Academy 2024 Northern Academies (Boys)

Remove this Banner Ad

King Chamberlain and Carmichael . Maybe in that order although I do think maybe Carmichael only top 30

So the recent King hype is real.

It'd be a great step for the academy if it could produce that depth in one draft. Though, under the proposed rules there's probably a pass somewhere in there if it does go as you say. I'm hearing the year below is even stronger but we might lose a few to other sports and f/Sons. Interesting times, lots of strategy required at draft time

Thanks for replying.

So the recent King hype is real.

It'd be a great step for the academy if it could produce that depth in one draft. Though, under the proposed rules there's probably a pass somewhere in there if it does go as you say. I'm hearing the year below is even stronger but we might lose a few to other sports and f/Sons. Interesting times, lots of strategy required at draft time

Thanks for replying.
Swans U16 academy smashed both the Suns and the Lions academies in the U16's.

Lions have some decent height who will be U17 next year, who could probably play as a bottom ager in the Allies team, if it needs some genuine tall targets.

Are there any northern academy kids other than the obvious Lombard, Marshall, Smith that other clubs would/should be looking at? Obviously the Allies didnt do aswell as last year at the champs, but I am wondering if there is talent in the northern states not getting the exposure that should be considered.

Ty Gallop - played 2 x Allies games and kicked 8 on the weekend in the QAFL against the top ranked side littered with AFL/VFL talent.

Tom Gillet - only played 1 x Allies game, but stuck behind the best ruckman in the draft. Think he probably gets picked up, not really a smoky.

Ryan Gilder - an absolute raw athletic specimen, like a Blicavs type. Could play anywhere. Played all 4 x Allies games as a defender, but can play wing, midfield, forward.

Fergus McFayden - upside is huge, from a talented family that all had draft options and first class cricket options, think both his older brothers pursued cricket, but this one sticking with footy and is seriously good. Played flank and win in the Allies

Wyatt Greenaway - didn' play Allies surprisingly, but has been playing quality VFL footy for the Lions ahead of his peers who were picked in the Allies. A storng wingman with good skills and he's a tough nut

Zai Millane - played Allies, didn't have a great impact but he can seriously play. Has time and composure and has been playing excellent senior footy for Suns and his QAFL club

For mine, those are the ones to watch in QLD outside Lombard.

Ty Gallop - played 2 x Allies games and kicked 8 on the weekend in the QAFL against the top ranked side littered with AFL/VFL talent.

Tom Gillet - only played 1 x Allies game, but stuck behind the best ruckman in the draft. Think he probably gets picked up, not really a smoky.

Ryan Gilder - an absolute raw athletic specimen, like a Blicavs type. Could play anywhere. Played all 4 x Allies games as a defender, but can play wing, midfield, forward.

Fergus McFayden - upside is huge, from a talented family that all had draft options and first class cricket options, think both his older brothers pursued cricket, but this one sticking with footy and is seriously good. Played flank and win in the Allies

Wyatt Greenaway - didn' play Allies surprisingly, but has been playing quality VFL footy for the Lions ahead of his peers who were picked in the Allies. A storng wingman with good skills and he's a tough nut

Zai Millane - played Allies, didn't have a great impact but he can seriously play. Has time and composure and has been playing excellent senior footy for Suns and his QAFL club

I have only watched minimal highlight footage of Ty Gallop and really liked what I saw... what is the knock on him that no Phantom Drafters rate him in their rankings?

Are there any northern academy kids other than the obvious Lombard, Marshall, Smith that other clubs would/should be looking at? Obviously the Allies didnt do aswell as last year at the champs, but I am wondering if there is talent in the northern states not getting the exposure that should be considered.

For the swans the players for this year to watch are:

Cochran - mostly an intercepting third tall. Has played to an ok standard in VFL and not been a standout in u18 matches. Athletic l, however kicking can let him down. Likely third rounder

Harrison - in and under midfield but has been thrown around in different positions throughout the season. Recently played VFL for swans and didn't look out of place. Likely to be a rookie selection

Andreacchio - hdf/small lock down forward. Been playing in tandem with Carmichael in allies team. Likely a rookie pick at this point in time.

Carmichael - classy HBF/wing player. Very cool and calm with ball in hand. Rem8nds me of HBF Mills for us. Will likely be a first/second in 2025

King - super athletic player who can play in a multitude of positions. Has played up forward and as a KPF at times for the swans. Excellent above his head. Likely second/third rounder currently

Chamberlain - previously a KPF in u16s, has been swung onto the wing as a tall link man in and out of the arcs. Great foot skills when he has time and space. Likely second or third rounder

O'loughlin - FS pick, plays as a small fwd currently and has been injury interrupted this year. Currently outside chance for a rookie pick.

2026 (wwwaaayyy too early)
Blackwell-Smith - MVP for swans u16 carnival. Good explosive second possession player. Will need to up his possession count ober then next two years

McCartney - mobile KPF who is good above his head. Spearheading swans attack, is one of the best prospects in the academy. Is a F/S prospect for North.

McGroder - Athletic utility who can play in ruck or as a key. Has a great speed for a tall. Is one of the most intriguing prospects, depending on how he develops

Jenkins twins - Will and Guy play on the opposit wings, with Guy being the more industrious of the two on the wings.

None whatsoever.

Suspicious Hollywood GIF by Holly Logan

Always Sunny Shut Up GIF
Always Sunny Shut Up GIF

I have only watched minimal highlight footage of Ty Gallop and really liked what I saw... what is the knock on him that no Phantom Drafters rate him in their rankings?

1. Poor Allies campaign, which is the #1 way of getting exposure for young QLDers
2. Beyond Allies, lazy recruiters just don't pay any attention to QLD kids - which is unfortunate given the political nature of Academy selection processes and thus Allies after that by extension

For the swans the players for this year to watch are:

Cochran - mostly an intercepting third tall. Has played to an ok standard in VFL and not been a standout in u18 matches. Athletic l, however kicking can let him down. Likely third rounder

Harrison - in and under midfield but has been thrown around in different positions throughout the season. Recently played VFL for swans and didn't look out of place. Likely to be a rookie selection

Andreacchio - hdf/small lock down forward. Been playing in tandem with Carmichael in allies team. Likely a rookie pick at this point in time.

Carmichael - classy HBF/wing player. Very cool and calm with ball in hand. Rem8nds me of HBF Mills for us. Will likely be a first/second in 2025

King - super athletic player who can play in a multitude of positions. Has played up forward and as a KPF at times for the swans. Excellent above his head. Likely second/third rounder currently

Chamberlain - previously a KPF in u16s, has been swung onto the wing as a tall link man in and out of the arcs. Great foot skills when he has time and space. Likely second or third rounder

O'loughlin - FS pick, plays as a small fwd currently and has been injury interrupted this year. Currently outside chance for a rookie pick.

2026 (wwwaaayyy too early)
Blackwell-Smith - MVP for swans u16 carnival. Good explosive second possession player. Will need to up his possession count ober then next two years

McCartney - mobile KPF who is good above his head. Spearheading swans attack, is one of the best prospects in the academy. Is a F/S prospect for North.

McGroder - Athletic utility who can play in ruck or as a key. Has a great speed for a tall. Is one of the most intriguing prospects, depending on how he develops

Jenkins twins - Will and Guy play on the opposit wings, with Guy being the more industrious of the two on the wings.

Isn't McGroder the freak athlete? Pretty sure I read somewhere we've got an academy player ranked top 5 in the world in long jump - U18s. Current Australian U20's champ and is also U17 400 metres champ

Isn't McGroder the freak athlete? Pretty sure I read somewhere we've got an academy player ranked top 5 in the world in long jump - U18s. Current Australian U20's champ and is also U17 400 metres champ

Yup, is an absolute freak athletically.

Remember a few weeks back had a stellar bursting run and goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy 2024 Northern Academies (Boys)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back