• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 10 7.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I suggest you watch more matches and watch intently. He is not even close to an eatalite ball user. I recall all the draft gurus saying the same thing about Lochie O’Brien in his draft year. He butchered the ball at the highest level. Looked great but the results were poor.
We must be watching a different player, have watched him several times at some games, his ball use & decision making is at a high level, also know recruiters rate this area of his game, Lindsay will definitely be in the 10-16 range.

If we are being serious most of these players are yet to be the finished product, pretty sure need to also consider this.

We must be watching a different player, have watched him several times at some games, his ball use & decision making is at a high level, also know recruiters rate this area of his game, Lindsay will definitely be in the 10-16 range.

If we are being serious most of these players are yet to be the finished product, pretty sure need to also consider this.

I’m saying his skills are vastly overrated. Honestly don’t know what he adds to us. We have enough strong runners that can find space. Travaglia, Berry, Hannaford etc I can see the strong case for.

If I had 12 AND 13 I’d go the other way. I’d go UP. Both NM and WC are looking to split their high picks.

12/13 in a deal for 2 OR 3.

Get the next big thing in Smillie. Tom Green clone.
There's a reason those clubs are wanting to split their high picks.

The top 10-15 this year has very little to separate them. Each have strengths and flaws. This isn't like last year, where every club would have given picks galore to secure Harley Reid. Having multiple first round picks this year is likely more valuable than a single high pick.

Personally, I wouldn't be making that trade.

But in any case, if we do secure a second first round pick, it's probably for a player trade (Houston or whoever).

Smillie probably won't last to our pick 12, but rankings have been all over the place, so who knows. I like him, but he's not worth two first round picks.

There's a reason those clubs are wanting to split their high picks.

The top 10-15 this year has very little to separate them. Each have strengths and flaws. This isn't like last year, where every club would have given picks galore to secure Harley Reid. Having multiple first round picks this year is likely more valuable than a single high pick.

Personally, I wouldn't be making that trade.

But in any case, if we do secure a second first round pick, it's probably for a player trade (Houston or whoever).

Smillie probably won't last to our pick 12, but rankings have been all over the place, so who knows. I like him, but he's not worth two first round picks.
Only player id be moving up for is Draper, but even then Id rather get 2 top 15 picks than just Draper

If we could get GCS’s pick or somehow another in that range if possible its still…

First pick Travaglia
Second pick Hannaford/Berry

O’Farrell or Marz as KPD’s for a selection in the second round would be my choices as well…
Expect Trainor and Lindsay to be also in the mix with others mentioned for different reasons.

Bit worried about Trainor’s concussions, hopefully they don’t impact a very promising career…

Lindsay’s decision making and ball use are first class, he opens the game up…
A concern I'd have with Lindsay is where he'd play? Does he get a game ahead of our half backs or our wings next year? Imo fairly unlikely. Does he get a go on ball for us? Id say chances are almost 0 with that.

Someone like Travaglia who's better in the air likely gets a look in earlier for what he can do defensively and he provides a bit of a POD around the ground with his run and carry.

I really like Lindsay as a player but I'm not sure he's the best fit for us at our first pick purely based on our pre existing list strengths.

Certainly wouldn't be upset if we picked him but wouldn't be my first choice.

Interesting that Austin said we’re looking at having at least four picks in the national draft.

He was also enthusiastic but non committal about the Campo’s. It would be a dream if we could get three picks before a bid on Ben and then take Lucas as a rookie.

Something like a Travaglia, Hannaford, Dennis/Gerreyn combination before taking Ben would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bit worried about Trainor’s concussions, hopefully they don’t impact a very promising career…

Lindsay’s decision making and ball use are first class, he opens the game up…
Trainor was rated top 5-8 for most of the season, sure clubs will do the due diligence, we definitely need a developing key defender behind Weitering, probably are a few other options also.

A concern I'd have with Lindsay is where he'd play? Does he get a game ahead of our half backs or our wings next year? Imo fairly unlikely. Does he get a go on ball for us? Id say chances are almost 0 with that.

Someone like Travaglia who's better in the air likely gets a look in earlier for what he can do defensively and he provides a bit of a POD around the ground with his run and carry.

I really like Lindsay as a player but I'm not sure he's the best fit for us at our first pick purely based on our pre existing list strengths.

l would argue that we currently don't have alot of quality ball users & good decision makers. Lindsay is strong in those areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

l would argue that we currently don't have alot of quality ball users & good decision makers. Lindsay is strong in those areas.
I agree, but defensively Hollands and Acres are much better players, and I can't see him taking Newman, Saad, Doch or Cowan's spot at half back while they're still there.

I just don't see him as a positional need as Austin alluded to, more so just a good all rounder like Mitch Duncan.

Some Unofficial 20m sprint times from big footy draft thread.

From national combine
Leo Lombard 2.851 (second)
Jasper Alger 2.931 (fourth)

From state combine
Hannaford 2.954

Hannaford is right up there. Torn between him and Berry.
Keen to compare hannaford and berrys results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

From national combine

From state combine
Hannaford 2.954

I never would have guessed Jasper Elger would be top 5 in sprint. If anything, when l was watching the champs, l thought he was a bit lacking athletically. Will be interesting to see the rest of his results because as a small forward he seemed pretty consistent and did some good things.

I never would have guessed Jasper Elger would be top 5 in sprint. If anything, when l was watching the champs, l thought he was a bit lacking athletically. Will be interesting to see the rest of his results because as a small forward he seemed pretty consistent and did some good things.

Algers a horrendously inconsistent player. Id argue he's every bit as 'talented' as Berry or Hannaford but he has a bad habit of turning invisible for long stretches and getting himself in a bind trying to do too much sometimes.

He's highly athletic though, great leap on him too.

Very big ceiling if he sorted out his form fluctuations.

I agree, but defensively Hollands and Acres are much better players, and I can't see him taking Newman, Saad, Doch or Cowan's spot at half back while they're still there.

I just don't see him as a positional need as Austin alluded to, more so just a good all rounder like Mitch Duncan.
l believe when drafting you are not just looking into the next season, you are taking a much longer term view.

Good young players will always break into a role, three of those names are now 30+, although Cowan is a good player l would say his decision making & kicking has scope for improvement, alot of kicks go to the opposition.

Algers a horrendously inconsistent player. Id argue he's every bit as 'talented' as Berry or Hannaford but he has a bad habit of turning invisible for long stretches and getting himself in a bind trying to do too much sometimes.

He's highly athletic though, great leap on him too.

Very big ceiling if he sorted out his form fluctuations.

I guess by consistency l was thinking that he seemed to be a regular contributor kicking goals but that was only a vague recollection. I can’t actually remember what his in game involvement was like. At the start of the champs l took notice of him because of a few good things he did. But l didn’t see much of him after that.

Yeah besides the skill, for me he would definitely be more of a flank/wing type that would atm be behind a line of other players…

I have players who i like or prefer in front of him…

Travaglia i also think will spend quite a bit of time developing in the reserves much like Wilson did for us this year, some of the things I’ve noticed watching him in the Champs and highlights reels, he does an array things that are purely footyIQ based…

Speed/endurance & defensively good, spreads with run and rebounds, great in the air, clean hands, good in a contest, wins his own ball a good balance of inside/outside within his game, slight knock is with his kicking while not elite but is at a decent level, but needs to development on…

Like Cowan and Wilson i think they all have the potential and scope to play in a variety of positions backline wing and midfield when they are maturely ready in their development…

I really rate Travaglia, plays in the manner i like also…

Last edited:

From national combine

From state combine
Hannaford 2.954

I'd take Hannaford ahead of Berry

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back