Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cowan unlikely mid, nor is Fogarty and Doc isn't either
Why is Cowan an unlikely mid? Played there on occasion in juniors to good effect and when used on ball in the VFl for a couple of games he looked a natural.

Fog was drafted as a mid and has always minutes there as brief rotation many times since returning to the side last year

Docherty has played plenty of games on ball and on the wing and never been found wanting. He's as versatile as we have on the list - or at least was before his 3rd knee, guess we wait and see how he comes back from that.

Why is Cowan an unlikely mid? Played there on occasion in juniors to good effect and when used on ball in the VFl for a couple of games he looked a natural.

Fog was drafted as a mid and has always minutes there as brief rotation many times since returning to the side last year

Docherty has played plenty of games on ball and on the wing and never been found wanting. He's as versatile as we have on the list - or at least was before his 3rd knee, guess we wait and see how he comes back from that.

I think it's hope, which coincides with list changes you prefer

Clearly haven't read a word outside what you've wanted to so I'm not even going to bother
With all due respect, we aint trading George or Chugga unless they request one.....which is highly unlikely.

And I also have absolute zero doubt that we wouldn't be playing finals if George wasn't in the side this year....consummate professional who's been our #2 mid behind Crippa.

Chugga underrated in the roles he's had to perfrom this year - from mid to full back to key forward.

You don't dispose of these types of players, you continue to build a list around them.

With all due respect, we aint trading George or Chugga unless they request one.....which is highly unlikely.

And I also have absolute zero doubt that we wouldn't be playing finals if George wasn't in the side this year....consummate professional who's been our #2 mid behind Crippa.

Chugga underrated in the roles he's had to perfrom this year - from mid to full back to key forward.

You don't dispose of these types of players, you continue to build a list around them.
And I'm not expecting either to be traded. Doesn't change my opinion on the matter.

At full strength one of Hewett, Cerra or Kennedy is nearly always pushed to either - A different role on the field (HBF, HFF), playing as the sub, or playing in the VFL. I'd rather the cap space and draft picks we could get by offloading one to be used to help fill our actual list holes. Imo we have adequate depth to rotate players through the midfield to cover their minutes if needed and if it helps secure us a quality KPD or skilled, hard working small forward I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

Am I going to crack the shits if we retain all of Cerra, Hewett and Kennedy going into 2025? Definitely not. All of them are proven AFL quality players and try their guts out each game... But I still think our midfield and our list as a whole would be more balanced without one of them if it allows us to address our other list issues.

I love them both and I’m a big believer in culture being built by maintaining heart and soul players … but with Lord showing good early signs they are going to be challenged to maintain senior selection.
Suspect the club will try to get value from Carroll as a first step of reviewing the midfield.
Yep. If we are trading out Carroll, which it seems we must given the numbers, it would make no sense to part with anyone else from our midfield core. Both Chugga (UFA) and George are out of contract at the end of next season if more changes are indicated.

Lord’s addition was mooted to “get ahead of the draft” and appears to have done just that. Common sense says the Campo boys are are next piece of generation next with draft and trade addressing other pressing needs on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I'm not expecting either to be traded. Doesn't change my opinion on the matter.

At full strength one of Hewett, Cerra or Kennedy is nearly always pushed to either - A different role on the field (HBF, HFF), playing as the sub, or playing in the VFL. I'd rather the cap space and draft picks we could get by offloading one to be used to help fill our actual list holes. Imo we have adequate depth to rotate players through the midfield to cover their minutes if needed and if it helps secure us a quality KPD or skilled, hard working small forward I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

Am I going to crack the shits if we retain all of Cerra, Hewett and Kennedy going into 2025? Definitely not. All of them are proven AFL quality players and try their guts out each game... But I still think our midfield and our list as a whole would be more balanced without one of them if it allows us to address our other list issues.
Understanding your rationale “Walshy”. You are looking to create spots and draft collateral. And yes, our midfield could do with a refresh of sorts. You are getting push back because most of us want to see more realistic options. We simply don’t trade out quality AFL standard players in their prime. Our team is largely “cooked” physically at the business end of the season, as it has been over the last couple of years. Quality depth in the engine room has been needed p, and will not be reduced other that young Carroll who will be a bigger loss than many realise. List is very tight and we do need to give a LITTLE, to add some pieces. Carroll and probably Owies is that “little” we have deemed acceptable to lose. In fairness, that is controversial enough. Along with the injury prone brigade, we will have fairly significant upheaval on the list in critical areas.

It would be nice to go into the draft with 5 list spots for that added flexibility, it seems a good draft to get 'lucky' and get two picks before a bid on Ben...just looking at the list it's easier said than done.
Yep, would love multiple picks. Reckon four pulls it up though. Barring something from left field we can maybe create six spots. (Marchy, Martin, Cuners, Owies, Carroll and perhaps push Fantasia to the rookie list, maybe we change the balance of main list to rookie by one temporarily) One to upgrade Boyd is most likely, and the dogs are barking for Haynes to take another. I am sure if we can trade in a mature KPD, we will do that which reduces numbers again, although I see that unlikely to eventuate.

Decent chance the other clubs overlook Lucas Campo to get him to the rookie draft, fingers and toes crossed.

Hewett is arguably our second best midfielder on form. Crazy talking about trading him.

Depends what you get for him. It's highly unlikely but an interesting discussion

Next year we will have Cripps Hewett Kennedy Walsh Elijah Cerra Lord Docherty Carroll (if he stays) as genuine mid options. That is before we trade or go to draft. I hope we look at Cincotta Kemp Charlie Fogarty Motlop Durdin for midfield minutes as well. Cowan another possible and Wilson, Ben Campo eventually

The system means sometimes you need to give up good things to improve

Last edited:
Yep, would love multiple picks. Reckon four pulls it up though. Barring something from left field we can maybe create six spots. (Marchy, Martin, Cuners, Owies, Carroll and perhaps push Fantasia to the rookie list, maybe we change the balance of main list to rookie by one temporarily) One to upgrade Boyd is most likely, and the dogs are barking for Haynes to take another. I am sure if we can trade in a mature KPD, we will do that which reduces numbers again, although I see that unlikely to eventuate.

Decent chance the other clubs overlook Lucas Campo to get him to the rookie draft, fingers and toes crossed.

Also, depends what picks we can get. If we somehow found 3-4 picks inside 30 I am sure we would find the spost to use them

Depends what you get for him. It's highly unlikely but an interesting discussion

The system means sometimes you need to give up good things to improve
If it meant acquiring a solid KPD, then I'd do it.
George is a reliable inside mid and too good and valuable for pure depth, but 1 or 2 mids might need to play VFL if all are available. Don't want slowish mids squeezed into the half-back or half fwd. line.

End of next year we'll see some veterans and handy players moved on anyway.

Understanding your rationale “Walshy”. You are looking to create spots and draft collateral. And yes, our midfield could do with a refresh of sorts. You are getting push back because most of us want to see more realistic options. We simply don’t trade out quality AFL standard players in their prime. Our team is largely “cooked” physically at the business end of the season, as it has been over the last couple of years. Quality depth in the engine room has been needed p, and will not be reduced other that young Carroll who will be a bigger loss than many realise. List is very tight and we do need to give a LITTLE, to add some pieces. Carroll and probably Owies is that “little” we have deemed acceptable to lose. In fairness, that is controversial enough. Along with the injury prone brigade, we will have fairly significant upheaval on the list in critical areas.

Does it? Serious question

Cripps has had a great year
Hewett up and down
Kennedy used all over the place but best role is mid
Cerra injured
Walsh injured
Lord looks very good
Elijah will be a star after another pre season
A fit Docherty is a STAR
Ollie trained a lot in middle last pre season and with Binns developing can he play there?
Ben Campo will come in but can't expect much year one
Wilson looks very good but is untested

Then we have "possibles" for mid minutes like Cowan Kemp Charlie Motlop Durdin Fogarty Cincotta

Talk is we are chasing someone like Garcia from Dogs. Then there is the draft

How many do we need? I think (if fit) we have a great looking midfield. It's how we play and use it that is the key for me

If we had to trade/swap a Hewett or Kennedy to get a gun KPD or X factor forward I'd look at it because we can cover what we lose

Not that it will happen, but if we were going to move on a senior mid for a pick/s, Kennedy would be the choice, not George.

We'd get more for him, and while he is more versatile, he is less consistent, and not as good as a pure midfielder.
You'd only do it to obtain a player of more need.
Last week everyone except Cripps, Walsh, Charlie, Harry and TDK were being pushed out the door to obtain a good player of more need.
What's the difference?

Not that it will happen, but if we were going to move on a senior mid for a pick/s, Kennedy would be the choice, not George.

We'd get more for him, and while he is more versatile, he is less consistent, and not as good as a pure midfielder.

I don't agree. Kennedy's issue is he can fill other roles and is used as such to plug holes. IMO leave him the middle and he is very very good

Does it? Serious question

Cripps has had a great year
Hewett up and down
Kennedy used all over the place but best role is mid
Cerra injured
Walsh injured
Lord looks very good
Elijah will be a star after another pre season
A fit Docherty is a STAR
Ollie trained a lot in middle last pre season and with Binns developing can he play there?
Ben Campo will come in but can't expect much year one
Wilson looks very good but is untested

Then we have "possibles" for mid minutes like Cowan Kemp Charlie Motlop Durdin Fogarty Cincotta

Talk is we are chasing someone like Garcia from Dogs. Then there is the draft

How many do we need? I think (if fit) we have a great looking midfield. It's how we play and use it that is the key for me

If we had to trade/swap a Hewett or Kennedy to get a gun KPD or X factor forward I'd look at it because we can cover what we lose
The word refresh was not the words add to. We need to modify, no, to enhance the way we play. More spread, better defensive work and better connection. Is it personnel, is it coaching/game plan?

I do not question the quality of what we have. We have a few out of contract at the end of next season, if there are any alterations to make, it will be then. Hoping Voss “test drives” a few combinations during 2025 and let them find their levels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back