Votes: 15 5.6%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 21 7.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching more Oakley games, I have to say that Jagga is amazingly impressive and is flying under the radar a bit. If I was Richmond I would take him for sure. He always seems to attack the front of the stoppage, I don't think I've ever seen him fumble, combines composure and "slippery-ness" in traffic to ensure he finds the best option, and is an absolute footy-magnet. I don't agree that he isn't impactful, I think that is often something one says about prospects who get a lot of inside-footy. He is a nice kick, knows where the big sticks are, and is quick. Combine that with his decision making and there have been a couple games that he has completely broken open.

This video shows all you could want to see in a midfield draft prospect. I would be worried for him if he does go to the Tigers, because he could end up being absolutely smashed from pillar-to-post in that team.

I'm now firmly in the Draper > Jagga >>> Lalor > FOS camp

Wow, he’d be fantastic forward and midfield. Significantly better game than anything I’ve seen from FOS, clearance stats would have been off the charts in that game and whilst I’m not into watching Coates League games Sandringham is nearly always up there as a top feeder team so he wouldn’t have been playing against gumps.

Just a bit small would be the only query but he’s quick, super agile and just doesn’t fumble under pressure

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

FOS is more impactful with his disposal which is what we need, just because he doesn’t get high numbers is not a negative and I don’t see why people see that as a negative.

Give me impactful, quality disposals with a goal or 2 over a high 30-40 disposals that don’t have impact any day!!

Look at Will Ashcroft

So many different opinions on who we should take... draft night can't come quick enough

Considering Adelaide only have 4 and 64, nothing would work this year anyway.

I think a reason why we targeted Pick 3 is interest in Draper. Gives us a chance before Adelaide get theirs.
We initially went for pick 2. Maybe we were just going down the order and would've hit the Crows up if WCE said no.

Crows may have said yes given the big gap between picks.

Last edited:
A point worth noting in this comparison of different types and whether they suit us, is not all these guys will turn out to be quality of players. Yes, our odds are much higher picking at 3 but not guaranteed.

If there is a top 5, in all likelihood, there will be a few stars, a few good long terms players, and at least 1 bust. Avoid the busts and get a star should be the top priority. You can make arguments that all the guys suit us in different ways.

As soon as we float the offer they know we aren't taking Draper and don't give us anything

Don’t float an offer, just need to be very excited to him and his manager that he’s a chance to be at the club. No guarantees, but we’d love to have him

Let the crows make an offer

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

FOS is more impactful with his disposal which is what we need, just because he doesn’t get high numbers is not a negative and I don’t see why people see that as a negative.

Give me impactful, quality disposals with a goal or 2 over a high 30-40 disposals that don’t have impact any day!!

Look at Will Ashcroft

Will Ashcroft not a great example. He is an absolute ball magnet. It's one of his defining qualities.

For all this talk about damage vs possessions, if you are going to be a star mid at afl level then you need both. One or the other isn't good enough. There isn't a star mid in the afl that is averaging high teens/low 20s disposals. The lower possession high damage mids are still averaging 25+.

After watching more Oakley games, I have to say that Jagga is amazingly impressive and is flying under the radar a bit. If I was Richmond I would take him for sure. He always seems to attack the front of the stoppage, I don't think I've ever seen him fumble, combines composure and "slippery-ness" in traffic to ensure he finds the best option, and is an absolute footy-magnet. I don't agree that he isn't impactful, I think that is often something one says about prospects who get a lot of inside-footy. He is a nice kick, knows where the big sticks are, and is quick. Combine that with his decision making and there have been a couple games that he has completely broken open.

This video shows all you could want to see in a midfield draft prospect. I would be worried for him if he does go to the Tigers, because he could end up being absolutely smashed from pillar-to-post in that team.

Smith and Draper (and Lalors) highlights are so much better than FOS's.

Not only do they pass the eye test easily, but their numbers are also better and they've done it against men (where FOS struggled to get 12 touches and didnt have an impact at VFL level).

I'm not even sure I'd have FOS at 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Ashcroft not a great example. He is an absolute ball magnet. It's one of his defining qualities.

For all this talk about damage vs possessions, if you are going to be a star mid at afl level then you need both. One or the other isn't good enough. There isn't a star mid in the afl that is averaging high teens/low 20s disposals. The lower possession high damage mids are still averaging 25+.
JHF 21.8 this year

If we are really dead keen on O’Sullivan (as media has suggested) and he goes before our pick, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone from “left field” like Langford is read out on draft night. there must be than two or three we are interested in.

Last edited:

I have been thinking a similar order of preference but the more footage I see of Jagga such as your link the more I’m leaning towards Jagga as priority. Think he may have a higher ceiling than Draper.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you had to put money on it, who do you think will be taken by Richmond & North before our pick?

Richmond will likely trade Pick 2 in from North (and hand over 6 and -20?-).

North want Tauru and he'll still be there at 6.

I reckon the Tiges take Lalor at 1 and FOS at 2. Both are types they dont have at the moment, and they can afford to take the risk on FOS with Lalor being a cert to make it.

24 touches, with a few being turnovers. Hardly setting the world on fire, and people are ranting about this kid.

Low disposal non damaging mid who went backwards this year. Am I the only one seeing this?
Preaching to the choir. Been saying it all year on the draft boards, but he's defended to the enth degree for some reason.

He's had a year as bad as Moir did but Moir slipped to 30 and FOS is still a chance to go 1... It's bizarre

He’s had a fit Curnow, McGovern and a mature Walsh and Cerra. Really can’t see much difference. Perhaps are slightly harder edge at the contest. Look how far that gets you though.
It's the teams inconsistency that worries me.
Why do we crash for lengthy periods after performing well, with similar groups of players available?

That's a coaching thing.

Preaching to the choir. Been saying it all year on the draft boards, but he's defended to the enth degree for some reason.

He's had a year as bad as Moir did but Moir slipped to 30 and FOS is still a chance to go 1... It's bizarre

Watching his footage vs Smiths and the difference is so stark.

Smith follows up his work, is always involved in the play, and has repeat efforts. High footy IQ.

FOS... doesnt.

Which is why one of those players got over 30 touches playing against men in the VFL and the other scraped in 12 touches (despite being bigger bodied).

Lalor is already damaging and hard as a cats head. Evasive, agressive and fast. Also a multi discipline athlete and injured this year. He's only going to improve from what is already looking damn impressive.

Draper is lightning, makes good decisions and has also proven himself vs men (averaging 25 disposals over 7 weeks in the SANFL).

FOS is 10 times the footballer I'll ever be, but there is no way in hell I'd draft him in the top 5. He's lucky to make the top 10 for mine.

If he makes it at AFL level, it would take time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back