Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night was the first time I watched Hawthorn play since their wining streak started. Gotta say I hated what I saw.

Diving, ducking, grabbing heads and faces and like soccer players on the ground, over the top antics, playing tough guy after the whistle but unable to win the hard ball in play, complaining about umpiring errors when umpiring was well well in their favour, narcissistic coach whinging after the game like a spoiled brat unable to give any credit to the clearly superior (umpire hamstrung) opposition, past players complaining like entitled w***ers.

Is there a more unlikable team in the comp right now? They may have taken over the bulldogs for me in just one game. I have no idea how the media bandwagon got behind Hawthorn.

Last night was the first time I watched Hawthorn play since their wining streak started. Gotta say I hated what I saw.

Diving, ducking, grabbing heads and faces and like soccer players on the ground, over the top antics, playing tough guy after the whistle but unable to win the hard ball in play, complaining about umpiring errors when umpiring was well well in their favour, narcissistic coach whinging after the game like a spoiled brat unable to give any credit to the clearly superior (umpire hamstrung) opposition, past players complaining like entitled w***ers.

Is there a more unlikable team in the comp right now? They may have taken over the bulldogs for me in just one game. I have no idea how the media bandwagon got behind Hawthorn.

I agree and the floggish look at me celebrations are disgusting. Bunch of TikTokers disguised as footballers.

Thankfully we won’t see team selfies or Snapchat filters littered all over social media after the grand final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been a fan of what Sam Mitchell's been doing these past few years (if not of Mitchell himself), prioritising youth and letting them "run free." The additions of the likes of Ginnivan & Watson who are a couple of smart-arses seemed logical acquisitions for their team's profile and dynamic. They started winning this year on relentless pressure and doggedness. I think I commented early in the season that I don't think any team does pressure better than the Hawks when at their best. It was literally the image that came to mind when I thought of Hawthorn - a bunch of young, under-the-radar players having an absolute red hot crack and rarely giving in.

Of late, the image that comes to mind when I think of Hawthorn is... I don't even know. Over-the-top goal celebrations?? Getting into fights?? Ducking for frees?? Ginnivan getting into trouble??

ie. Not their football, really.

I think the pendulum simply swung too far towards the individuals and their egos, and away from the team-first ethos that got them to where they ended up. And I love to see it, by the way.

So peeps who do we want to face in the GF ?

Even though umps and neutrals will probably favour them, I would love an all NSW grand final.

Imagine the outcry from fathead Eddie.

Geelong for redemption purposes. Not Lions, they worry me.

JHWF - always getting ahead of himself. Always.
A GWS GF would be great from a ticketing perspective for Swans fans.

Not so from an umpiring perspective as the AFL would be prioritising their huge loss making irrelevence of a club in Homebush and I expect it would be near to 2016 level of match fixing from the umps.

Brisbane & Geelong might be neutral on the umpiring side of things....But I think Geelong would be the team we are more likely to win against as if we can neutralise Danger the game is 3/4 won?
Brisbane are a stacked team and would be very hard to beat, probably the team that will win the most clearances left in it and that's a worry in a GF. Hope GWS win today at least.

I continue to think if we get the Chad from the last quarter of last game we will win the GF. If he is told by coaches to wait on the fringes for people to handball it to him...we will lose in the big one.

Well said. It hasn’t taken long for the Hawthorn ‘entitlement machine’ to click into gear.

I would honestly stop watching if the swans adopted a game plan based around, calling it what it is, cheating. I'd rather support a team that loses but plays the right way than a team that cheats to win.

Can we chuck all the posters who seem to think we have 0 chance next week in a different thread this week?

Geez louise

cya later
Brilliant idea, would make for much more pleasant reading.
Would leave a bit of work for SP and GTG though, as that rules out a couple of our moderators.

The worst part of Hawthorns pathetic performance last night was seeing their players clutching their heads after tackles as though they'd been badly injured. They got 2 goals out of it and then Impey tried it again in the last quarter.

Clearly a ploy they were instructed to follow.
Yep, pathetic. Impey’s in the last being the worst.. lucky the umps didn’t get sucked in that time

The worst part of Hawthorns pathetic performance last night was seeing their players clutching their heads after tackles as though they'd been badly injured. They got 2 goals out of it and then Impey tried it again in the last quarter.

Ginnivan taught them well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking they got feedback at halftime like they always do - and when it was pointed out they were being played by the Hawks they no longer got the benefit of the doubt.

Same thing happened in our final against the Giants - not so much the head throwing - but the way they were umpiring GWS vs Swans. in particular holding the ball. You could clearly see a change after half time.

If GWS play anywhere near as well as they did last week they will destroy the Lions. Only question is whether they spent all their petrol tickets against us.

there's also still question marks over brisbane ... they can be pretty flakey ... they've got a few blokes going well at the moment who can also put in a dud ...
but whoever wins, beat geelong!

Last edited:
Noticed amongst the MRO findings from last night;

Port ruckman Jordon Sweet has been slapped with a mammoth $7,500 fine ($5,000 with an early plea) for kneeing Hawthorn's Lloyd Meek - the third time Sweet has been sighted for the same offence - while Power forward Willie Rioli can accept a $1,250 fine with an early plea for staging in the third quarter.

Firstly good for picking Rioli up for his staging.
However the first part annoys me.

When Adrian Anderson introduced the original classification system you were suspended for repeat offences, such as kneeing.
Clearly Sweet is deliberately trying to incapacitate the opposing ruckman.
A 'mammoth' $5000 fine, rather than a suspension, seems to me inadequate for an action attempting to injure an opposing player.

So peeps who do we want to face in the GF ?

Even though umps and neutrals will probably favour them, I would love an all NSW grand final.

Imagine the outcry from fathead Eddie.

Geelong for redemption purposes. Not Lions, they worry me.

JHWF - always getting ahead of himself. Always.
If we get through, I'd actually like to play Brisbane. My second team and I just think it would be a ripping contest. I also think their best is the second best in the competition behind us, so it would be fitting. There's also the context of it bring the 2 most recent losing Grand Finalists.

Otherwise GWS. Either way an all northern states GF would be wonderful.

As far as quality of the opposition goes, I don't really have a preference. They all have their pros and cons, but I think we beat any of them at our best.

I think the two weakest teams that were remaining played last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back