Academy 2024 Northern Academies (Boys)

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe the next absolute top Interstate F/S vs Northern Academy eligibility clash after Nick Blakey looms as a North F/S and the Sydney Academy again with Aidan McCartney.

Of all the situations....

Only saving grace this time is Jason doesn't work for the Swans like John was at the time.
The real saving grace is that North will actually have a promising squad by the time McCartney goes to the draft. Regarding Blakey, who wants to go to a place where they'll probably struggle for several years over a premiership contender?

The real saving grace is that North will actually have a promising squad by the time McCartney goes to the draft. Regarding Blakey, who wants to go to a place where they'll probably struggle for several years over a premiership contender?

North finished 9th and Sydney 6th in the year Blakey had to make his choice.

Sydney lost by 8 goals in the first elimination final to GWS.

Wasn't exactly like making a decision of 1st vs 18th.

Sydney actually finished 3 spots below North in Blakeys rookie season (when they selected Dylan Stephens at #5)

North finished 9th and Sydney 6th in the year Blakey had to make his choice.

Sydney lost by 8 goals in the first elimination final to GWS.

Wasn't exactly like making a decision of 1st vs 18th.

Sydney actually finished 3 spots below North in Blakeys rookie season (when they selected Dylan Stephens at #5)
Fair points. Though I reckon North were clearly on the way down.

Fair points. Though I reckon North were clearly on the way down.

I think the main difference here is Nick was always a Swans supporter with John being involved as a long standing senior coach at the club, even at that time.

Aidan and his older brother Lucas are North fans and have no affiliation with the Swans through family other than via the Academy zoning catchment laws living in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney.

Im sure there's going to be a tug of war that will erupt and will at the end of the day probably come down to whether Aidan wants to live in Sydney or Melbourne. It's a hard sell when he's grown up in Sydney his entire life, but as I said, they are North fans, so it's a big advantage over the Nick situation from the start.

I'd actually say this might have been a trickier situation if Aidan was in the GWS Academy tbh.

Last edited:
ahh, no I thought the northern academies had another game.

Would be good if all the D2 teams got to play each other, though don't think Suns or Lions can beat anyone other than each other this year anyway

ahh, no I thought the northern academies had another game.

Would be good if all the D2 teams got to play each other, though don't think Suns or Lions can beat anyone other than each other this year anyway
didnt they both win yesterday?? lions look like they couldve been alright just weren’t accurate at all

Scouting Notes from the U16 Academy Games:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must say Taj Stanley (P/NT/Allies) is starting to catch the eye in the WAFL colts competition. A very handy and sometimes mercurial forward who is really coming to terms with WAFL grounds and the opposition.

Academy 2024 Northern Academies (Boys)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back