Draft Expert PMBangers 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on this, no need for Carlton to winge about bringing forward the bidding system changes.
PMBangers, what is your take on the potential cchangs to bidding system being introduced in 2024?
Anything to make clubs pay a fairer price is a positive

I'll just address these as one given they're pretty similar in nature.
No I'm not worried about Jagga's size at the next level anymore, I think this year he's demonstrated more than ever that he's not just effective as a stoppage player/ inside midfielder due to evasiveness or smarts, but also due to his courage going for contested footy and confidence to take on bigger/ stronger opponents physically, and his stoppage craft in general is just ridiculously high level. As for whether that translates to AFL footy, I can never be 100% sure but have confidence that it can, with plenty of smaller mids maintaining their contested impact from U18's level, even if it did take a few seasons to come along; Butters, Daicos, Neale, Merrett, Gulden, etc. have all adapted, and I'm not going to make an outrageous claim like 'Smith is just as good as all those guys' or that he plays the same, but there's no reason to think he can't translate to a degree.

In terms of his disposal, I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some have made out, yes it'd be amazing if he was more expansive with his ball use more often, but retaining possession as a team from stoppage is an important part of the game. Evenso, we've seen that when he's focused on it/ been challenged to be more damaging he's stepped up like in the Metro v Country game, and I imagine he'll continue to be encouraged in this area at AFL Level. This isn't even taking into account that with his profile he'll likely be given the Daicos introduction to AFL with a flanker role early on, which will allow him to work on his damage week-to-week.

Additionally to that, some of the other things I like specifically; leadership, decent defensive drive, unselfish, positioning.

Absolutely it has and further highlights the issue with a lot of draft commentary; recruiters don't view the draft in the vacuum of the prospects draft year, there's years of matches, coaches reports, etc. that recruiters note down and keep mind of, reviewing regularly in the lead up to the draft. He's still the same elite endurance, strong marking and clean using midfielder that got spoken up last year, just in a form slump on return from injury that every player goes through to some degree

Tom Gross and Taj Hotton are the ones I'm getting Caruso vibes from in the teens as midfielders specifically, but Joe Berry is the guy that fits our recent drafting profile most

Seems there's a lot of love for Joe Berry amongst Freo supporters and for good reason, particularly with Kako now out of the open pool he'd be the best small forward addition you could make this year. I think another general defender would be looked at as well, with Travaglia and Oliver two in contention for that, as well as Allan and Lindsay if people don't see their futures in the midfield. Outside of that, and it's a boring answer, but best available early is generally the way to go, so any of the commonly spoken about top 10 would be considered
Greene, Daniels, Bedford, Thomas, McMullin, Jones, Gothard and Berry, can Caruso leave some small forwards for the rest of us?

Not sure if there's a whiff but something's awfully funky with Shanahan's name.
Is that Jobe from Pio’s?

Watched a bit of the Calder game and he looked a fairly promising albeit in the Oscar Clavarino mould of taking a good mark but then uppity dinky kicks

Greene, Daniels, Bedford, Thomas, McMullin, Jones, Gothard and Berry, can Caruso leave some small forwards for the rest of us?
To be fair McMullin is a winger for us and Bedford is pretty much a midfielder, so we're in need of a quick restock (plus Berry's midfield potential shouldn't be discounted)

Quick, we're down to just four guys at Hogan's feet, Adrian, LIVE TRADE NOW.
Small Forwards are the new rucks! So much trade potential in stockpiling them

It's slim margins in that range to be fair, but ultimately I think Oliver's kicking is a few steps above Travaglia's without being significantly behind in any other area
head-in-hands-robert-downey-jr-eye-roll-thinking-oh-my-god-52c6xre29b64zquh.gif

PMBangers what a treat to see this thread pop up having assumed it wasn’t on for 2024!

Without the earlier lists I’m interested if this crop includes any players you rated really highly at start of this year who are now shaping as only 3rd or 4th rounders? I’m thinking of Harry Lemmey, Tom Scully, Ashton Moir types from previous years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How high do you see Langford going? I watched some of the stingrays game on the weekend and he was taking the piss. Should have kicked 4 and had 32 touches playing mostly as a forward. Couple more games like that and he would be right in the saints mix

Mate, I'm so in love with Sheezel you could offer me GWS's list and I wouldn't give you his fart.
I spose he is pretty good, I guess, but still, don't you think he'd be happier in Sydney out of the spotlight.
If you love someone, set them free :) :)

Right across the industry Im surprised at the lack of love for Zak Johnson. Admittedly he had a quieter championships playing across HB, but his Coates League games and stats have been as good as most of the top 20. He is reasonably quick, good over head and uses the ball well I cant see why he hasnt featured in any top 30?

PMBangers what a treat to see this thread pop up having assumed it wasn’t on for 2024!

Without the earlier lists I’m interested if this crop includes any players you rated really highly at start of this year who are now shaping as only 3rd or 4th rounders? I’m thinking of Harry Lemmey, Tom Scully, Ashton Moir types from previous years.
I've actually enjoyed this way more because I wasn't too fussed about getting a rankings out in March so could take more time to properly analyse rather than just go 'who cares where the improvements are look at how good he does this', so I haven't found anyone's really done that, at least for me, this season.

In saying that, Herbert, Walsh and Moraes are a couple I expected to develop more than they have, so they've dropped down in my rankings through the season.

How high do you see Langford going? I watched some of the stingrays game on the weekend and he was taking the piss. Should have kicked 4 and had 32 touches playing mostly as a forward. Couple more games like that and he would be right in the saints mix
It'll depend how clubs view his transition to AFL Level really and what role he may end up playing, which is where much if the variation in his rankings come from imo. Personally I don't view him as quick enough for a regular centre square midfielder, but think he's got the engine and smarts to settle on a wing long term, whereas others see him as a forward or believe he'll translate as a midfielder.

Long winded answer I know, I guess in short anywhere in the first round is just as likely as anywhere else in the first round

Right across the industry Im surprised at the lack of love for Zak Johnson. Admittedly he had a quieter championships playing across HB, but his Coates League games and stats have been as good as most of the top 20. He is reasonably quick, good over head and uses the ball well I cant see why he hasnt featured in any top 30?
More to do with the depth of the class than Kohnson himself, I'd say he's pretty close for most people

We could have had him, would look good In all 3 lines.
Think they were worried about him being interstate given he had a very tight network at home.
We could have kept pick 3 and 12 and taken whoever came through to us out Cadman, Wardlaw and Sheezel..
I wanted Cadman at the time and hopefully at the end of his career we'll be happy with the choice.

Been talking him up a lot this year really like him perfect late draft pick
The depth is just so strong this year will go in the 40 + mark
Great user is composed under pressure lots to like
Remember Luke Parker was a late pick similar vibes

Last edited:
I've actually enjoyed this way more because I wasn't too fussed about getting a rankings out in March so could take more time to properly analyse rather than just go 'who cares where the improvements are look at how good he does this', so I haven't found anyone's really done that, at least for me, this season.

In saying that, Herbert, Walsh and Moraes are a couple I expected to develop more than they have, so they've dropped down in my rankings through the season.

It'll depend how clubs view his transition to AFL Level really and what role he may end up playing, which is where much if the variation in his rankings come from imo. Personally I don't view him as quick enough for a regular centre square midfielder, but think he's got the engine and smarts to settle on a wing long term, whereas others see him as a forward or believe he'll translate as a midfielder.

Long winded answer I know, I guess in short anywhere in the first round is just as likely as anywhere else in the first round

More to do with the depth of the class than Kohnson himself, I'd say he's pretty close for most people
Why is Lombard not ranked higher?
Is it due to concerns he has stopped growing and won't improve as much as others will?

Why is Lombard not ranked higher?
Is it due to concerns he has stopped growing and won't improve as much as others will?
This is going to end up a massive cliche this year, but it is due to the evenness of that top end and, for quite a few, comes down to preference. I do really like him and have had him shifting between 3 and 8 in my rankings for the last month or so

Looks like a real classy mover and has a late birthday as well. Can see him rising or being a steal whoever picks him up later.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert PMBangers 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back