Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but at least Longmire knows how to get us to a grand final. Honestly, it's up to the players by that stage.

I don't know if I can cop that. It's up to the coaches to get the players prepared as best as possible for the GF.

It’s difficult for Port fans to get Hinkley sacked in a year when he’s got them to second spot on ladder. It’s more between the ears of the players if they crumble on the big stage.

Anyway, all not quite as ridiculous as a ‘sack horse’ thread when we were on top of the ladder, albeit during a temporary form slump.

Like Geelong, we are blessed with finals appearances almost every year and win our fair share. As per Pridhams comments, Horse can stay as long as he likes.

It’s difficult for Port fans to get Hinkley sacked in a year when he’s got them to second spot on ladder. It’s more between the ears of the players if they crumble on the big stage.
It's not a new thing. There's a section of the fanbase who have been calling for his removal from about halfway through his reign.

People say you can't sack a coach that finished 2nd, well what about the several stints Port has spent out of the finals, burning through several talented lists. They prioritised stability over everything else.

If the club talks up its lists then fails repeatedly, at some point there has to be accountability. Unfortunately for Port fans, no-one knows what it would actually take for the club to be as ambitious as they profess and move on from Hinkley.

Nah not gonna blame Port fans on bigfooty, Hinkley was given a lot of time. Stuck by him through the years they didn't make the finals. Compared to the likes of Pyke or Cameron where 2 years of finals no shows and they were shown the door.

Although the Sack Hinkley threads are top 5 all time on this site, which makes for great content.

The coach plays a massive part in what happens gf day.. And his team selection during the week can make or break things.

On CET-AL00 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Of course a coach has a massive influence in the lead up to the grand final and the entire course of a season but when a game is in progress I think they have far less influence on the outcome than people understand or believe.

Of course a coach has a massive influence in the lead up to the grand final and the entire course of a season but when a game is in progress I think they have far less influence on the outcome than people understand or believe.

Positional changes, match ups, rotations, when to activate a sub, etc.

The coach plays a massive part in what happens gf day.. And his team selection during the week can make or break things.

On CET-AL00 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Only to a point.
The coach is just a part of the selection committee & the club has a huge amount of support staff and coaches with GF winning experience and lessons inc Horse. Think Tom Harley, Kirky, Macca, JPK, etc etc to name a few all involved with the group. Surely they all assist in the lead up by sharing with the team what to expect , how to prepare , etc ?
Not sure if Horse can be blamed more than just a portion for 2014 & 2022 and some other bad out-of-character slips like vs Port this year.

It’s GF losing experience which you learn mostly from imo and most of our current team will still have 2022 burning in their belly and ready to right that wrong.

Majority of fault lies (in above examples) with the players on game day between the ears & self preparation …and even selection in some rare cases - think 2022 Reid who told committee he was 100% good to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like the Hawks to win but then I think the ****en Hawk hype will be ****en unbearable, but the Dogs winning would be awful and they will be "the best side in it"
blah blah blah.

Can they both lose?

Only to a point.
The coach is just a part of the selection committee & the club has a huge amount of support staff and coaches with GF winning experience and lessons inc Horse. Think Tom Harley, Kirky, Macca, JPK, etc etc to name a few all involved with the group. Surely they all assist in the lead up by sharing with the team what to expect , how to prepare , etc ?
Not sure if Horse can be blamed more than just a portion for 2014 & 2022 and some other bad out-of-character slips like vs Port this year.

It’s GF losing experience which you learn mostly from imo and most of our current team will still have 2022 burning in their belly and ready to right that wrong.

Majority of fault lies (in above examples) with the players on game day between the ears & self preparation …and even selection in some rare cases - think 2022 Reid who told committee he was 100% good to go.

We are about to find out what they learnt from 2022.

Didn't learn much from 14.

Horse needs to deliver , making finals is nice for sure and he has done well, but if we want to be the biggest club in the country we need to get it done imo.

We are about to find out what they learnt from 2022.

Didn't learn much from 14.

Horse needs to deliver , making finals is nice for sure and he has done well, but if we want to be the biggest club in the country we need to get it done imo.
I actually have full faith in Horse to get us to a grand final. I just have no idea what he does - or doesn't do - that contributes to us being so shite once in the grand final.

Most hyped game of the week would be hilarious if it ends up an absolute fizzer of a hard slogfest lol.

Want the dogs out so nice to be barracking hard for a specific team tonight.

Gws - Haw - Gws would be the dream run.

I actually have full faith in Horse to get us to a grand final. I just have no idea what he does - or doesn't do - that contributes to us being so shite once in the grand final.

I really like the way he is talking this year and making hard calls, think he is going to deliver .

I feel like it's so hard getting there let alone winning it that tbh I'm just happy to make it, whatever happens from there happens. Make enough grannies and you'll surely win a few. For me, even in the 2022 blowout, we gave ourselves the best chance by actually making it in the first place. Just make it, and on the day it comes down to the players imo. I struggle to see how the ability on the day comes down to the bloke watching from the box, especially in a thrashing.

I feel like it's so hard getting there let alone winning it that tbh I'm just happy to make it, whatever happens from there happens. Make enough grannies and you'll surely win a few. For me, even in the 2022 blowout, we gave ourselves the best chance by actually making it in the first place. Just make it, and on the day it comes down to the players imo. I struggle to see how the ability on the day comes down to the bloke watching from the box, especially in a thrashing.
Well clearly we have not got preparation right. Three grand finals in a row we've come out shadows of our best selves from the opening bounce. So I think the coaches have a lot to do with that. So do the players though of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back