• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Houston is a lock to be one of the best HBF'ers in the league. He has been top 10 for a few years, I'd take that in a heartbeat over getting Berry.
Mortgaging the future for a 27 year old is only worth while if it helps us win a flag in the next few years imo. It's a gamble the list team is going to have to weigh up.

I think I've just accepted that we're probably going to trade some of our picks out to spend on some sugar hits rather than build some quality youth through the hitting the draft hard... but my dream of Berry + Hotton or Berry + Travaglia won't die until we see Dan Houston in a Carlton kit in a few weeks time!

I'm still not sure what the right strategy is for our overall list, Houstons a weapon and could deliver us a flag next year... but if it doesn't come off and we miss out on some of these kids in this draft we're looking very very thin in the youth department with Tassie very near on the horizon.

Houston + Berry/Hotton somehow would be a thing of joy but can't wrap my head around how it gets done.
I’d rather Berry & Travaglia over Houston.

Move Curnow back he can dominate in the air & distribute like our other defenders can’t.

Cowan Weitering McGovern
Travalgia Curnow Saad
Newman

Berry Moir Fogarty
Silvagni McKay Rosas
?

Mortgaging the future for a 27 year old is only worth while if it helps us win a flag in the next few years imo. It's a gamble the list team is going to have to weigh up.
2 picks before the Campo's this year in a strong draft then secure Weits and TDK.
Free up salary cap space next year by moving on oldies like Doc, then go hard at some quality free agents.

Last edited:

Move Curnow back he can dominate in the air & distribute like our other defenders can’t.

Cowan Weitering McGovern
Travalgia Curnow Saad
Newman

Berry Moir Fogarty
Silvagni McKay Rosas
?
Curnow's (and McKay) disposal is very hit and miss. When it comes of it is amazing but for every one or 2 great kicks there is a shank or a dicey disposal.

In the forward line you can make these mistakes . Not so down back

Curnow's (and McKay) disposal is very hit and miss. When it comes of it is amazing but for every one or 2 great kicks there is a shank or a dicey disposal.

In the forward line you can make these mistakes . Not so down back
Fair point although would still have faith that Charlie would be fine. Both backline & fwd line look more versatile plus we get another 2 kids in.

I know they won’t put Charlie back but I have seen it suggested elsewhere so I’m not on my own.

I think I've just accepted that we're probably going to trade some of our picks out to spend on some sugar hits rather than build some quality youth through the hitting the draft hard... but my dream of Berry + Hotton or Berry + Travaglia won't die until we see Dan Houston in a Carlton kit in a few weeks time!

I'm still not sure what the right strategy is for our overall list, Houstons a weapon and could deliver us a flag next year... but if it doesn't come off and we miss out on some of these kids in this draft we're looking very very thin in the youth department with Tassie very near on the horizon.

Houston + Berry/Hotton somehow would be a thing of joy but can't wrap my head around how it gets done.
All about the future pick(s) Walshy. All the trade deals would have been done weeks if not months ago. Drafting is not necessarily the key for where we are at right now if chasing the premiership next year.
This off season, for me, is probably the most crucial in many years. Fascinating.

All about the future pick(s) Walshy. All the trade deals would have been done weeks if not months ago. Drafting is not necessarily the key for where we are at right now if chasing the premiership next year.
This off season, for me, is probably the most crucial in many years. Fascinating.
Agree. Huge off season for this club.

He reminds me of Milne with his acceleration and agility. Gets the legs pumping and gets himself out of a jam.

Agreed that he’s not as silky as Berry but he’s got speed, overhead marking, goal sense and desire to be physical and lay tackles. I’ll be interested in his combine testing (I believe he got overlooked for the national version but I assume he’ll get to the state combine) but it looks like his game will translate to the AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes hannafords physicality is a standout. His attack on the ball is just so aggressive. Even going for marks against taller opponents he just hits the pack hard.

Berry plays a bit more like an outside player. Great skills, polished, smart, but not as physical.

Would like to have both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You rate two people that you've probably watched a total of 3 times (at best) play football over a guy that has been rated in the top 10 players by champion data for a number of years.

If either of those players end up to be half as good as Houston we're lucky.
This is a classic example of overrating draft picks.

The only real concern for me with regards to Houston is the salary cap constraints. Assuming we're not paying a kings ransom in draft picks to secure him.

We are akin to Port Adelaide. Port have always thought they were close & have not realised that too many fundamentals are missing

Collingwood last year had some areas of concern, yet they still won.

Often teams have an area which is weak, you just need a collective buy in and everything to click. Hawks have buy in and up until recently a good run with injuries. Look at their season.

Last year we were close to a finals and who knows what happens when you make it.

This year was destroyed by injuries throughout the season and some issues behind the scenes.

I have faith we have the list, we just need a few elements to click. Currently, small forward and maybe speed around the ball.

Moir, Lord, Wilson, {insert a recruit}....

Natural development of our list, we're mostly on the improvement spectrum of our key players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Often teams have an area which is weak, you just need a collective buy in and everything to click. Hawks have buy in and up until recently a good run with injuries. Look at their season.

Last year we were close to a finals and who knows what happens when you make it.

This year was destroyed by injuries throughout the season and some issues behind the scenes.

I have faith we have the list, we just need a few elements to click. Currently, small forward and maybe speed around the ball.

Moir, Lord, Wilson, {insert a recruit}....

Natural development of our list, we're mostly on the improvement spectrum of our key players.

Having a healthy list going into the final is key, plus they were riding a big momentum.

We were riding that wave last year as well till we were out of juice and players were struggling due to all the niggles.

Salary cap is an equalisation method to make sure ALL clubs have flaws on the list.

We've gone with a superstar spine, others have different mixes but no team is a complete work.

Great recruitment and development can mitigate it a bit... but you know that already

Salary cap is an equalisation method to make sure ALL clubs have flaws on the list.

We've gone with a superstar spine, others have different mixes but no team is a complete work.

Great recruitment and development can mitigate it a bit... but you know that already
Just hoping Martin, Williams coming off some big contracts.

Having a healthy list going into the final is key, plus they were riding a big momentum.

We were riding that wave last year as well till we were out of juice and players were struggling due to all the niggles.

The idea of a banged up list can be a little deceiving, why was it banged up? Could it be the coach, which he has been accused of this year and previously, of not spreading the work load and not blooding kids throughout the season.

Could 3-4 more games from Dow throughout the season have kept a few other players fresher? Same with Carrol?

Being out of juice can be and i see it as a coaching issue.

The idea of a banged up list can be a little deceiving, why was it banged up? Could it be the coach, which he has been accused of this year and previously, of not spreading the work load and not blooding kids throughout the season.

Could 3-4 more games from Dow throughout the season have kept a few other players fresher? Same with Carrol?

Being out of juice can be and i see it as a coaching issue.

Bingo, it’s whole of squad to get through an AFL season..it’s too brutal on the body

Trick is to use them before the best get banged up too bad and keeping them fresh

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back