• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Haynes at 32 is an 8 game a year S Durdin Marchbank replacement. He is not the 23 game L Young upgrade to free Weitering
Yeah, NAH.

2021 - 21 games
2022 - 17 games
2023 - 20 games
2024 - 7 games + 9 VFL games

Not without some injuries along the way, but your sensationalism has no basis.

He is in the twilight of his career, but so is Sam Docherty, so is Nick Newman.

It is about the best option without compromising our draft hand or breaking the bank. No brainer.

He is not a genuine KPD, but can play taller to better effect than Gov or the lesser version of Kempy(good Kempy adequate and awesome) I am sure if there is a hidden gem key defender out there (maybe Charlie McCartin) we will be seeking them out.

Yeah, NAH.

2021 - 21 games
2022 - 17 games
2023 - 20 games
2024 - 7 games + 9 VFL games

Not without some injuries along the way, but your sensationalism has no basis.

He is in the twilight of his career, but so is Sam Docherty, so is Nick Newman.

It is about the best option without compromising our draft hand or breaking the bank. No brainer.

He is not a genuine KPD, but can play taller to better effect than Gov or the lesser version of Kempy(good Kempy adequate and awesome) I am sure if there is a hidden gem key defender out there (maybe Charlie McCartin) we will be seeking them out.
Yeah but Hamstrings. 32+ is going to be a big risk.

We do have two excellent prospects, both named in best players in recent U17 Futures game. Tyson Gresham small forward/outside mid and Jack Ison tall utility taking intercept marks for fun at the lower level. Far too early to tell if they are going to push to the pointy end of the draft. At this stage, best guess would be second rounders, but heaps to play out.

Haynes without draft capital is a no brainer. I don’t believe we have the scope for trading in premium talent. To contemplate trading multiple firsts would have us foregoing all top end picks bar Cody Walker leading to multiple compromised drafts with Tassie coming in. Makes no sense to leave such a hole in our future. Would guarantee a smaller window and falling off a cliff. With judicious additions this year and next along with faith and development in what we already have, we could be looking at a window of a decade or more.
We have 3 players next year, one of Isons teammates at Oakleigh is part of our academy.

His name is in academy thread, no idea of quality though

Just checked, Mingarra Clark

Last edited:
If we were to miss finals and ended up with pick 10, what could we expect to gain by trading down to 16-18 if we wanted Berry for exampl?

Last year clubs paid heaps, a few years ago we were able to get a pick around 22 for Philp.

Two picks ahead of B Camp would be ideal

If we were to miss finals and ended up with pick 10, what could we expect to gain by trading down to 16-18 if we wanted Berry for exampl?

Last year clubs paid heaps, a few years ago we were able to get a pick around 22 for Philp.

Two picks ahead of B Camp would be ideal
Don't think there will be the same sort of market for splitting picks from an opposition perspective. With such an even draft this season pick 10 and pick 16-18 will hold a far closer value than previous years where there was bigger drop offs from the top 10 prospects onwards

Don't think there will be the same sort of market for splitting picks from an opposition perspective. With such an even draft this season pick 10 and pick 16-18 will hold a far closer value than previous years where there was bigger drop offs from the top 10 prospects onwards

Are you one of the Berry fans? I dont watch games, so i just go off the players write up, role and our needs, if we maintain our current pick, is a player like Berry a reach? Even though we might not get much, do you think trading down is an option or too big a risk?

I see it as a easy way to get an extra pick in, without having to trade a player of future pick.

I also think, there has to be clubs who will be willing to trade their first rounders or early seconds to save them being chewed up by academy bids.

Are you one of the Berry fans? I dont watch games, so i just go off the players write up, role and our needs, if we maintain our current pick, is a player like Berry a reach? Even though we might not get much, do you think trading down is an option or too big a risk?

I see it as a easy way to get an extra pick in, without having to trade a player of future pick.

I also think, there has to be clubs who will be willing to trade their first rounders or early seconds to save them being chewed up by academy bids.
I believe we'd be pretty happy if Berry were available at our pick.
Regarding trading down, it would come down to how far down/what return.
I'd be open to it as I think there'll be some handy players available later on.

I'm a big Berry fan. Probably one of the head cheerleaders of the Joe Berry fan club around here. I also think anywhere above 10 is fair price to pay for Berry, below that and I think you take the lesser fitting talents like Lalor, Smilie etc if they fell that far.

For me, I'd be trying to trade in for a 2nd first round pick using our future picks and/or trading some fringe players. Owies, Kennedy/Hewett types who we may not miss too much due to team balance but still hold some currency.

My dream haul is

Joe Berry (10-15)
Tobie Travaglia/Xavier Lindsay/Taj Hotton (14-18, from trading in for a 2nd bite somehow)
Ben Campo (Match bid around 30-40)
Lucas Campo (Match bid around 40-60)
Luke Kennedy (Rookie)

Then hitting up the FA and trade markets to acquire some cheap KPP depth and maybe a another role player or two like Rosas or Garcia.

Head into 2025 something like this with some speed, class and youthful energy across the ground and with plenty of depth underneath that can actually stay on the park. Not as keen on the Petracca or Houston type acquisitions that have been rumoured.

Travaglia Weitering Saad
Mcgovern ?????? Newman
Acres Cripps O.Hollands
Berry Mckay Fogarty
Williams Curnow Rosas
Dekoning Walsh Cowan

Silvagni E.Hollands Docherty Cerra

Last edited:
I'm a big Berry fan. Probably one of the head cheerleaders of the Joe Berry fan club around here. I also think anywhere above 10 is fair price to pay for Berry, below that and I think you take the lesser fitting talents like Lalor, Smilie etc if they fell that far.

For me, I'd be trying to trade in for a 2nd first round pick using our future picks and/or trading some fringe players. Owies, Kennedy/Hewett types who we may not miss too much due to team balance but still hold some currency.

My dream haul is

Joe Berry (10-15)
Tobie Travaglia/Xavier Lindsay/Taj Hotton (14-18, from trading in for a 2nd bite somehow)
Ben Campo (Match bid around 30-40)
Lucas Campo (Match bid around 40-60)
Luke Kennedy (Rookie)

Then hitting up the FA and trade markets to acquire some cheap KPP depth and maybe a another role player or two like Rosas or Garcia.

Head into 2025 something like this with some speed, class and youthful energy across the ground and with plenty of depth underneath that can actually stay on the park. Not as keen on the Petracca or Houston type acquisitions that have been rumoured.

Travaglia Weitering Saad
Mcgovern ?????? Newman
Acres Cripps O.Hollands
Berry Mckay Fogarty
Williams Curnow Rosas
Dekoning Walsh Cowan

Silvagni E.Hollands Docherty Cerra

Id love as many selections as possible but you haven’t included any key backs with any picks, this would be crazy, if we were to get extra picks, id hope we did it be trading picks or trading down, the more AFL standard players we lose from our side, the more our depth and VFL side suffers.

The last ranking of Berry had him at 18, which is why i have been pondering the trading down prospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough decisions to be made for sure. We need a KPD to develop (also in my mind need to grab a mature one, but that is a different discussion) but whether to go with our first or risk waiting is the question. That in part is dependent on whether we think we can engineer a second pick before Ben Campo bid comes. Of course quality players can bob up later in the draft and do all the time but the odds favour the early pick. I'd be inclined to use a pre Ben Campo pick on a KPD but if we have 2 it might be the second one if a quick mid (or mid/fwd) with good disposal was available at our first pick.

If it were up to me and we managed 3 extra selections in this year's draft, in addition to the Camporeales, then two of them should be KPPs. We probably won't get another chance in the next three drafts.
We are not getting three extra selections unless you are factoring in rookies.

We need two spots for the Camporeales unless Lucas lasts to the rookie draft. We need one spot to upgrade Boyd. We reportedly will be taking Haynes as a Free Agent.

Delisting or trading Cuningham, Martin and Marchbank gives us three. Trading Owies and Jack Carroll is another two. For mine, no way we find another two spots. Would need to push Fantasia to the rookie list (or delist contracted player) and trade another contracted player, perhaps Binns which has been discussed on Gettable and other “pods”. Anyone advocating we don’t upgrade and keep Boyd.

Absolutely if we can find a depth KPP as a rookie or a suitable kid lasts that long we should take a second bite in that area.
Wot if Berry, Hotton, Travaglia and Trainor are available at our first pick...and we have a second pick around 28.

Do we take the KPD(Trainor) with the first, or hold back and chase a cheaper KPD with 28, or even a later pick?
Trainor is going to be a top end pick, very, very unlikely he falls out of the top half dozen (I suspect North grab him)
There will be quality KPD’s in the second round range, so we could definitely look at Berry or a quick outside/inside mid like Lindsay there, if he lasts that long (I suspect he may go higher than the popular Phantoms have him). The question maybe whether we have the picks for a second off the “open list”.

Travaglia is a good player, but we have greater positional needs IMO and I think we would be reluctant to take Hotton off his ACL given the dumping of injury “cursed” players. (He would be playing by May though, all things being equal).

We are not getting three extra selections unless you are factoring in rookies.

We need two spots for the Camporeales unless Lucas lasts to the rookie draft. We need one spot to upgrade Boyd. We reportedly will be taking Haynes as a Free Agent.

Delisting or trading Cuningham, Martin and Marchbank gives us three. Trading Owies and Jack Carroll is another two. For mine, no way we find another two spots. Would need to push Fantasia to the rookie list (or delist contracted player) and trade another contracted player, perhaps Binns which has been discussed on Gettable and other “pods”. Anyone advocating we don’t upgrade and keep Boyd.

Absolutely if we can find a depth KPP as a rookie or a suitable kid lasts that long we should take a second bite in that area.

Trainor is going to be a top end pick, very, very unlikely he falls out of the top half dozen (I suspect North grab him)
There will be quality KPD’s in the second round range, so we could definitely look at Berry or a quick outside/inside mid like Lindsay there, if he lasts that long (I suspect he may go higher than the popular Phantoms have him). The question maybe whether we have the picks for a second off the “open list”.

Travaglia is a good player, but we have greater positional needs IMO and I think we would be reluctant to take Hotton off his ACL given the dumping of injury “cursed” players. (He would be playing by May though, all things being equal).
Re Travaglia and positional needs I agree with have greater positional needs but that said his role is one area where a number of our older players currently fill so at some stage in the reasonably near future we may need to look at drafting someone in.

Wot if Berry, Hotton, Travaglia and Trainor are available at our first pick...and we have a second pick around 28.

Do we take the KPD(Trainor) with the first, or hold back and chase a cheaper KPD with 28, or even a later pick?
Travaglia, although he plays across halfback atm he imo will become a midfielder, reminds me of Rory Sloane in his draft year who i was desperately hoping the club would pick with our first, we passed him over 3 times…
There should be a handful of different KPD’s types within the second round to choose from depending on actual club draft pick selections held…

Travaglia, although he plays across halfback atm he imo will become a midfielder, reminds me of Rory Sloane in his draft year who i was desperately hoping the club would pick with our first, we passed him over 3 times…
There should be a handful of different KPD’s types within the second round to choose from depending on actual club draft pick selections held…
To me he projects as a Will Day type mid.

But in the short term he covers Cowan's spot down back and allows Cow to move into the midfield as that powerful defensive mid with good composure and run.

Berry still my favorite, but Travaglia is a close 2nd

To me he projects as a Will Day type mid.

But in the short term he covers Cowan's spot down back and allows Cow to move into the midfield as that powerful defensive mid with good composure and run.

Berry still my favorite, but Travaglia is a close 2nd
I’ve been putting a dollar coin in a jar every time i read one of your posts you bring up Berry’s name…

Currently sitting on $237…. 😜

Yeah i like Berry as well, just have Travaglia ahead of him atm, planning to rewatch the Championships during the pre finals bye for a second look on a few players, then make a bit of a list…

I’ve been putting a dollar coin in a jar every time i read one of your posts you bring up Berry’s name…

Currently sitting on $237…. 😜

Yeah i like Berry as well, just have Travaglia ahead of him atm, planning to rewatch the Championships during the pre finals bye for a second look on a few players, then make a bit of a list…
I've been teaching persuasive techniques all term, repetition is the only one the year 8s seem to have any grasp on

how deep is this draft
Compared to recent drafts, it is the Mariana Trench😉

There will be decent prospects right through. 10-40 will be subjective and a few decent speculators will last longer.

The top end is less definitive, a few questions over most of the Top 10 touted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back