Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone cracked the shits at McCartney last week and wanted him fined/banned for absolutely nothing. Think the anti-Hawks sentiment is playing a role here.
To be fair 'Band on the Run' is a long way to fall from 'The long and winding road', 'Yesterday' and 'In my life'.
You can understand the enmity I guess.

Apparently it was all in good fun for Ginnivan to show a bit of "character" but not so much when Ken gives him a little back.
I won't shed any tears for Ginni, but I think rubbing it in like that on the field after ending an opponent's season is poor form. If Rozee had got in Ginnivan's face at full time he'd be rightly pilloried for it.

Players shake hands after a tough fought battle, respecting their opponent regardless of what happened before or during the game.

For a senior coach to have a crack at a young kid in the immediate aftermath of a crushing elimination loss is absolute garbage.

Ginnivan is an attention seeker and will lap it up. He’s probably seen a lot more drama at country footy as a kid.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

if Ginnivan wants to talk shit then he can expect others to respond in kind.

Having said that, so brave of Hinkley to show all this bravado AFTER the result falls in his favour. That’s embarrassing.

Having said that, so brave of Hinkley to show all this bravado AFTER the result falls in his favour. That’s embarrassing.
I think Ginni would cop any call backs on his media posts, he seems like the sort of bloke that can take it.

Hinkley is old enough to know better. But he also is known for doing this at the end of games when things have been said midweek.

Didn't he speak about it pre game too?

I won't shed any tears for Ginni, but I think rubbing it in like that on the field after ending an opponent's season is poor form. If Rozee had got in Ginnivan's face at full time he'd be rightly pilloried for it.
Especially from a senior coach.
Kenny is too much of a rah rah rah type of coach that uses anything that may be us against them mentality.

Poor form tonight. Well done by Sicily to confront him & well done by Mitchell to back his captain. I’d hate that if Horse did it.

a3d32f11cd4f6684c5fecfe5d0101d61.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't he speak about it pre game too?
If players or even a coach want to sledge before or during the game, I see it as a bit of theatre and fair game. Adds to the buildup, mind games etc.

But after the game has been played you shake hands and move on. Carrying on post-match is just poor sportsmanship.

It's a Prelim - they'll find enough. But if we play to our best we have them covered. If.
And we’re well past the stage of hoping to get to the grand final just for the sake of getting to the grand final. I only want to make that trek again if we’re a genuine chance to win the darned thing, which means being good enough to beat whoever stands in our way.

If Port are better than us next Friday, so be it.

Last edited:
If players or even a coach want to sledge before or during the game, I see it as a bit of theatre and fair game. Adds to the buildup, mind games etc.

But after the game has been played you shake hands and move on. Carrying on post-match is just poor sportsmanship.
He isn't the first and won't be the last to go on with it after the game.

Hinkley shouldn't have engaged with Ginnivan and did make a point of apologising on air (with BT roaming) and then in his press conference.

BUT worthwhile remembering that lose tonight and Hinkley would almost certainly have been out of a job.
Under huge pressure during the week and let emotions get the better of him.

Interesting too that Hinkley said Ginnivan's comments had been used "quite a bit" by Port in the lead up to the game.

All week Mitchell has defended Ginnivan's social media activity, yet after the match suddenly Ginnivan was "a very young player" who was essentially being picked on by "a much older man".

Mitchell happy to let Ginnivan take potshots, then when it blows up in your face don't be surprised if you cop some blowback.

I'm not sure that Mitchell has much moral high ground to stand on, particularly given his own past actions.

I must say this whole footy thing confuses me.

All the experts said the 6th placed team in WBDogs were the #1 seed.
Then they lose and the 7th placed team in Hawthorn became the almost unanimous #1 seed and now they've lost.

Does this actually mean that the ladder positions achieved over the season actually have some merit? :confusedv1:

Hinkley is a strange man his antics when they beat Geelong away this year were out there. Ginnivan is a professional troll and well old enough to cop it if he doesn't like it. Hinkley probably shouldn't of said anything after the game or kept it for a snide comment or two for the press conference.
But Mitchell is a massive sook complaining about it. He's just sour his little fairy tail of the Hawks winning a flag from nowhere is gone.

Hinkley made a fool of himself. No fan of Sicily but he did the right thing as captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back