Draft Expert PMBangers 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Draper hasn't had as much exposed form in other roles (taking into account I'm yet to watch his senior SANFL stuff) but I'd say traits wise is the least likely to impact out of the centre square, if you're taking him, it's as a stoppage player from day dot
I reckon Draper could start his AFL career in a high half forward role. He's shown in the SANFL a real hunger to chase and tackle.

Has only played 2 years of champs, one of which as a 16 year old winning MVP, the other coming off no preseason and a fractured leg, and 3 games of SANFL having turned 17 literally weeks earlier? Yeah man good analysis. How about watch the games from the current year where he actually plays against men with a modicum of fitness. Seriously, you’re a joke if you don’t see how ridiculous that statement is
Yeah g'day Sid how ya going pal

Geez and I thought I was salty that Draper wasn't rated higher...

disappear GIF

Has only played 2 years of champs, one of which as a 16 year old winning MVP, the other coming off no preseason and a fractured leg, and 3 games of SANFL having turned 17 literally weeks earlier? Yeah man good analysis. How about watch the games from the current year where he actually plays against men with a modicum of fitness. Seriously, you’re a joke if you don’t see how ridiculous that statement is
You realise that recruiters aren't actually on bigfooty taking notes on which players to draft? Nothing that gets written here will influence where or whether a player is drafted. So there's no need to get stuck into someone for just having an opinion. He did not insult or disparage Draper in any way.

Clearly, as seen by you coming on this thread, you see value in draft forums & have sought out others' opinions. So why then be hostile towards someone who is just giving that opinion, & is driving one of these threads you place value in?

Nothing that gets written here will influence where or whether a player is drafted
Wait, you're telling me recruiters don't just use my draft board?

You realise that recruiters aren't actually on bigfooty taking notes
Not taking notes, but some definitely read here for the lols.
on which players to draft? Nothing that gets written here will influence where or whether a player is drafted. So there's no need to get stuck into someone for just having an opinion. He did not insult or disparage Draper in any way.

Clearly, as seen by you coming on this thread, you see value in draft forums & have sought out others' opinions. So why then be hostile towards someone who is just giving that opinion, & is driving one of these threads you place value in?

It's slim margins in that range to be fair, but ultimately I think Oliver's kicking is a few steps above Travaglia's without being significantly behind in any other area
Spot on Bangers, Oliver, Lindsay and Berry's kicking is so elite you don't even have to break stride. When we watch our team on the big stage, there is nothing worse than seeing a player turning the ball over through bad kicking, good skills are like a diamond, dazzling, elite skills are like admiring your girlfriend or boyfriend, its a thing of beauty! ;)

Spot on Bangers, Oliver, Lindsay and Berry's kicking is so elite you don't even have to break stride. When we watch our team on the big stage, there is nothing worse than seeing a player turning the ball over through bad kicking, good skills are like a diamond, dazzling, elite skills are like admiring your girlfriend or boyfriend, its a thing of beauty! ;)
Berry is obscenely good off both feet as well which I love

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe I forgot to promote my notes from last week!

GIPPSLAND POWER:

Xavier Lindsay
Midfielder | 183cm | 03/08/2006

Stats:
31 disposals, 10 marks, 5 inside 50s

Fresh off arguably a best afield performance in the Under 18 National Championships decider, Lindsay continued with his purple patch of form, pulling the strings for Gippsland through the midfield with short stints up forward. As his side’s major clearance winner, his early disposal work wasn’t to his usual quality as he was winning much of the footy in congestion, or from on his knees in the middle of a pack as he dived onto everything in arm’s reach, but after the first quarter Lindsay was back to his classy self by hand and foot, demonstrating some elite vision with pinpoint passes from contest. Lindsay worked hard around the ground in both offence and defence, putting in hard efforts to get a fist to the ball in a contest as enthusiastically as he got involved in handball chains for his side.

#7 Willem Duursma
Wing | 191cm | 21/06/2007

Stats:
20 disposals, 6 marks, 1 goal

The bottom-aged star was a mainstay on the wing all game, covering ground easily and providing an option in space constantly, but also demonstrating his ability under pressure and comfortability in the contest when the time called for it. Duursma’s skills were particularly noticeable early in the piece when others were getting used to the conditions, cleanly picking up ground balls with one hand and using it well by foot to follow. Duursma was strong and consistently ‘one-grab’ overhead for the day making him a reliable link-up player from defence to offence, as his side often looked to head forward through his wing. The most impressive aspect of Duursma’s game was arguably how well he released teammates by hand, with well weighted, yet penetrating, handballs forward he was able to keep his team moving forward quickly regardless of where the call was coming from.

#16 Jobe Scapin
Forward | 186cm | 01/05/2007

Stats:
14 disposals, 7 inside 50s, 2 goals

Another promising bottom-ager in the Gippsland ranks, Scapin was on from the very start, capitalising on Gippsland’s first forward 50 entry with a clean ground ball win to snap a goal over his shoulder. It felt like every time Scapin used the footy it led to a scoring opportunity for his side, showing smart positioning to get into the best position for a mark and clean skills at ground level to crumb from marking contests, even showing some contested craft in the third quarter where he held his feet after copping a bump near the boundary line, keeping the ball alive and kicking it to a teammate leading into goal. When he wasn’t kicking or assisting goals, Scapin’s movement further afield was also valuable to Gippsland coming out of defence, as he regularly presented as an option outside of the 50, or worked hard to be part of possession chains heading forward.

#26 Mitch Stevens
Wing/Defender | 185cm | 15/08/2007

Stats:
11 disposals, 2 marks, 2 inside 50s

One for the Crows fans to track through 2025, the bottom-aged son of Mark Stevens provided drive from the defensive half and off the wing through the game. Stevens was an aerial threat through the game as he regularly flew for marks in packs when Eastern was looking to rebound, able to follow up well at ground level if no one could hold onto the footy, showing good composure and courage with the threat of oncoming contact. Stevens showed good vision when in possession, often looking to attack the corridor by either hand or foot when he had the ball, able to spot teammates in space consistently.

#27 Asher Eastham
Defender | 188cm | 13/05/2006

Stats:
10 disposals, 7 marks, 4 rebound 50s

More commonly seen stuffing the scoreboard in the forwardline, Eastham was given the opportunity to line up at the other end of the ground and demonstrated his versatility with a strong performance. Able to translate his marking ability from his time up forward, Eastham was strong aerially all game, reading the ball well in flight and positioning in dangerous spots, able to intercept a few of Eastern’s more promising opportunities on goal. Eastham’s use by foot was mostly good for the game, looking to exit the defensive half through the wings but also comfortable going through the corridor when the opportunity presented.

#31 Alix Tauru
Defender/Midfielder | 194cm | 16/11/2006

Stats:
12 disposals, 2 marks, 5 tackles

On return from his late Vic Country call-up, Tauru was another Gippsland player given an opportunity in a new role, lining up in the centre square for most of the game. Whilst there’s certainly a way to go in Tauru’s midfield and stoppage craft, the athletic 194cm prospect showed some promising signs with his contest work at ground level, and precise handballing from the inside, where his ability to keep his arms free in tackles helped him absorb pressure longer to further release teammates into space. Tauru still managed to have an impact aerially when stationed in the midfield, pushing back to aid his defence when Eastern won possession to intercept when he could. Tauru was moved into the backline again halfway through the third quarter, finishing the game strongly with some good run tackle and marking efforts.

EASTERN RANGES:

Christian Moraes
Midfielder/Forward | 183cm | 08/11/2006

Stats:
25 disposals, 4 marks, 1 goal

Moraes started the game strongly as he slotted the opening goal of the game in the first 30 seconds, with a smart run forward of stoppage, receiving a releasing handball and launching from the centre square. Moraes was a strong first possession winner around stoppages for the day, reading the ball off rucks hands well, but often pounced on early by opposition making it hard to release the ball cleanly, however in open play Moraes was able to show his usual slickness by hand, with his vision and agility allowing him to effectively release runners from congestion. Moraes running power was well on display as he regularly looked to be part of Eastern’s offensive chains, and covered ground well to be a marking option. There were moments through the game where Moraes would’ve been better getting boot to ball rather than disposing of it by hand, occasionally slowing down his side in transition by preferring to go by hand.

#26 Josh Smillie
Midfielder | 194cm | 17/05/2006

Stats:
26 disposals, 7 tackles, 1 goal

Smillie had a mixed day, able to show off his cleanliness by hand and below his knees, but struggling at times to effectively use the ball by foot whilst on the move. Smillie displayed his physicality well around stoppages and when one-on-one up forward, comfortable pushing opponents aside to give himself an unimpeded run at the footy, but looking to take contested footy, both in the air and at ground level, in his stride as he regularly held onto most things he went for. Smillie covered the ground well in open play, regularly pushing into the defensive 50 to be an option in transition, better able to show off his ability by foot when kicking from a mark. Smillie stepped up defensively in the last quarter when the game was in the balance, laying a couple of strong tackles around the ground and regularly pressuring when Gippsland won it from stoppage.

#44 Seth MacDonald
Forward | 189cm | 14/09/2006

Stats:
14 disposals, 3 marks, 4 goals

Clearly his side’s strongest performer, MacDonald was a spark in Eastern’s front half across all four quarters, finishing with four majors to his name. MacDonald worked hard up the ground to present as a link-up option for his side coming out of defence, able to lose his opponent through constant movement to win ball essentially uncontested and keep his side moving forward. MacDonald made sure everyone at the game knew what he could do aerially though, getting onto opponents shoulders multiple times through the game. MacDonald was good when Gippsland won the ball inside his 50 as well, putting in hard efforts to lay tackles or pressure opposition as they disposed of it.

Woah another opportunity to flog some notes!

GWV REBELS:

Rhys Unwin
Midfielder/Forward | 178cm | 11/10/2006

Stats:
21 disposals, 5 inside 50s, 1 goal

Unwin’s work rate and cleanliness at ground level stood out throughout the game, as he consistently managed to collect the ball off the deck at speed despite the wet conditions. With his eagerness to attack the ball at pace and tenacity, Unwin was dangerous around stoppages around the ground, chasing hard to pressure opposition that managed to get hold the ball. When Unwin had ball in hand, he often backed in his athleticism to run and carry in space, and even got around opposition when they closed in. Unwin was manic in how he applied pressure when in the forward 50 as well, snagging a goal from spoiling an attempted switch kick inside 50 and snapping from the boundary

#6 Jack Ough
Midfielder | 194cm | 15/12/2006

Stats:
32 disposals, 8 marks, 7 tackles

More often seen taking control of a wing, Ough put in arguably the performance of the week at Talent League level playing exclusively through the centre. The 194cm talent is well known for his athletic traits and put them to use well against the Cannons, using his speed and agility well to get through congestion with the footy and impact at stoppages, or making the most of his size advantage by standing up in tackles with his arms free, giving sharp handballs to teammates in space. Ough’s ability to cover ground lead to him putting in another high work rate performance, providing an option constantly in the attacking phase, and getting involved in possession chains multiple times at speed, but also remaining defensively accountable throughout.

#7 Oliver Hannaford
Forward/Midfielder | 180cm | 01/09/2006

A bit of an energiser bunny for his side, Hannaford’s speed and attack on the ball, particularly in the forward half, was constant across the four quarters. He was unrelenting in his attack on the footy and opposition alike, never been knocked off the footy in a contest and never giving up on a tackle, when an opportunity to impact came calling Hannaford always answered. Epitomising this was a play late in the third quarter, where Hannaford won a clearance from a forward 50 stoppage, handing off to a teammate and running hard to get it back and snap one from the boundary.

#8 Jonty Faull
Key Forward | 195cm | 01/02/2006

The AFL Academy tall continued his trend of kicking multiple goals, converting two first half shots before finding himself moving further afield in the second. Whilst the conditions of rain and wind don’t traditionally suit tall forwards, Faull found no issues as he consistently clunked anything that came his way, with his contested marking a particular highlight as he managed to hold front position regardless of how many Cannons defenders tried to move him.

CALDER CANNONS:

Isaac Kako
Midfielder/Forward | 175cm | 07/03/2006

Stats:
19 disposals, 7 marks, 2 goals

Even without stuffing the stats sheet like he typically does, Kako lost no admirers from the game with another influential performance through the midfield. Kako did as he typically does against the Rebels, with all of his disposals impactful through his clean use by hand and foot alike, combined with his vision and confidence to take riskier options, when Kako had the footy something exciting happened. He still managed to keep his record of multiple scoring shots alive with two majors, working hard when the ball was moving forward to be an option and stay involved.

#10 Damon Hollow
Midfielder/Forward | 180cm | 30/03/2006

Stats:
22 disposals, 8 marks, 2 goals

Hollow has become somewhat renowned for his consistency at Talent League level, rocking up each week and providing a hard edge wherever he’s deployed and Sunday was no different. Despite many players on field showing relentless attack on the footy and clean hands from the inside, Hollow still stood out in both areas as he took the game on at full pace, demonstrating this best with a clean clearance win in his defensive 50, where he proceeded to go for a five-bounce run up the field despite multiple opponents chasing. When Hollow rested forward he was still impactful slotting two majors, one from a clean ground ball pick up and evading of an opponent, and the other from a set shot, earned with a strong contested mark at the top of the 50.

#17 Nash King
Midfielder | 181cm | 05/01/2006

Stats:
31 disposals, 5 marks, 7 inside 50s

Calder’s top accumulator on the day, where some of the other Calder midfielders popped up with scoreboard impact in the front half, King was equally impressive with his impact in the defensive half, covering the ground well to get from contest to contest and extract the footy, using clean hands to release runners, or occasionally looking to burst out and deliver a kick forward himself.

#27 Patrick Said
Midfielder/Forward | 180cm | 24/04/2006

Stats:
26 disposals, 12 marks, 12 inside 50s, 2 goals

One that has quietly enjoyed a bit of a purple patch over the last 4 rounds of Talent League action, Said was yet another Calder MID/FWD that impressed in both areas of the ground. Said had some clean moments around stoppage where he lost his opponent and got onto the ball from the rucks hands, typically looking run his full distance and deliver deep inside 50. Said was another that worked hard to provide an option for his teammates around the ground, taking a game high 12 marks and typically using the ball well to follow up.

If Ashcroft goes top 5 and S Marshall top 15 will Bris be able to come up with the required draft picks?
I’d say Richmond’s later picks bundled to the lions for their 1st pick (16-20) could be an option. Would cover a bid for Ashcroft early but not sure about a Marshall bid at #15.

If Ashcroft goes top 5 and S Marshall top 15 will Bris be able to come up with the required draft picks?
Under the current method I don't think it'd be that much of an issue.

Would struggle under the proposed rules though, but luckily for the Lions they aren't coming in until next year.

Yes, because under current rules we can take a deficit of 1723 points in to the following years draft, if we haven't traded any of our future picks out.

I believe it's unlikely Marshall will be bid on in the first round, unless he has a big end of season for Sandringham.
I’d say Richmond’s later picks bundled to the lions for their 1st pick (16-20) could be an option. Would cover a bid for Ashcroft early but not sure about a Marshall bid at #15.
Definitely on the cards.

I generally wait for the notes on RMC to be released but some thoughts on Murray v Stingrays;

• Cooper Hynes and Harvey Langford are two that I've consistently struggled with ranking, both lack the raw athletic traits that midfielders, and most roles now, almost need if they're to succeed at AFL level. Langford's top speed, in my opinion, is good enough for the top level and with his workrate/ ability to cover the ground fairly well I'm pretty confident he'll have a role at the next level now, potentially as a winger. I still don't love his disposal under pressure but with wingers generally giving more opportunities to dispose in space I don't think it'll be a major issue. Hynes could well be a forward with his smarts and, mostly, clean use of the footy, I'm really starting to see his tendency to move the ball into the corridor more and more, but I do see a transition into a centre square mid as more likely for him than Langford still
  • Jack Whitlock still remains in contention for the best KPF in the pool imo, I'd love to see some better physicality, particularly to take control of front spot in marking contests, but I've liked his contested marking development and ground ball game over the last month or so
  • Matt Whitlock is eerily similar to Sam Darcy in some of his traits and ability to play well at both ends, interesting to see where he's developed at AFL level given the clear desire for key sat both ends currently. Personally prefer him as a defender long term, but think the lack of kicking penetration may be something that worries clubs away from that
  • Joe Berry's midfield experiment has been mixed, has that burst speed and ball reading to be damaging there, but it's hard to see it consistently when Murray's midfield are often outsized and he's copping the most attention of them.

Is it too much of a reach to think Richmond will take Harry Armstrong at pick 1?
I see this draft as simular to the year GWS took Cademan.
I don't think so. GWS had so many top picks and mids and desperately needed a tall forward. From memory he was touted pick 3 or 4 anyway and GWS traded up to make sure they got him.

PMBangers what about you and Senor Alvaro swap places for one match each? You do a Colts game this week - carefully hand picked by myself - Alvaro does the Talent League match you were planning on watching.

Yes, you'll have to do the poor person's game assessment via a stream, unless of course RmC pay for your airfare to WA. If they do pay then you'll be required to leave the state within 24 hours of the completion of the match naturally. We don't want any Vics visiting and applying for asylum. Just remember there is no such thing as a pot or a schooner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert PMBangers 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back