Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 10 5.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely you jest. This kid is dynamic. Fleet footed. Penetrating kick, great overhead. Watch his round 1 highlights in the Coats league this year. That’s the real FOS. The rest of the year he was cruising. Wonder why…
Is that the OAK v GWV game?
Look he's not slow, has a massive kick, has pretty good game-sense and is pretty tenacious - he'll be a good player for us.

But he doesn't have great speed, great skills or great vision. What clips (armchair expert) I have seen show footy smarts and tenacity. He will be good, but what does he bring that Cerra, Walsh, Lord and the Campos don't/won't? I don't see how he complements any of Cripps or our future midfield.

Draper however is absolutely lightning, awesome skills, great vision and game-sense and is a good size, has strong leadership qualities, and is a teammate of 2 of our new recruits for multiple years now. None of Cripps or our future midfield can do what he can and let's face it, there's hardly any in the AFL who can. So long as he's not a FIGJAM then you draft him and get to work on 2025 working on better and faster ball movement - our biggest weakness.

Smith seems to me like his game is the all-round package, but he looks a bit undersized for us, and might not have the immediate impact we would be hoping for until he can put on the size and muscle, which may even slow him down a little (but I still think he has a great footy brain that will keep him looking quick).

Lalor and Draper have the size and game IMO to impact in '25 and beyond, but I'm not sure that Lalor is the pressing need if Moir comes on and E Hollands continues to impact/improve. I would argue that if we had Smith or Draper (or Houston) to help move the ball better and faster then a Lalor or Hollands will look like superstars. But I still don't see how O'Sull helps this to happen.

Last edited:
So I think Smith, Lalor, and Smilie are interesting players in the mix for top 5 in the draft, but I still don't see the point of trading away a 2nd grab at that top 20.

In that overall range, I find Draper, Trainor, and Allan to be somewhat difficult picks for us despite their talents, and I would be actively avoiding Lindsay, O'Sullivan and Langford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not fully on board with our move up the draft ranks, considering the depth of talent in this draft. But seeing as it's happened, hope we pick Smith or Draper.
+1 on Smith or Draper but leaning towards Draper. He would be a perfect fit in our midfield with Cripps and Walsh

I don't know if it's just me. But Draper reminds me of Chad Warner... Yep. I'll take him thanks.

I’d be happy with any of Shifter’s group, but think you’d have to add Langford and Lalor to that.

I don’t think we need the fastest player, just someone with line-breaking power which can come from strength or speed, within reason.

I mean, if you were offered a second Cripps, you’d take it every day of the week … thus, while I doubt he’s our target, it’s hard not to see the appeal of Smillie (who appears more agile and definitely a much better kick than Crippa). They would physically destroy most midfields (if he came on).

Tough call for Austin if we have pick 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back