Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft picks: 11, 31, 62, 65, 69
List chasm: The Blues are well placed for a premiership tilt, perhaps not this year, but definitely in 2025. Injuries played a big role in limiting Carlton’s ability to make the top four this season, so their number one priority should be making sure the list is fit and firing for round one next year. However, one area of potential improvement for the Blues is their small forward stocks. Matthew Owies has booted 33 goals so far this season and has filled that role admirably, while Zac Williams was thrust forward late in the season and has returned 15 goals. Targeting a good small forward at the draft should be priority one for Michael Voss and his recruiting team.

Ideal draft prospects: One prospect the Blues could look at with their first selection is Vic Country livewire Joe Berry. Berry booted nine goals in an eye-catching display in the National Championships for Vic Country, where he asserted himself as one of the best smalls in the draft pool. He’s a creative genius around the big sticks and his high footy IQ makes him a handful for opposition defenders. The Blues will also land father-son duo Ben and Lucas Camporeale. Ben was awarded South Australia’s MVP at the National Champs having averaged 26.8 disposals and 4.5 clearances per game, while Lucas is a hard-running winger who was also a part of the AFL Academy.

Asked Noober to mash up Jesse Datolli's game on the weekend given we've been linked to him a few times now on here. Convinced Austin is allergic to picking players who can run the 100m in less than 15seconds if the links are true.

Last edited:
Asked Noober to mash up Jesse Datolli's game on the weekend given we've been linked to him a few times now on here. Convinced Austin is allergic to picking players who can run the 100m in less than 15seconds if the links are true.

Looks like a very accomplished footballer, neat skills by hand and foot, both sides of the body. But yeah, it would be nice to get some pure speed into the side.

Looks like a very accomplished footballer, neat skills by hand and foot, both sides of the body. But yeah, it would be nice to get some pure speed into the side.
Looks a mid at the next level to me. Kicking seems fairly good in this video too which is at least part of our problem he could help with, but he looks to go long a fair bit rather than hit up any short options or change angles.

Looks a mid at the next level to me. Kicking seems fairly good in this video too which is at least part of our problem he could help with, but he looks to go long a fair bit rather than hit up any short options or change angles.
I really liked his stoppage work and craft with hands in close. Looks like a natural footballer. A classic Voss/Austin selection. They like the tough big bodied mids with good hands

I really liked his stoppage work and craft with hands in close. Looks like a natural footballer. A classic Voss/Austin selection. They like the tough big bodied mids with good hands
Yes he looks the archetype for a Voss/Austin selection... Issue is that's not what we need in this team right now imo. We need a Collingwood, Sydney or GWS type player to balance out our brutish list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be opposed to us finding the right pick for Harry Oliver, tough and a great left peg, reckon he might be one taken in the second round that is definitely going to be an AFL player
Yep, my periodic re watch of champs games has him more and more obvious as a star of the future. He is a very solid defender, reads it well, athletic enough and has an absolutely gorgeous left peg. Don’t remember seeing better kicking watching the kids. The perfect Saad replacement when the time comes. Lucas Camporeale may be earmarked for the role. Lucas has good disposal, but is more in to weighting kicks than direct, punchy connection. Oliver is in a different level.

An exercise with our list, less likely departures, shows a gaping hole in both tall and small/medium defenders. With Newman, Saad, Doc and McGovern relatively close to the finish, we need some pieces if generation next. Kemp remains a candidate for the McGovern third tall rebounder, but if he is deployed forward, we could end up almost “skint” very quickly. Cowan shapes as a 12 year defensive staple, but the Tassie expansion is yet to play out. He may end up an inaugural skipper candidate which would be hard to resist. Thinking Wilson will in time be a decent piece, and Ollie has shown up as an option, however may stay as a wing staple as Acres ages. The Campo boys could both play HBF, so we have options, but surely we needs some more players developing, hopefully including a likely elite option such as Oliver.

As to where Oliver goes in the draft, could be late first to as far as early third given the even group we have to choose from.

If Carlton are keen on Dattoli, from the look of the video, they are interested in a guy who can play both forward and midfield. In terms of him being a midfielder they may be looking for someone with some real agility around the stoppages who can get the loose ball or apply pressure. At 180cm he might provide that quick reaction around stoppages.

Dattoli does some really impressive things in the video. Some of the disposal is excellent. His contested work looks strong for his size. Will be really interested in his athletic testing at draft camp to get an idea of his speed,agility,endurance combination.

Dattoli and Gross are similar in terms of being 180cm players who are both strong in the contest and play both forward and midfield. Both seen as second round picks at this stage although l think it was said dattoli is on the rise and could go higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If Carlton are keen on Dattoli, from the look of the video, they are interested in a guy who can play both forward and midfield. In terms of him being a midfielder they may be looking for someone with some real agility around the stoppages who can get the loose ball or apply pressure. At 180cm he might provide that quick reaction around stoppages.

Dattoli does some really impressive things in the video. Some of the disposal is excellent. His contested work looks strong for his size. Will be really interested in his athletic testing at draft camp to get an idea of his speed,agility,endurance combination.

Dattoli and Gross are similar in terms of being 180cm players who are both strong in the contest and play both forward and midfield. Both seen as second round picks at this stage although l think it was said dattoli is on the rise and could go higher.

How does he differ from Hotton?

Both Dattoli and Gross sound similar to me...If all three were available at our first pick which would you take?

Both Dattoli and Gross sound similar to me...If all three were available at our first pick which would you take?

Hotton looked terrific before acl. Would have been top 10. Is a favourite of mine.

Order;
Hotton(not sure about acl though)
Dattoli
Gross

Hotton is half forward/midfielder. Slightly taller medium forward than small. Plays a bit more outside than other two, really nice evasion and movement. Probably quicker. I think Hotton would suit Carlton’s needs, just depends on risk with acl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Don’t think any of us more casual observers can assess Hotton accurately.
His early season form was electric both midfield and forward, he is/was blessed with pace and athleticism arguably above anyone else in the draft class.

Should be ready to go in May, so arguably won’t miss much of the season. Does a club moving on from perennially injured players draft a kid off an ACL? I am sure there are degrees of the injury, clinical likely to return to pre injury levels and some who do a more complete job with more doubt on the prognosis and perhaps threat of re-injury. Kemp sure doesn’t show any residual effects of his.

I regard Dattoli and Gross as likely AFL standard players, but don’t see a big upgrade on the likes of Fogarty. They strike me as each way bets, conservative selections. BTW prefer Dattoli to Gross on my viewing, don’t see anything special re Gross. I actually like SA mid/small forward Jacob Newton as much as either, and he should be available much later in proceedings or maybe even the rookie draft. As usual most casual watcher are too “Viccentric”

Don’t think any of us more casual observers can assess Hotton accurately.
His early season form was electric both midfield and forward, he is/was blessed with pace and athleticism arguably above anyone else in the draft class.

Should be ready to go in May, so arguably won’t miss much of the season. Does a club moving on from perennially injured players draft a kid off an ACL? I am sure there are degrees of the injury, clinical likely to return to pre injury levels and some who do a more complete job with more doubt on the prognosis and perhaps threat of re-injury. Kemp sure doesn’t show any residual effects of his.

I regard Dattoli and Gross as likely AFL standard players, but don’t see a big upgrade on the likes of Fogarty. They strike me as each way bets, conservative selections. BTW prefer Dattoli to Gross on my viewing, don’t see anything special re Gross. I actually like SA mid/small forward Jacob Newton as much as either, and he should be available much later in proceedings or maybe even the rookie draft. As usual most casual watcher are too “Viccentric”

Based on that single video I think dattoli would be a significant upgrade on Fogarty. Dattoli’s kicking is on another level. He’s just a far more polished player whilst still being strong in the contest.

Need a KPD and someone with real pace - preferably in the midfield. Competent disposal a must, elite preferred. If we can keep 2 picks before Ben Campo then we should be able to get a potential gun with the first and a real shot at the second, remembering the draft is a gamble and there are plenty of guys who looked the goods who for whatever reason don't make it in the big league.

Based on that single video I think dattoli would be a significant upgrade on Fogarty. Dattoli’s kicking is on another level. He’s just a far more polished player whilst still being strong in the contest.

This type of post rankles me no end. I have stated that a raw 18yo is a possible upgrade on a proven AFL player who is pretty much first chosen in his role when fit. That is a fair shout out for the kid.

You choose to state that off a single video he would be a significant upgrade on Fogarty. That is incongruous. We would all like a few upgrades, but we don’t need to disrespect the boys to discuss it.

This type of post rankles me no end. I have stated that a raw 18yo is a possible upgrade on a proven AFL player who is pretty much first chosen in his role when fit. That is a fair shout out for the kid.

You choose to state that off a single video he would be a significant upgrade on Fogarty. That is incongruous. We would all like a few upgrades, but we don’t need to disrespect the boys to discuss it.

You talk as someone who hasn’t been on these forums for long. The amount of disrespect that goes on here and you’re worried about me seeing a future prospect as an upgrade on a current player. You need a bit of perspective.

Fogarty is an honest trier. That’s how l see him. He is limited.

When l describe dattoli as an upgrade it’s with a lot of projection. Based on what he does today he has significant upside over Fogarty. Do l know how hard he will work in an afl system, no. Will he have the work rate of Fogarty, l don’t know.

Maybe upside would have been a better word than upgrade.

Maybe we should go through all your old posts and check out the respect you have shown the boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back