Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I keep hearing a lot about Alix Tauru here, but how is he that differentiated to BGZ? Seems like another high-leaping medium forward? Is that what we really need?
Alix Tauru is a defender that has shown he can go forward and still do the same thing, at 193cm and still growing I don't know about being a medium anything, his potential and his combine results back up what recruiters have a very big tick for, he literally could be anything. As in midfielders {pace}, with lots of supporters its height when talking about key forwards, you've got to be 195cm or more, if your under that god help you.

Back to midfielders, look, if you have pace that's great, but if you don't its not a game breaker that lots of supporters think it is. The exact thing with key forwards, if you are 195 or more and are good that is a positive, if you are 200cm and are good then again its a positive, with midfielders and key forwards forget the pace and height thing and focus on the player, his ability and potentially what he is to become in the future.

Is that what we really need? A player who in my opinion marks like Nick Riewoldt, in general plays like James sicily and can do some of the things I've seen him do and just for kicks can go down to the forward line and do the same thing to opposition backmen.

I can see it now what shifter is going to say about him at draft time. "Here he is, I've been waiting for this boy, {gives a chuckle} his highlight reel is something else, watched this boy play, there's nothing he can't do, he can be a matchwinner this one and at 193cm and growing, he is going to be something else this boy, you just wat and see, a great pick up for whoever gets him"! Short answer, yes.

6 and 18 will get it done if you want it.
The biggest question I'm hearing is you guys love Sam Lalor and Finn O'Sullivan, if you guys don't want pick 2 then you are not going to get your second player, with the picks you have that is downright silly, forget the picks and get the best elite talent that you can get and get both of them if they are indeed the two, I know Jagga is in the frame so I guess that is interesting.

Fans and supporters are sometimes not quite on the same page as what their club is and as a consequence their club does what some think illogical things when in fact they have a lot better view on things than people realise. There is of course the unexpected and unbelievable {West Coast trade}, every supporter would have laughed at you and put on the hard line stance saying its not going to happen, that's fantasy stuff, your dreaming.

Do I need to remind you of what happened and how so many of their supporters sent angry Emails and some even said they wouldn't renew their membership. Now I know there are some who only said this out of anger, but in reality clubs will do what's best for them and sometimes its not what the majority of supporters have in mind. Come draft night there are going to be some interesting moves from certain teams, so along with all the talented boys in this crazy good draft and you add that in, its going to be one for the ages! ;)

Pravda Roo phantom, let me know what you think.

PickTeamNameHeightPositionClubComments
1RichmondWill Ashcroft179cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsLions elect not to match in an even draft
2North MelbourneJagga Smith181cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersQuick mid just what we need
3CarltonLuke Trainor194cmKey DefenderSandringham DragonsBlues traded up to get ahead of Saints and Collingwood to pair with Lewis Young
4AdelaideJoe Berry180cmSmall ForwardMurray BushrangersRachele replacement in the forward line, will electrify Crow fans for years
5MelbourneFinn O'Sullivan182cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersGun mid
6RichmondSid Draper180cmMidfielderSouth AdelaideA smoky who I think could go first round
7St KildaHarry Armstrong193cmKey ForwardSandringham DragonsBest key forward
8St KildaSam Lalor187cmMidfielder/General ForwardGWV RebelsRisky but a gun
9CollingwoodHarvey Langford190cmMidfielderDandenong StingraysHawks F/S eligible but elect to not match the bid
10RichmondJosh Smillie194cmMidfielderEastern Ranges
11RichmondKayle Gerreyn199cmKey Forward/RuckWest PerthRichmond get revenge on West Coast for Baker
12West CoastBo Allen191cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderPeel ThunderBest WA player left
13Port AdelaideJack Whitlock200cmKey ForwardMurray BushrangersA 'lock' to go to Port
14FremantleIsaac Kako175cmSmall ForwardCalder CannonsBolton replacement, Ess elects not to bid
15GWSJonty Faull195cmKey ForwardGWV RebelsWeird name which GWS loves
16GWSTom Gross181cmMidfelderOakleigh ChargersTimed out
17Western BulldogsAlex Dodson203cmRuckSturtBevo loves playing the talls
18RichmondTom Sims199cmKey ForwardNorthern KnightsTom Lynch replacement
19SydneyMurphy Reid180cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsParker replacement
20RichmondAlix Tauru191cmGeneral DefenderGippsland PowerNot yet sold on him but I haven't seen any of his TAC Cup footage
21GWSOliver Hannaford180cmMidfielderGWV Falcons
22SydneyTaj Hotton182cmMidfielder/General ForwardSandringham Dragons
23RichmondTobie Travaglia187cmGeneral DefenderBendigo Pioneers
24WC (match bid from Richmond)Malakai Champion172cmSmall ForwardSubiacoGood Bolton replacement if Eagles don't match but in this scenario they do
25GC (match bid from Richmond)Leo Lombard178cmMidfielderGC AcademySuns awake to the tactic and trade in a future 1st to make it happen
26RichmondXavier Lindsay183cmMidfielderGippsland PowerSounds a solid type
Exactly how I have it! To the pick.

Lets be honest here. Picking another mid at pick 2 will not help this club as much as trading for 6 picking tauru or armstrong and pick lets say 11(it wont be 11) for a berry or pick 18( much more realistic, no matter how much you hate the fact) for a whitlock brother or hopefully shanahan. Anyone who thinks otherwise and has been screaming for 1000 pages if we pick another mid i will spew up should do everyone a favour and go take a nap for the rest of the year.

Too many in here think that we need to win these pick swaps, there are 2 clubs in these negotiations. This isnt a d*ck swinging contest. Both clubs will do the deal thats even for both parties. Sliding 4 picks back getting a player we want and then picking a player at 18 is a win for us its right in the hitting zone for all the needs our list requires.

Last edited:
Alix Tauru is a defender that has shown he can go forward and still do the same thing, at 193cm and still growing I don't know about being a medium anything, his potential and his combine results back up what recruiters have a very big tick for, he literally could be anything. As in midfielders {pace}, with lots of supporters its height when talking about key forwards, you've got to be 195cm or more, if your under that god help you.

Back to midfielders, look, if you have pace that's great, but if you don't its not a game breaker that lots of supporters think it is. The exact thing with key forwards, if you are 195 or more and are good that is a positive, if you are 200cm and are good then again its a positive, with midfielders and key forwards forget the pace and height thing and focus on the player, his ability and potentially what he is to become in the future.

Is that what we really need? A player who in my opinion marks like Nick Riewoldt, in general plays like James sicily and can do some of the things I've seen him do and just for kicks can go down to the forward line and do the same thing to opposition backmen.

I can see it now what shifter is going to say about him at draft time. "Here he is, I've been waiting for this boy, {gives a chuckle} his highlight reel is something else, watched this boy play, there's nothing he can't do, he can be a matchwinner this one and at 193cm and growing, he is going to be something else this boy, you just wat and see, a great pick up for whoever gets him"! Short answer, yes.
Shifters voice was in my head reading that. Cheers for that.

Lets be honest here. Picking another mid at pick 2 will not help this club as much as trading for 6 picking tauru or armstrong and pick lets say 11(it wont be 11) for a berry or pick 18( much more realistic, no matter how much you hate the fact) for a whitlock brother or hopefully shanahan. Anyone who thinks otherwise and has been screaming for 1000 pages if we pick another mid i will spew up should do everyone a favour and go take a nap for the rest of the year.

Too many in here think that we need to win these pick swaps, there are 2 clubs in these negotiations. This isnt a d*ck swinging contest. Both clubs will do the deal thats even for both parties. Sliding 4 picks back getting a player we want and then picking a player at 18 is a win for us its right in the hitting zone for all the needs our list requires.
Richmond will not take 6+ kids in the draft. They will want pick 1 and 2, they will have

Pick 1,6,10,11,18,20,23,24

Then they may bundle up a few of 18, 20, 23, 24 to get back in the top ten

If they can end up hypothetically with 1,2,8,10 take 4 of the top 10 with 2 of the best kids in the draft. Thats the best case scenario for em. And a ripping draft haul.

Dont for one moment think pick 2 for 6/11 is out of reach by any stretch

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 and 18 will get it done if you want it.
No thanks.

Here's your chance to secure an elite midfield pairing in Smith and FOS. Cotchin and Martin ring a bell? You could do it in one draft.

Neither will last to pick 6 - nor Draper or Lalor for that matter.

I suppose you could always try your luck with one of them to run with the likes of Taranto and Hopper.

You choose.

6 & 18 is 🥜's for pick 2.

6 & 11.

The reference point for what pick 2 is worth is the West Coast trade in 2022.

They basically got 8 + 12 for pick 2. The only thing that muddies the worth of pick 2 from that trade was that Willie Rioli was sent with pick 2 in the same trade with a future 2nd and 3rd included going West Coast's way (you could argue Willie Rioli = Future 2nd[or 3rd] and so the Future 3rd[or 2nd] was paired with 8 + 12 in exchange for 2)

Anyway, regardless of how you want to view it, that has to be the measuring stick here. 6 + 11 sounds about right.

I wouldn't be shocked if we threw in a Future 1st aiming for pick 10 to be thrown in, but I'm not sure Richmond do that as they'd want an influx of top-end talent in one draft and even though our future 1st probably ends up a top 3/4 pick, delaying your rebuild a year isn't going to be something most clubs want to do, even if it means a pick 7-8 spots higher the year after.

Last edited:
I was in favour of holding pick two. But having traded out the rest of our picks, think we have to try and split it now. Especially as I want us to pick Tauru and Berry. To do that will need 6 & 11. Doubt Berry lasts to 18.

This is why I don't usually watch draft highlights until we pick our players. Now I have favourites and am invested in them. It's going to end in disappointment on draft night I know.

Pravda Roo phantom, let me know what you think.

PickTeamNameHeightPositionClubComments
1RichmondWill Ashcroft179cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsLions elect not to match in an even draft
2North MelbourneJagga Smith181cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersQuick mid just what we need
3CarltonLuke Trainor194cmKey DefenderSandringham DragonsBlues traded up to get ahead of Saints and Collingwood to pair with Lewis Young
4AdelaideJoe Berry180cmSmall ForwardMurray BushrangersRachele replacement in the forward line, will electrify Crow fans for years
5MelbourneFinn O'Sullivan182cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersGun mid
6RichmondSid Draper180cmMidfielderSouth AdelaideA smoky who I think could go first round
7St KildaHarry Armstrong193cmKey ForwardSandringham DragonsBest key forward
8St KildaSam Lalor187cmMidfielder/General ForwardGWV RebelsRisky but a gun
9CollingwoodHarvey Langford190cmMidfielderDandenong StingraysHawks F/S eligible but elect to not match the bid
10RichmondJosh Smillie194cmMidfielderEastern Ranges
11RichmondKayle Gerreyn199cmKey Forward/RuckWest PerthRichmond get revenge on West Coast for Baker
12West CoastBo Allen191cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderPeel ThunderBest WA player left
13Port AdelaideJack Whitlock200cmKey ForwardMurray BushrangersA 'lock' to go to Port
14FremantleIsaac Kako175cmSmall ForwardCalder CannonsBolton replacement, Ess elects not to bid
15GWSJonty Faull195cmKey ForwardGWV RebelsWeird name which GWS loves
16GWSTom Gross181cmMidfelderOakleigh ChargersTimed out
17Western BulldogsAlex Dodson203cmRuckSturtBevo loves playing the talls
18RichmondTom Sims199cmKey ForwardNorthern KnightsTom Lynch replacement
19SydneyMurphy Reid180cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsParker replacement
20RichmondAlix Tauru191cmGeneral DefenderGippsland PowerNot yet sold on him but I haven't seen any of his TAC Cup footage
21GWSOliver Hannaford180cmMidfielderGWV Falcons
22SydneyTaj Hotton182cmMidfielder/General ForwardSandringham Dragons
23RichmondTobie Travaglia187cmGeneral DefenderBendigo Pioneers
24WC (match bid from Richmond)Malakai Champion172cmSmall ForwardSubiacoGood Bolton replacement if Eagles don't match but in this scenario they do
25GC (match bid from Richmond)Leo Lombard178cmMidfielderGC AcademySuns awake to the tactic and trade in a future 1st to make it happen
26RichmondXavier Lindsay183cmMidfielderGippsland PowerSounds a solid type
Thanks for outing yourself as a tuggers fan

Lindsay at 26
Tauru at 18
Redrafting of Will Ashcroft is the kicker
Draper at 6
Travaglia at 23

Is the other Whitlock falling to the tigers in the rookie draft.

This is why I don't usually watch draft highlights until we pick our players. Now I have favourites and am invested in them. It's going to end in disappointment on draft night I know.

Same... I'm getting a bit attached to Tauru and can feel the disappointment coming already. The supposed depth of this draft makes everything so murky. Need to stop thinking about it for a month!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back