfield Grammarians6:07
Hugh BoxshallWAClaremontSwanbourne6:08
Luke KennedyVIC MSandringham DragonsOrmond6:08
Sam DavidsonVIC MRichmond (VFL)St Kevin's6:12
Nathaniel SulzbergerTASSandringham DragonsNorth Hobart6:17

AFL Talent Ambassador Kevin Sheehan has thrown his support behind WA’s top draft prospects, stating as many as 12 WA players could be selected by AFL clubs this year.

On Sunday, 14 of WA’s top male and female footballers took part in the Telstra AFL State Draft Combine which included testing for agility, vertical jump, the 20m sprint and the 2km time trial.

Hugh Boxshall is a boy that clubs are interested in, due to his strength, certainly his endurance, he’s a great contested ball winner around stoppage.

WAFL COLTS GRAND FINAL 2024
Best – Davis, Boxshall, Riddle, Ravenhill, Sibosado, Douglas, Angove.

Hey all, I come in peace etc.

Was hoping to get some North supporter insight into a potential trade. As an outsider, there seems to be a growing consensus to not pick up another mid at pick 2 and instead trade down for a KPP (by the looks of it, Tauru?) and extract any extra currency possible.

But with rumours Melbourne are willing to pull the trigger on Tauru at pick 5, how willing are North to reach for him? Willing enough to trade Pick 2 for, say, pick 4 from the crows + F2? Or would you rather target another KPP at that point. I imagine it’s less value than you all anticipated but if you’re really keen on Tauru and Melbourne are too I’m not sure you’d be able to extract much more value?

Was hoping to get some North supporter insight into a potential trade. As an outsider, there seems to be a growing consensus to not pick up another mid at pick 2 and instead trade down for a KPP (by the looks of it, Tauru?) and extract any extra currency possible.

But with rumours Melbourne are willing to pull the trigger on Tauru at pick 5, how willing are North to reach for him? Willing enough to trade Pick 2 for, say, pick 4 from the crows + F2? Or would you rather target another KPP at that point. I imagine it’s less value than you all anticipated but if you’re really keen on Tauru and Melbourne are too I’m not sure you’d be able to extract much more value?
I'd do that deal. Outside of Lalor not that keen on adding any of this year's mids. Would prefer a current second.

I think we'd look at anything but we'd probably be after Tigers 6 and 14 I think first.

I think we'd look at anything but we'd probably be after Tigers 6 and 14 I think first.
Yeah definitely more value in that deal for you guys. It’s just a matter of how highly you rate Tauru and if rumours of Melbourne wanting him at pick 5 are true.

On a side note, why are you guys entertaining F1 for pick 13? Surely you can get more from it than pick 13. None of Saints, Dees, Freo or Eagles tempted by it?

Yeah definitely more value in that deal for you guys. It’s just a matter of how highly you rate Tauru and if rumours of Melbourne wanting him at pick 5 are true.

On a side note, why are you guys entertaining F1 for pick 13? Surely you can get more from it than pick 13. None of Saints, Dees, Freo or Eagles tempted by it?
Not sure. Either we wanted it to get Houston or we're after one of J Whitlock/Trainor/Travaglia/Shanahan/Hotton/Berry around that mark. Freo's 11 might be a possibility but I'd want a bit extra (30? F2?).
Maybe we're struggling to slide back from 2?

Not sure. Either we wanted it to get Houston or we're after one of J Whitlock/Trainor/Travaglia/Shanahan/Hotton/Berry around that mark. Freo's 11 might be a possibility but I'd want a bit extra (30? F2?).
Maybe we're struggling to slide back from 2?
Yeah demons aren’t moving yet, they are instead using the media that they are keen on Tauru. They want FOS or Lalor , Armstrong at 9.
If tigers take Lalor at one, I reckon Melbourne will be on the phone for pick 2. 5 and 9 for 2 and F2

Yeah demons aren’t moving yet, they are instead using the media that they are keen on Tauru. They want FOS or Lalor , Armstrong at 9.
If tigers take Lalor at one, I reckon Melbourne will be on the phone for pick 2. 5 and 9 for 2 and F2

Better tell Tauru’s management that Melbourne aren’t keen because they beg to differ.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better tell Tauru’s management that Melbourne aren’t keen because they beg to differ.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Ok. We will see I guess. I reckon they are after mids. That’s my mail, but not a solid ItK, someone pretty involved. Clubs keep their cards pretty close to their chest though. Lots of false rubbish around to mix things up.

Have spent a lot of time on Langford apparently…

I’d said we’d be negligent to pick him a few months back, solely due to the poor pre season testing.

Tests slow. Has forwards worked hard on medicine so that it doesn’t appear to be a problem. The eye test conflicts with his poor 20m sprint time.

But I just watched his vfl debut video and I say it was more important fos or smith at level. Can 100% see the Bont comparison let alone factoring in there similar testing times

We’ve picked the best mids the last few yrs with our early picks.

The draft strategy this year should be straight forward. Pick the best key position forward/defender. Pick up another using our 2nd round pick.

Next year, pick best available again.

We're not taking a tall with our first pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back