• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Joe Berry
Toby Travaglia
Ben Campo
Lucas Campo
Luke Kennedy

Would be a fantastic haul in my eyes

KPP the only concern, but I'd think we'll be looking to address that with mature agers given it's such an immediate need.
Like it. With Ben Camp coming in and Lord looking a likely type you just wonder if we will trade one of Kennedy or Hewitt as our mid mix that is already top heavy will be even further skewed. Trading Kennedy / Hewitt would help unlock an extra quality pick and I think with the depth of this draft it would be worth exploring should the draft pick price be right.

I’m actually really interested in Hotton. Hotton and Walker in a couple of years time playing forward then going through the midfield would be a nightmare for oppositions.

I’m really of the opinion we need an influx in youth asap and hope we can somehow get Hotton along with Berry or Lindsay this year without giving up a future 1st.

After seeing those Motlop speeds I thought I’d look at the GWS game where I thought their run and speed killed us so was interested to see players like Daniels, Jones, Bedford etc.

Top 5 fastest on the field
Cripps
Himmelberg
Kennedy
Walsh
Saad
Wow if this is right I'm stunned.

I was at that game and remember thinking that i have rarely seen a faster team than GWS.

I’m actually really interested in Hotton. Hotton and Walker in a couple of years time playing forward then going through the midfield would be a nightmare for oppositions.

I’m really of the opinion we need an influx in youth asap and hope we can somehow get Hotton along with Berry or Lindsay this year without giving up a future 1st.
If Hotton and Berry ended up coming on as well as hoped it would be a dynamite mix for the future. Add Walker to that in 2026 and you have probably the best group of goal kicking mid/fwds around the league.

My biggest question on Hotton is the knee. He's a player who relied heavily on agility and change of pace to create separation compared to a player like Draper who's more of a straight line acceleration type.

How does he look coming back from an ACL? Elijah was fairly similar as a junior and it took him a few years to look right and find his sidestep and pace in his first few strides again.

Lalor and Draper I presume will be gone so Trainor or Travaglia would be great picks and on draft night I’d have our future first on the table for as long as Hotton and Berry are available. As others have mentioned, I don’t think any club would bite but if Richmond get a huge haul of picks they might want to push one into next year or possibly GC might be willing to trade one for points and a future pick. It probably wouldn’t be cheap though.

If Hotton and Berry ended up coming on as well as hoped it would be a dynamite mix for the future. Add Walker to that in 2026 and you have probably the best group of goal kicking mid/fwds around the league.

My biggest question on Hotton is the knee. He's a player who relied heavily on agility and change of pace to create separation compared to a player like Draper who's more of a straight line acceleration type.

How does he look coming back from an ACL? Elijah was fairly similar as a junior and it took him a few years to look right and find his sidestep and pace in his first few strides again.
That’s how I look at it also with Berry, Hotton and Walker. That mix is crazy good!

As for Hottons knee. Plenty do an acl and come back fine. I don’t think you can worry about that. Hopefully he has 12 plus amazing years in navy blue.

I think we need to get our forward and midfield mix right over the next couple of years. Do that and the football doesn’t get to our backline as much while we kick more goals.

Like it. With Ben Camp coming in and Lord looking a likely type you just wonder if we will trade one of Kennedy or Hewitt as our mid mix that is already top heavy will be even further skewed. Trading Kennedy / Hewitt would help unlock an extra quality pick and I think with the depth of this draft it would be worth exploring should the draft pick price be right.
Hard to envisage a quality pick for Hewett or Kennedy. It's a late pick or a marginal upgrade at best.

Top speed is not the speed we're lacking. We lack acceleration and agility.

Just like Sam Frost chased down Jack Petruccelle, you'd never find a supporter saying Frost is faster than Petch in general.

Motlop and Cripps, Kennedy, JSOS etc may have good top speeds but are treacle paced off the mark which is what's needed to get separation from their opponents up forward.

Players in this draft like Draper and Berry have genuine explosive acceleration and agility. That's the type of trait we're after.
Yeah this is bang on

Harry and Saad are lightning off the mark, so are Kemp and Durdin.. but H is not agile and Saad is the only one of the rest with a decent enough tank to go quick siren to siren

Darcy Jones has come back from an ACL injury his first year incredibly well

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Darcy Jones has come back from an ACL injury his first year incredibly well

Jones is a fairly different athlete to Hotton but yes he has. If the club thinks Hottons knee is looking good then I'd have no issue taking him.

Still something to weigh up though, Hotton was the first name I wanted this year from memory after a few eye catching performances kicking goals from the midfield early in the year, so by no means to I dispute his talent.

Joe Berry
Toby Travaglia
Ben Campo
Lucas Campo
Luke Kennedy

Would be a fantastic haul in my eyes

KPP the only concern, but I'd think we'll be looking to address that with mature agers given it's such an immediate need.
will definitely be interesting to see which way the club goes, personally i think they will go with Trainor if he is still on the board at first pick, if not then Travaglia and will take one of the tall swingman options in the next round (Whitlock, Tauru, Shanahan) if they miss on trainor

Last edited:
Jones is a fairly different athlete to Hotton but yes he has. If the club thinks Hottons knee is looking good then I'd have no issue taking him.

Still something to weigh up though, Hotton was the first name I wanted this year from memory after a few eye catching performances kicking goals from the midfield early in the year, so by no means to I dispute his talent.

Could this be a similar story to Brayden George at NMFC, mid-30’s pick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your post made me think of Tom Gross. Not sure if you’ve noticed him but hes a bit of a rugged type. 180cm forward midfielder who attacks the ball, good in a contest and kicks the odd goal. Could add some real spark to the forward half of the ground. Does need to clean up his kicking a little. His style of play makes me think ex bulldog player Liam Picken or maybe a lesser version of wardlaw.

I’m really interested to see his results at the draft camp. As a 180 cm player his speed/agility/endurance combination needs to be very good.

Could be a good second round pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I watched latest highlights of Tom gross and he looked a little different to what l originally thought. Maybe a bit more polished.

I was interested in him as a second round pick who might add a bit of spark in the forward half. Could also rotate through midfield occasionally with his type of attack on the ball. We need someone with a bit of zip who’s quick to get to lloose ground balls and run angles to create.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hawks game and gws game keeps reminding us of the importance of high half forwards. Players that contribute immensely in team defence, primarily at stoppages and loose ball gets. But can then transition forward with hands, kicking and endurance with reasonal speed to spread forward again.

Any in this group? Any that have additional weapons like marking, goal kicking etc.

Ideally a one touch player.

Gee Kayle Gerreyn is impressing me. Could be the perfect complement to TDK as a forward/ruck.

He looks like he’ll be a monster frame when he matures. Physical presence, good skills and the nous/desire to get involved.

Son of a very handy WAFL player, Chris Gerreyn who played for both Claremont and East Perth in the 1990's as a ruck/forward at a time when both clubs were strong. (Premiership/Grand final appearances respectively).
His old man once kicked 11 in a game and also went on to coach the colts side at East Perth.
So the young fella definitely has a good football bloodline. Will do a lot worse than to give him a chance.

PS - I'm not sure but we could have another C(S)incotta situation on the cards here. I distinctly remember his old man being called on air as Gerr-eye-an, so whether that is correct or the pronunciation as in the commentary of that game is correct I don't know.
Great prospect though.

Last edited:
31. Jesse Dattoli

31. Jesse Dattoli

32. Tom Sims

32. Tom Sims

33. Harry O'Farrell'Farrell

33. Harry O'Farrell

34. Ben Camporeale

34. Ben Camporeale

35. Angus Clarke

35. Angus Clarke

36. Adrian Cole

36. Adrian Cole

37. Archer Day-Wicks

37. Archer Day-Wicks

38. Charlie Nicholls

38. Charlie Nicholls

39. Xavier Ivisic

39. Xavier Ivisic

40. Lachie Jaques

40. Lachie Jaques

41. Josh Dolan

41. Josh Dolan

42. Jasper Alger

42. Jasper Alger

43. Joel Cochran

43. Joel Cochran

44. Clancy Dennis

44. Clancy Dennis

45. Lucas Camporeale

45. Lucas Camporeale

46. James Barrat

46. James Barrat

47. Ollie Warburton

47. Ollie Warburton

48. Jaxon Artemis

48. Jaxon Artemis

49. Malakai Champion

49. Malakai Champion

50. Tyler Welsh

50. Tyler Welsh
In my opinion, this offering from Code Sports is the most realistic draft ranking to be seen in the media this year.

Edit: Kayle Gerreyn a notable omission. As is Hamish Davis.

Last edited:
In my opinion, this offering from Code Sports is the most realistic draft ranking to be seen in the media this year.

Edit: Kayle Gerreyn a notable omission. As is Hamish Davis.
I actually got it off the Hun website, Code Sports is a Newscorp offshoot who Cavanagh and Batten are employed by. Same article different channel. ;)

Hi Guys, I haven't posted a lot in here yet but thought you might be interested in Tobie given he's been playing for your VFL team.

----

Another strong VFL showing from Tobie Travaglia to follow up his solid debut last week. He appeared more confident this week, running off his man more proactively to get involved in transition ball movement and zoning off his man to fill gaps defensively and intercept the ball coming into D50. The only slight negative is the few times he turned the footy over in dangerous areas, perhaps rushed by the greater pace and intensity than he's used to.

Depending on how far we fall Draper is obviously the dream, but Travaglia at 13, Lindsay at 16 and Berry at 17 would be great for us if we could get 2 top 15ish picks.

As others have mentioned above, trading an Owies type or a Kennedy/Hewett could unlock that for us without giving up our future first by packaging them up with a F2 or our 2nd this year.

Gold coast, Brisbane and the Swans have a plethora of academy kids next year they might look to load up on picks for and sacrifice their position this year.
Don’t we have 2 highly rated academy kids next year?

Don’t we have 2 highly rated academy kids next year?
We do have two excellent prospects, both named in best players in recent U17 Futures game. Tyson Gresham small forward/outside mid and Jack Ison tall utility taking intercept marks for fun at the lower level. Far too early to tell if they are going to push to the pointy end of the draft. At this stage, best guess would be second rounders, but heaps to play out.

Haynes without draft capital is a no brainer. I don’t believe we have the scope for trading in premium talent. To contemplate trading multiple firsts would have us foregoing all top end picks bar Cody Walker leading to multiple compromised drafts with Tassie coming in. Makes no sense to leave such a hole in our future. Would guarantee a smaller window and falling off a cliff. With judicious additions this year and next along with faith and development in what we already have, we could be looking at a window of a decade or more.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back