Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS have a generation of key players who are now around 30 like Hogan, Greene, Coniglio, Whitfield and Kelly. So they might have 2-3 more seasons of opportunity.

Though they do have a spine of players in their early 20s like Taylor, Buckley, Briggs, Callaghan, Green, Daniels, Jones and Cadman.
They have done a great job rolling their literal mountain of gifted first round draft picks into new ones & good players when guys wanted out to a proper AFL club. Far better than GC obviously.

It's just never going to work for them in Western Sydney. Nobody cares and never will.
The sooner they admit that and move to Canberra, the better. In Canberra they will have a base of support that can promote the game to new Australians, a steady stream of public servants moving from AFL states that will go to games.
Never going to happen in West Sydney where there are very few Australians born here, let alone enough that actually follow AFL and pass on the interest to people from cultures with absolute zero interest in any mode of football.

I don't know if they just hit the wall physically or started thinking it was all over after getting 44 pts up. Probably a bit of both and Brisbane missed some easy ones early so the lead was probably a bit inflated.
Think GWS will have to review their conditioning and fitness they fell over in the last quarter twice in consecutive games. At their best they are as good as anyone in the comp got a great spread of players across the paddock.
Think our nemesis Toby is starting to fall off the perch , he has looked average for most of this season. Not sure it's injury related but he has lost his aerial skills and his pace isn't what it used to be.(this could come back to bite me!)
Would have liked an all Sydney grand final tbh , just to see most of the Victorian AFL community melt over it. Hopefully Lions can get over Geelong and make sure it's a non Victorian GF anyway.

I don't know if they just hit the wall physically or started thinking it was all over after getting 44 pts up. Probably a bit of both and Brisbane missed some easy ones early so the lead was probably a bit inflated.
Think GWS will have to review their conditioning and fitness they fell over in the last quarter twice in consecutive games. At their best they are as good as anyone in the comp got a great spread of players across the paddock.
Think our nemesis Toby is starting to fall off the perch , he has looked average for most of this season. Not sure it's injury related but he has lost his aerial skills and his pace isn't what it used to be.(this could come back to bite me!)
Would have liked an all Sydney grand final tbh , just to see most of the Victorian AFL community melt over it. Hopefully Lions can get over Geelong and make sure it's a non Victorian GF anyway.

as long as it's a non-geelong grand final

IMO they would be better off playing in Blacktown International Sports Park in the months when Showgrounds is unavailable.

They average 10k crowds at Manuka.

if they got the same at BISP it would be a sellout in the heart of western Sydney and that would be far more beneficial long term than whatever monetary incentives the Canberra deal offers.
They didn't even manage to bring 10k of their own fans to their own stadium in an elimination final.

Gday Swans supporters, hope it’s ok to post here. I’ll be floating around Lithgow this weekend, and wondering what is the best way to get to the scg Friday night and more importantly back (looks like last train is around 1030pm)? Not sure there’d be enough time after the game to get this?

I could also drive in to a point somewhere as well? And get a different train?

Thoughts? thanks
Timetable says there's a train leaving at 24 past midnight from Central getting to Lithgow at 314 AM. :eekv1:

If you can't afford a hotel, better to sleep in your car than do that train I reckon. Park in or next to Centenial Park overnight? 10 beers ought to drown your sorrows enough to make an uncomfortable night's sleep after a loss bearable.

This. They were running in waves till the fourth and then they just stopped, I think the hard game against us last week took its toll in the end.

I feel really out of touch on the Ginnivan stuff. Sure he carries on like a bit of a pork chop, but "see you in 14 days" is incredibly mild and the manufactured outrage over it was very strange. Sure it was public but he didn't mention Port at all. It was nothing more than a little cheeky expression of confidence.

By contrast, I think getting in an opponent's face following the final siren is pretty despicable in any circumstances, let alone following a devastating finals loss and coming from a 50 year old coach towards a young player.

It was an utterly awful look by Hinkley and I don't blame Sicily and Mitchell in the slightest for how they reacted.

I also think the general hate for Ginnivan and the Hawks and suggestions "they got what they deserved" are a bit ordinary. A clap back on social media after the game, sure, but laughing in his face on field was bullshit. But I know I'm in the minority.

Last edited:
I feel really out of touch on the Ginnivan stuff. Sure he carries on like a bit of a pork chop, but "see you in 14 days" is incredibly mild and the manufactured outrage over it was very strange. Sure it was public but he didn't mention Port at all. It was nothing more than a little cheeky expression of confidence.

By contrast, I think getting in an opponent's face following the final siren is pretty despicable in any circumstances, let alone following a devastating finals loss and coming from a 50 year old coach towards a young player.

It was an utterly awful look by Hinkley and I don't blame Sicily and Mitchell in the slightest for how they reacted.

I also think the general hate for Ginnivan and the Hawks and suggestions "they got what they deserved" are a bit ordinary but I know I'm in the minority.
As a rather lippy older person, I see Kenny's side completely as that's pretty much how I'd react in the same circumstance. Ginnivan's post was pretty harmless in the scheme of things, but he really had to expect a reaction.
I was fine with Sicily's response, as the captain and a senior player, it was the right response but Mitchell is, has and always will be a twat with many, many sniper runs on the board, so for him to take the moral high ground is a bit ludicrous.

As a rather lippy older person, I see Kenny's side completely as that's pretty much how I'd react in the same circumstance. Ginnivan's post was pretty harmless in the scheme of things, but he really had to expect a reaction.
I was fine with Sicily's response, as the captain and a senior player, it was the right response but Mitchell is, has and always will be a twat with many, many sniper runs on the board, so for him to take the moral high ground is a bit ludicrous.
So if Port knock us off on Friday and 30 seconds after the siren as our players are contemplating the end of their season we would all be ok if Hinkley got into Paps' face and mocked his celebration?

I call bullshit.

They didn't even manage to bring 10k of their own fans to their own stadium in an elimination final.

I think a lot of the problem with GWS not having supporters is due to their name, which doesn’t inspire any geographical loyalty. “Greater Western Sydney” isn’t actually a thing. Literally no one identifies as being from Greater WS. In their attempt to capture the largest possible geographical area with the name, the AFL ended up capturing no one. GWS is a statistical term only. People either identify with “Western Sydney” or their suburb. The “Greater” part feels like it was forced by some clueless AFL number cruncher in Melbourne who has never actually been to Western Sydney.

It is a tough area to crack, but the name doesn’t help. They should either change it to Western Sydney or admit defeat and relocate the team to Canberra.

Yes & all the Hawks ex players in media who took the same. They had the most disgusting coach who even threatened a little league umpire. Who once threatened a player. So none of them should even make any statement in that regard, when they refused to comment on any of his antics.

So if Port knock us off on Friday and 30 seconds after the siren as our players are contemplating the end of their season we would all be ok if Hinkley got into Paps' face and mocked his celebration?

I call bullshit.
Well for a start, Hinkley wasn't in Ginnivan's face, he had a smart retort to the smartarse tweet, said from a reasonable distance, unlike the Jason McCartney incident and if Papley had posted something like Ginnivan did then yes - don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk.
I'm not big on social media but like most things in life, every action has a reaction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, Mitchell trying to make Kenny look like a bully, playing the ‘age gap’ card.

Minivan was probably already doing lines at the Cricketers while Sam was ‘defending’ his ‘innocence’.

I think a lot of the problem with GWS not having supporters is due to their name, which doesn’t inspire any geographical loyalty. “Greater Western Sydney” isn’t actually a thing. Literally no one identifies as being from Greater WS. In their attempt to capture the largest possible geographical area with the name, the AFL ended up capturing no one. GWS is a statistical term only. People either identify with “Western Sydney” or their suburb. The “Greater” part feels like it was forced by some clueless AFL number cruncher in Melbourne who has never actually been to Western Sydney.

It is a tough area to crack, but the name doesn’t help. They should either change it to Western Sydney or admit defeat and relocate the team to Canberra.
They also made another mistake. Instead of basing themselves at Blacktown, where they had an agreement with the council, they reneged on that agreement to base themselves at Homebush.

Well stated. 👍

Hinkley’s conduct was immature and ridiculous. He really should know better.
Definitely immature I'll give you that, but I know I'd probably say something similar if I were in that situation so I see Kenny's side.
The part that annoys me the most is that grub Mitchell claiming the moral high ground. Maybe next season Ginnivan will think twice about trying to be so clever with his tweets.

Definitely immature I'll give you that, but I know I'd probably say something similar if I were in that situation so I see Kenny's side.
The part that annoys me the most is that grub Mitchell claiming the moral high ground. Maybe next season Ginnivan will think twice about trying to be so clever with his tweets.
He should have left it till the presser - and then really given the whole Minivan and ‘Dorkball’ thing a workover.

I know Geelong flogged Port but they feel like the imposters in the prelim round.
Agree with this. Port made them look far better than they are. They have a strong forward line and they’re well coached which means they’re still a difficult opponent for anyone, but overall I’m bullish that we have them covered.

They’re not the same side as they were in 2022 and neither are we.

This. They were running in waves till the fourth and then they just stopped, I think the hard game against us last week took its toll in the end.
I actually think it’s more psychological.

So many teams seem to become conservative when they build a lead - the team in front can’t always be the only one to get physically tired.

They seem to stop doing what got them the lead and start focussing on “taking time off the clock”. Which never works.

We used to do it all the time.

I actually think it’s more psychological.

So many teams seem to become conservative when they build a lead - the team in front can’t always be the only one to get physically tired.

They seem to stop doing what got them the lead and start focussing on “taking time off the clock”. Which never works.

We used to do it all the time.
Yes to a degree, we all saw GWS shut up shop and start winding the clock down, still with 10 minutes to go and I thought then they were in trouble, but prior to that, they looked like they had lead in their boots.
I do believe GWS were more physically tired than Brisbane as a result of the hard game they had against us, versus the training run Brisbane had.

Maybe we are able to have these big fourth quarter come backs because we haven't spent all our petrol tickets earlier, like GWS had in both finals.

Last edited:
How they could not know that fatigue was coming, and just plan and execute a game whereby they just chipped it around and ran time off the clock once up by 40 is diabolical coaching. Sure you can say they needed to remain positive, but just chipping it around the defense would have forced the opposition to come looking for it...and leave themselves open to long balls where GWS had the best marking forward in the game...and a few high pressure smalls to lock it in.

Their dumbass coach in the presser saying just "we just need to be better" is a Luke Beveridge level of self analysis. :laughing:

They could be called the West Sydney Halal Schezuen Tendulkar's and still not have any support.
Majority of the people living in West Sydney are from cultures that don't follow any code of football and never will.
Not having any locals to convert them into fans....it ain't ever going to work.

ITMT you can pack out Homebush with Korean Boy bands or Bollywood star musicals.

Just how it is.

I've gotta say I did too, but there are a lot more blatantly obvious ones that are let go and I thought it was tough calling it where it was and the time of the game.
I know by rights that shouldn't make any difference and it took a great kick, but I thought the umpire paying it had no feel for the game.
I am more in the camp if it is there pay it. Players make decisions and the re are consequences….it is more unsfairvto the team not offending if not paid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back