Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hilarious to me that people have talked themselves, with the help of the media and Richmond dudes popping in here with their sound “advice”, to take 6+18 for pick 2.
Hope Brady doesn’t cave like this. Long way to go yet. In a month’s time we will be expecting pick 10+50 for pick 2 because bloody Ralphy, or some other Richmond supporter clown in the media, has sold it to us. This is OUR club, no one else’s, hold firm FfS.
Or take the best bloody kid at 2. It’s not like we are going to have to play Daniel at KPF. W Dawson and Chom ain’t nothin players. We have options.

Do you really think that Rawlings, Thursfield, Viney, Clarkson, and whoever else is involved is going to go “hang on, let’s see what Jon Ralph thinks we should do?”

Not sure what our list manager thinks but it's an even draft with the top 5 to 6 picks virtually even then the next 10 picks very even.

They talk about evenness, but there is a clear top tier of midfielders that are a class above the rest, the majority of those will be gone by pick 6. If you want a combination of FOS/Lalor/Smith then you’ll have to pay more than 6 & 18 for the opportunity in my opinion. Personally, I think the next tier of players from 5 through to 30 is where you could throw a blanket of them in terms of their potential.

Going to be plenty of talls and other role players at your other picks as well.

Hilarious to me that people have talked themselves, with the help of the media and Richmond dudes popping in here with their sound “advice”, to take 6+18 for pick 2.
Hope Brady doesn’t cave like this. Long way to go yet. In a month’s time we will be expecting pick 10+50 for pick 2 because bloody Ralphy, or some other Richmond supporter clown in the media, has sold it to us. This is OUR club, no one else’s, hold firm FfS.
Or take the best bloody kid at 2. It’s not like we are going to have to play Daniel at KPF. W Dawson and Chom ain’t nothin players. We have options.
Absolutely. Pick 2 holds a premium. We don’t trade it unless we’re getting something monumental for it. As many have highlighted already in this discussion, the difference in success rate of a top 3/4 pick in the draft, historically smashes the success of those that come outside of that range (including pick #6 and obviously the sum of any picks in the teens).
By splitting down & out of this premium range, we’re taking a much bigger risk - and data & history backs that up. So we’re going to need something pretty significant to do so, otherwise just keep it and take best available, if it’s Lalor/Fos, so be it.
Sydney are the blueprint and as long as you pick players that are capable/versatile enough you’ll be better than fine. Posted this yesterday, but upon reflection we actually compare really well with the type of players we’d have if we pick up Lalor/Fos. And they’re proof that kind of engine room can work:

LDU 80 (Heeney)
Wardlaw 75 (Rowbottom)
Lalor 50/30 fwd (Warner)
Sheezel 40/40 fwd (Adams)
McKercher 30/50 wing (Gulden)
Simpkin 30/50 fwd (Papley)
Parker 20/60 fwd (Parker)
————
Powell (Mills)
Phillips (Jordon)

Do you really think that Rawlings, Thursfield, Viney, Clarkson, and whoever else is involved is going to go “hang on, let’s see what Jon Ralph thinks we should do?”
That was kinda my point Passmore
We are listening to to pro-Richmond media or supporters telling us what our pick is worth. It’s diluting by the day, according to them. Hold firm or take the 2nd best kid. Pick 2 is worth a lot, to everyone.

That was kinda my point Passmore
We are listen to to pro-Richmond media or supporters telling us what our pick is worth. It’s diluting by the day, according to them. Hold firm or take the 2nd best kid. Pick 2 is worth a lot, to everyone.

What they say doesn’t matter. Pick 2 is worth what a team is prepared to pay. If we’re not getting a player we want at 6, we probably won’t do anything.

While I think Richmond will hold the whip hand when it comes to pick 2 there are other clubs that may also look to bundle up future picks in order to get a look in.

If I was the saints, I’d be trying my best to get pick 2 off of us, maybe through a combo of pick 8 and an F1. Gives them two picks inside the ten and they can add some real class to their midfield.

I doubt WC go too hard using their futures but they may be another option.

Tuggers will be in a world of pain unless they hit the very pointy end of the draft.

Pick 1 and 2 is crucial to the rebuild.

There will be average/good players outside of the top 6 or 7. There will be several busts as there always is.

As it stands Tuggers will get a great player at 1. Possibly a great/good player at 6. Anything after that could be anywhere from a bust to a good player with the odd great player.

Tuggers draft hand as it currently stands isn't going to save them considering they have PRESTIA, VLAUSTIN, LYNCH, BROAD, NANK, MCINTOSH all on the wrong side of 30 and being retired in the next 2-3. Not to mention the POTATO masquerading as a footballer called HOPPER.

Pick 1,2 and 10 is where they have the best chance to make something of this draft.

Giving us 6 and 11 is a no brainer.

Make it happen Snoz.

Sent from my SM-A156E using Tapatalk

Ok keep pick 2. I don't want to trade 2 or 3 picks for pick 2 anyway.
I think you want to trade it because you could probably get Tauru at pick 6 to 10, so you don't want to use pick 2 on him.
I'd be happy to take 7 picks and trade pick 23 for a future pick.
LOL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tuggers will be in a world of pain unless they hit the very pointy end of the draft.

Pick 1 and 2 is crucial to the rebuild.

There will be average/good players outside of the top 6 or 7. There will be several busts as there always is.

As it stands Tuggers will get a great player at 1. Possibly a great/good player at 6. Anything after that could be anywhere from a bust to a good player with the odd great player.

Tuggers draft hand as it currently stands isn't going to save them considering they have PRESTIA, VLAUSTIN, LYNCH, BROAD, NANK, MCINTOSH all on the wrong side of 30 and being retired in the next 2-3. Not to mention the POTATO masquerading as a footballer called HOPPER.

Pick 1,2 and 10 is where they have the best chance to make something of this draft.

Giving us 6 and 11 is a no brainer.

Make it happen Snoz.

Nope , no deal. If pick 2 is so awesome you should use it. We can get just a good a player at pick 6.

What they say doesn’t matter. Pick 2 is worth what a team is prepared to pay. If we’re not getting a player we want at 6, we probably won’t do anything.
Problem is we won't definitively know whether our player will still be available at 6 if we trade 2 out first.

There's an argument that if you're prepared to spend pick 6 on your first choice player (after pick one is known) then you might as well use pick 2 to absolutely guarantee it.

Our first choice could easily be gone by pick 6 if we slide down. I wonder if the extra pick compensates for that.

There is probably only one near certainty in the top 6 picks - Draper goes to Adelaide if still available. It seems a raffle at the very top end otherwise.

While I think Richmond will hold the whip hand when it comes to pick 2 there are other clubs that may also look to bundle up future picks in order to get a look in.

If I was the saints, I’d be trying my best to get pick 2 off of us, maybe through a combo of pick 8 and an F1. Gives them two picks inside the ten and they can add some real class to their midfield.

I doubt WC go too hard using their futures but they may be another option.
I'd love to move back a little bit, draft a guy like Tauru, and also land a high potential F1, rather than another pick in this draft.

We're bringing in a few vets, we already added a small forward with Konstanty (along with Payne and RHJ developing) and we have some guys who could really develop. We'd have developing KPPs in Tauru, Dawson, Goad and Maley.

If we show improvement this year, and look on the verge of finals, then we'd be loaded with picks to make some big trades next year (two top 10 draft picks and two F1s).

Problem is we won't definitively know whether our player will still be available at 6 if we trade 2 out first.

There's an argument that if you're prepared to spend pick 6 on your first choice player (after pick one is known) then you might as well use pick 2 to absolutely guarantee it.

Our first choice could easily be gone by pick 6 if we slide down. I wonder if the extra pick compensates for that.

There is probably only one near certainty in the top 6 picks - Draper goes to Adelaide if still available. It seems a raffle at the very top end otherwise.

True, but clubs generally will have a fair idea about the order that high.

It’s all going to come down to how much we love Draper and will Tauru make it to 6.

Next years 1st for 6 may also be in play. Could possibly get them both.

We won't be the one putting out offers for pick 2. We've let clubs know that we are open to splitting and the clubs come to us with offers and they would need to satisfy our demands. That always is and always will be the way it works when trading up unless trying to get points for matching. No one outside the clubs knows what that price is but 1 thing that is clear is Brady said we would only slide back a few spots.

F1 is a different story and we will be actively trying to use our F1 to trade in. I think it's more likely we keep 2 if clubs don't satisfy us and we trade in our F1.

I’ve think I’ve changed my tune with splitting pick 2 (probably change 10 more times before draft day..)

What about targeting a plastic franchise who have a bottomless bucket of picks like GWS’s 21 & 56 for our F2 & F3.

Keep 2 and get another jet, should be a potential gun KPF left at 21 and 56 could come into the 40’s with all the bids, so a slider could get through?..

Dunno.. so much to play out.

True, but clubs generally will have a fair idea about the order that high.

It’s all going to come down to how much we love Draper and will Tauru make it to 6.

Next years 1st for 6 may also be in play. Could possibly get them both.
I thought that too Mick. But, realistically, it's in every Club's interest to stfu at the pointy end about what their preferences are.

If it's true we've tipped into Tauru at 6, then just take the lad with pick 2. He does look a talent and it's conceivable with the building hype around him he could be gone by pick 6.

I thought that too Mick. But, realistically, it's in every Club's interest to stfu at the pointy end about what their preferences are.

If it's true we've tipped into Tauru at 6, then just take the lad with pick 2. He does look a talent and it's conceivable with the building hype around him he could be gone by pick 6.

Even Twomey generally gets the top 6 or so right on the day. I reckon the clubs would know.

That’s got merit, but BoomerRoo reckons Draper won’t get passed us at 2 (if we hold it) and I’m more than inclined to take that at face value.

should we keep or split pick 2?

which player would you select with pick 2 if we keep it?

if we split our pick 2 for pick 6 & 10 who would you pick?

if we split our pick 2 for pick 6 & 18 who would you pick?

should we trade our F1 to get another early pick this year?

if we traded out our F2 and we got a pick in the 20-30 range, who would you pick?

who would you pick with pick 62?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back