• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What do we make of Riley Bev stating that Cooper Hynes in on our radar at #11?

Tactical statement?

Looks a good size at 1.90m with some burst and power.

Is he a mid?

I think Cooper hynes is a player with a high ceiling. Has a bit of the degoey about him. Powerful type of player who would probably play half forward with stints in the midfield.

A lot depends on his testing at draft combine. The knock on him might be his athleticism. His speed,agility,endurance combination will be important. Especially endurance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tactical statement?

Is he a mid?

He’s a genuine Jake Stringer clone in my eyes.
Strong and powerful, I’d be interested in seeing his 2km time trial results at the combine. If they are half decent then he could push for selection in year one.

Does some brilliant stuff (absorbs contact well and finds a deft handball to a clear player) that makes you think he’s an extremely high IQ player then complements it with absolute brain fades. A bit like Mitch McGovern.

I see him starting as a third tall forward with occasional centre bounce attendances, and see how his fitness progresses over time to see if that mix changes.

If we took him it would show me that one lesson from the loss to the Lions was that we need more strong bodies in the team. He’s going to be an absolute unit in a professional S and C program.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tactical statement?

Is he a mid?
Aerially impressive
Strong in the contest
Can find the footy
Kicks goals.

But..

He's slow
Field kick is below average for me.

I don't mind him as a forward prospect who can pinch hit as an inside mid. But I think we have more pressing priorities from a list perspective.

Aerially impressive
Strong in the contest
Can find the footy
Kicks goals.

But..

He's slow
Field kick is below average for me.

I don't mind him as a forward prospect who can pinch hit as an inside mid. But I think we have more pressing priorities from a list perspective.

Fair summary.

I wonder how much of his slow movement is due to a lack of aerobic fitness. Does he just gas out quickly and therefore can only jog his way around the field?

If he built his aerobic base would he be able to work through his gears better?

Fair summary.

I wonder how much of his slow movement is due to a lack of aerobic fitness. Does he just gas out quickly and therefore can only jog his way around the field?

Not sure, but he can put up impressive numbers in the middle so if he's gassing out he still finds a way to hunt the footy.

He sort of reminds me of LDU without the explosiveness.

Fair summary.

Cam Rayner ran an 8min + 2km but was still explosive at junior level. If he is slow at junior level because of his tank it will only be worse at senior level regardless of how much he improves his tank

Not a fan of Hynes. We need fast and skilful players - he is neither of those things IMO.

I question how effective he'll be at the next level. He looks like a man-child type that relies on his brute strength to overwhelm opponents which will not happen for him against AFL bodies. Also massive question marks on his footy IQ. As another poster has pointed out, he can do some brilliant things ... but he seems to struggle with doing the simple things well. Lots of handballing to teammates under pressure and kicking long to packs. Also saw him kick it through for a behind from the goal square once.

Not a fan of Hynes. We need fast and skilful players - he is neither of those things IMO.

I question how effective he'll be at the next level. He looks like a man-child type that relies on his brute strength to overwhelm opponents which will not happen for him against AFL bodies. Also massive question marks on his footy IQ. As another poster has pointed out, he can do some brilliant things ... but he seems to struggle with doing the simple things well. Lots of handballing to teammates under pressure and kicking long to packs. Also saw him kick it through for a behind from the goal square once.
…and he has no left foot. Good size but meh, dunno.

Still have Lindsay as my number one (assuming Lalor and a couple others don't fall through).

I'm also warming up to Berry. Does everything well for a small forward. Only question mark is his X factor. He's lacking the oomph I want in a small forward. Reminds me of a mix of Durdin and Fogarty.

What am I reading? People can't tell the difference between a player doubling back or not, and a player bursting away then setting themselves for the kick.

Davies-Uniacke was underrated by some around here for his burst, and a more powerful and accurate kick along with looking smoother when moving, but he was not quicker than Hynes at the same age. Definitely isn't now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've watched a few Hotton vids, and I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed. He's athletic, and looks to work hard defensively, but he's mostly outside from what I've seen, his kicking is not great and he makes has some issues with his decision making at times.

Maybe I've watched the wrong videos? I've seen someone compare him to Chris Judd, but I haven't seen anything like that. He moves well, but his skills are lacking a little. Is this a high ceiling thing based on his attributes?

Nowhere near Judd. I watched the highlights package someone posted and yes he racked up the possessions and you hit the nail on the head. Decision making, foot skills, skills by hand all underwhelming and mostly a receiver.

Nowhere near Judd. I watched the highlights package someone posted and yes he racked up the possessions and you hit the nail on the head. Decision making, foot skills, skills by hand all underwhelming and mostly a receiver.
I would ignore the Judd comparisons beyond there being a strong package of speed and endurance with the ability to accumulate and take the game on in the forward half.

There's elements, but I can't quite see him consistently bursting out of a stoppage... maybe at centre bounces in the right setup, but you can say the same thing about Daicos to an extent.

If he was coming off a year without the knee concern, he'd probably be in the conversation at 3-8 in this draft pool, and may still be.

I think Cooper hynes is a player with a high ceiling. Has a bit of the degoey about him. Powerful type of player who would probably play half forward with stints in the midfield.

A lot depends on his testing at draft combine. The knock on him might be his athleticism. His speed,agility,endurance combination will be important. Especially endurance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I actually say the other way around - burst speed & power. We have enough endurance types, we need someone who can break outta the pack and kick it from outside 50 (ala de Goey - like you originally said).

I would ignore the Judd comparisons beyond there being a strong package of speed and endurance with the ability to accumulate and take the game on in the forward half.

There's elements, but I can't quite see him consistently bursting out of a stoppage... maybe at centre bounces in the right setup, but you can say the same thing about Daicos to an extent.

If he was coming off a year without the knee concern, he'd probably be in the conversation at 3-8 in this draft pool, and may still be.

Fair enough.

A couple of things I wasn't a fan of was his kicking, which was quite loopy and slow and he appeared very hesitant up the ground when taking a mark or winning a free, you could almost see his brain ticking over; ignored numerous runners going past then eventually dumped kicked it forward to out numbers or just missed targets and this happened on more than a few occasions.

Just didn't strike me as anything other than average/good. if it was down to highlights I'd have Berry way before him (and I don't even see the need for another small forward).

I actually say the other way around - burst speed & power. We have enough endurance types, we need someone who can break outta the pack and kick it from outside 50 (ala de Goey - like you originally said).

Hynes won’t be an endurance type. It’s more that his endurance isn’t too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fair enough.

A couple of things I wasn't a fan of was his kicking, which was quite loopy and slow and he appeared very hesitant up the ground when taking a mark or winning a free, you could almost see his brain ticking over; ignored numerous runners going past then eventually dumped kicked it forward to out numbers or just missed targets and this happened on more than a few occasions.

Just didn't strike me as anything other than average/good. if it was down to highlights I'd have Berry way before him (and I don't even see the need for another small forward).
See I saw someone who was trying to break the game open with long kicking, but I agree he could stand to add more in terms of his short game.
Hynes won’t be an endurance type. It’s more that his endurance isn’t too bad.
He might be an endurance type for his size, which is enough and would break games open from the stoppage.

Thank God. I thought I was going nuts.

I watched his academy vs Coburg tape and one other, and I kept seeing negatives. I'm trying to see how it translates to the big time. Athleticism and some burst speed for sure, but his options are often poor and his handling scrappy.

Thank God. I thought I was going nuts.

I watched his academy vs Coburg tape and one other, and I kept seeing negatives. I'm trying to see how it translates to the big time. Athleticism and some burst speed for sure, but his options are often poor and his handling scrappy.

I don't think he would be prominent on Austin's radar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back