• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • Other

Votes: 14 8.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we have also rightly just become more critical of the draft class compared to the days of people just regurgitating what Shifter had to say.
To me, the top end has always been a little questionable. Not sure of the star quality. The high rating of the draft is more about the depth of talent down to pick 40 or further.

Using a Carlton metric, we are hanging out to get Ben Camporeale at 30 plus. He outperformed Draper at the championships. Draper is a genuine no. 1 candidate. FWIW, I have him and Jagga Smith bracketed at the top. Top 10 is nit great when a player as speculative as Tauru seems to now be locked in there.

Dozens of solid citizens who mostly will be safe picks and 100+ game players. Brownlow Medals? Mayne not!

To me, the top end has always been a little questionable. Not sure of the star quality. The high rating of the draft is more about the depth of talent down to pick 40 or further.

Using a Carlton metric, we are hanging out to get Ben Camporeale at 30 plus. He outperformed Draper at the championships. Draper is a genuine no. 1 candidate. FWIW, I have him and Jagga Smith bracketed at the top. Top 10 is nit great when a player as speculative as Tauru seems to now be locked in there.

Dozens of solid citizens who mostly will be safe picks and 100+ game players. Brownlow Medals? Mayne not!
Yeh I agree in that I wouldn’t be desperate to get anyone in this draft but happy with about 25 players around our picks. I do think players like Jagga and Ashcroft are somewhat underrated considering what they done at VFL level compared to someone like Walsh was.

AFL Draft 2024: Finn O’Sullivan a complete package as Blues eye him with pick 3​

I really like the look of Finn O’Sullivan. Hasn’t been able to get going this year due to a range of injuries with hand, hip and leg but despite that he does things in game that really standout.

His athletic combination of speed, agility and endurance is probably in the top bracket for afl players.

If not for injury l would have expected him to be the standout number 1 pick. It does make it difficult to be sure about a player when you don’t get to see him at his best in his final year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think I might have moved from the Berry camp to the Hannaford camp, the main reason is Hannaford's ability to do things that I don't think other players on our list are capable of (See 1:14 here). Meanwhile, Berry does a lot of things well, but most of his goals seem to come from set shots, or getting on the end of a team move. I don't think hes a great crumber, nor does he seem to create a goal from nothing inside 50. Hannaford has many deficiencies as a player compared to Berry, but I think his willingness to attack the game and make something happen is what we need.

I am probably gonna look a bit silly here, I still think Berry can be a great player, looks sure to be at least a good player.

Overall, I have gone a little cold on this draft to be honest, despite all the flowers coming for it. Is Berry, Shanahan, Lindsay etc. really that much better than the players that normally go in the early teens? I am not convinced, I almost see the strength of the draft being that there are 30 players you'd take before pick 21 most years, which doesn't necessarily leave us in the perfect spot with 12&14. For example, I'd be happy to pick Hannaford, Hynes, Marshall, or Gerryn with a first rounder most years but some of them will slip into the 20s.

Travaglia was the one for me and I still rate him, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, his dismal 20m sprint has put me off. I think Murphy Reid will be a great player, but not one I'd pick for us. In the end, I'd love to make it 3x Croweaters and trade up for Draper. For me, he rises well above the others mentioned as likely to go top 5. I understand why Richmond would take Smith over him, but otherwise, I don't think clubs should hesitate to take him with pick 2 onwards.

I think l see Berry in a similar light. Berry is probably a better outside player than hannaford. I could see Berry playing a high half forward role providing run and using his skill, linking up well in team plays. He is a well rounded package in that light.

Hannaford plays a more inside game where he’s a ball winner but also has excellent speed on the outside. He makes things happen and plays a much more contested rugged game. Although he is a bit more rugged his kicking looks good and usually hits his targets when taking shorter options. Sometimes he needs to lower his eyes instead of just kicking long. When l see his chase down tackles l think what a huge difference that would make to Carlton around the clearances.

I lean towards hannaford but they will probably both be good players but in different ways.

Last edited:
I think I might have moved from the Berry camp to the Hannaford camp, the main reason is Hannaford's ability to do things that I don't think other players on our list are capable of (See 1:14 here). Meanwhile, Berry does a lot of things well, but most of his goals seem to come from set shots, or getting on the end of a team move. I don't think hes a great crumber, nor does he seem to create a goal from nothing inside 50. Hannaford has many deficiencies as a player compared to Berry, but I think his willingness to attack the game and make something happen is what we need.

I am probably gonna look a bit silly here, I still think Berry can be a great player, looks sure to be at least a good player.

Overall, I have gone a little cold on this draft to be honest, despite all the flowers coming for it. Is Berry, Shanahan, Lindsay etc. really that much better than the players that normally go in the early teens? I am not convinced, I almost see the strength of the draft being that there are 30 players you'd take before pick 21 most years, which doesn't necessarily leave us in the perfect spot with 12&14. For example, I'd be happy to pick Hannaford, Hynes, Marshall, or Gerryn with a first rounder most years but some of them will slip into the 20s.

Travaglia was the one for me and I still rate him, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, his dismal 20m sprint has put me off. I think Murphy Reid will be a great player, but not one I'd pick for us. In the end, I'd love to make it 3x Croweaters and trade up for Draper. For me, he rises well above the others mentioned as likely to go top 5. I understand why Richmond would take Smith over him, but otherwise, I don't think clubs should hesitate to take him with pick 2 onwards.

Travaglia s 20m sprint time has also given me pause and made me take a second look at his highlights. He has terrific endurance but poor burst speed.

I think he will be one of those terrific half backs that a team can depend on week in week out to play to a high standard and play 200+ games. His endurance will mean he will provide run but he won’t be dynamic.

I have real doubts though on him being a midfielder which previously l thought was a possibility. I don’t think he’s an inside clearance player like Cripps who distributes the ball and l also don’t think he will be able to break away from a stoppage. Having the leg drive to break away seems to be what teams want from there midfielders today.

Travaglia s 20m sprint time has also given me pause and made me take a second look at his highlights. He has terrific endurance but poor burst speed.

I think he will be one of those terrific half backs that a team can depend on week in week out to play to a high standard and play 200+ games. His endurance will mean he will provide run but he won’t be dynamic.

I have real doubts though on him being a midfielder which previously l thought was a possibility. I don’t think he’s an inside clearance player like Cripps who distributes the ball and l also don’t think he will be able to break away from a stoppage. Having the leg drive to break away seems to be what teams want from there midfielders today.

Plow was a dashing defender as a junior. Was never really able to provide dash and rebound at AFL level

Does anyone know what Josh Weddle 20m sprint time was. I see Travaglia as very similar to Weddle, both endurance beasts and very athletic.

Both play similar styles imo

If you have a decent tank as a junior, you can look quicker than you are just by being able to run at max speed for longer. Doesn't necessarily translate to AFL where everyone is much fitter, and you need genuine line breaking pace in order to be able to play the same way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long time lurker on here and follower of the draft.
One player being completely forgotten is Jasper Alger, he is well worth a late pick.
If you watch the VIC C V SA game he was instrumental.
Tested very very well, highly skilled finisher. List has glaring weakness in 2 areas, this is one.
Firmly in the camp of taking 12 and 14 in the draft.
Dream would be Berry and Hannaford for me. With Alger a late pick, Berry and Alger already combine well.
Hannaford is exactly what we need.
Would also consider Tauru with those picks with that other glaring weakness.

Long time lurker on here and follower of the draft.
One player being completely forgotten is Jasper Alger, he is well worth a late pick.
If you watch the VIC C V SA game he was instrumental.
Tested very very well, highly skilled finisher. List has glaring weakness in 2 areas, this is one.
Firmly in the camp of taking 12 and 14 in the draft.
Dream would be Berry and Hannaford for me. With Alger a late pick, Berry and Alger already combine well.
Hannaford is exactly what we need.
Would also consider Tauru with those picks with that other glaring weakness.
Welcome!

As much as I like all 3 players there's no chance we delist Owies and then pick up 3 small forwards in the draft.

If you have a decent tank as a junior, you can look quicker than you are just by being able to run at max speed for longer. Doesn't necessarily translate to AFL where everyone is much fitter, and you need genuine line breaking pace in order to be able to play the same way.

I am a believer in endurance covering for a lack of short distance speed during the coarse of a 2 hour game of football.

Sam Walsh is a case in point. Was seen as a bit vanilla with a lack of top end speed. But during games he looks quick because during his repeat efforts he maintains his speed.

Sam Walsh still ran 20m sprint in 3.00 sec l believe.

How many games did he play as a genuine mid this year?
Not many but doesn't matter for me, played in the mid in the biggest game of the year. Looked a lot better than some other more highly rated mids on the biggest stage. Go watch that game, was unbelievable. Was given the chance and showed he should have been played their earlier.

Not many but doesn't matter for me, played in the mid in the biggest game of the year. Looked a lot better than some other more highly rated mids on the biggest stage. Go watch that game, was unbelievable. Was given the chance and showed he should have been played their earlier.
I watched the whole game, he was very very good.

However, I wouldn't be drafting someone based off 1 game in a different position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back