Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back with the group? The bloke is training 1 day a week with the VFL squad.

FMD the Kneejerk Knights love to run a mile.
He's been sent down to train with amateurs to "bridge professional standards".

When was the last time this happened? If it was purely about a lack of tank we would have seen the same for Keeler and Heath.

This is clearly a disciplinary manoeuvre. Now I'm not not saying it's a career ender by any stretch of the imagination, but it's the equivalent of getting negative feedback in your first performance review.

When was the last time this happened? If it was purely about a lack of tank we would have seen the same for Keeler and Heath.

This is clearly a disciplinary manoeuvre. Now I'm not not saying it's a career ender by any stretch of the imagination, but it's the equivalent of getting negative feedback in your first performance review.
This is so obviously correct, I'm not sure how people are even arguing to the contrary.

Wonder if Ari has been big noting his crack too much and looking down on the vfl players when they train with us.
Best cure for that would be to send him to join them.

The way you framed it was that he was on his last legs - “oh well we’ve only wasted pick 173”.
Hopefully his bad habits don’t spread to the other draftees. Spare me. It’s not that serious.

So Dow is unlikely to be in the Round 1 side now. We have enough depth for a Geelong side where midfield depth is not their strong suit.

A 4 week injury means he’s hopefully back in full training by late Feb.

1st game is March 16.

Wouldn’t discount him yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something can be a disciplinary measure without being a response to a specific event or without being punishment. The list of players for whom this has happened and they've kicked on is pretty long.
You cant say I want to discipline you but not for any specific reason , I just feel you need discipline.

How the feck would the kid know what he needs to improve on

This forum is too funny to read. Arie delisted ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Arie disciplinary issues when clearly that isn't what Mitch Cleary said ??!?!?!?!?!?! Arie finished ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Clearly Arie has made the tough call to retire from AFL footy and will now join the VFL team but only has to train once a week because every other night is for getting on the schooners.
I'm glad someone cleared that up for us.

The story of Ari going outside on draft night believing his chance was gone before we picked him was hopefully the “kick up the bum” moment for his footy he needed. I don’t think there’s any smoke nor fire here, and will be a huge plus for us if he smashes this block and really proves himself to the coaches and his teammates

You cant say I want to discipline you but not for any specific reason , I just feel you need discipline.

How the feck would the kid know what he needs to improve on

A specific event is not the same thing as a number of events, or just a behavioral trend. I'm positive the kids needs to get fitter, and probably be a bit more professional. Might be a combination of things. I'm sure what he needs to improve on and why has been communicated to him.

Well another embarrassing season has already started to unfold at Moorabbin. Our coach has bullied every good person out of the place, we’re stealing money from a charity, we sack our CEO and now our star draftee has been delisted…..and it’s only January!
Yes its laughable the spin that journo's choose to put on it rather than:

Saints off to an impressive start for season 2024. Starting with organised, professional, high intensity training and exciting draftees, trades with real foot speed, developing youth and experienced players. The club has set goals to bring in new staff in the ongoing upgrade of staff and facilities. Danny Frawley Centre that is currently completely bankrolled by the club, sees that in the future, when they are financially viable, they will be able to pay rent for the facilities that they use. New Saints recruit off to VFL for additional training sessions in order to attain the required fitness standards now needed of all St Kilda players.

A little different view of the same facts.

Last edited:
Just caught up on the Arie storm. Disgraceful that we wasted a draft pick on someone so obviously unsuited to the rigours of the AFL.

C'mon Bassat - grow a set and sack SOS now!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A specific event is not the same thing as a number of events, or just a behavioral trend. I'm positive the kids needs to get fitter, and probably be a bit more professional. Might be a combination of things. I'm sure what he needs to improve on and why has been communicated to him.
Righto

Lost credibility when you called VFL players amateurs. Everything after that is white noise.
It is obvious the analytics guys and sports scientists have deemed he is not fit enough.
Also he willplay his football at VFL so why not train once a week down there.
Pick 62 hardly something to claw at your face about.
Probably a big kick and big body dominated his little pond in Tassie.
Takes more than that in a RL coached team.
He learns quickly or back to the little pond for him.
Nothing conspiratorial about it.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think fans need to argue too much about this.
We have limited info, and the info and wording that we do have pretty naturally leads to some assumptions.
On the other hand there might not be anything much to it. Will have to wait and see.

If I remember, Arie was living with Steele. If that's still the case, pretty sure Steele, Ross & Co have a pretty good window into Arie's lifestyle and preparation.

For all we know, Arie might be totally on board with this extra training.
Another comment about how this might mean Arie is being fast tracked to give him a chance of debuting early is also a possibility for all we know. (As opposed to Keeler etc who might not be in consideration at this point)

At the end of the day I don't think any of us think this is a bad thing for him.

Also, there are "professional standards" and there are the standards that Ross requires for his run-heavy gameplan. So I wouldn't read into things that he's miles off the AFL pace for a key position draftee. But the wording could have been carefully chosen too.

When the praccy matches start, if he's not in the mix it will be a pretty clear message - but until then it's a good watch for the people rocking up to training at least.

I think we must have some very fit supporters. With all the leaping to conclusions that's going on in here it's obvious we have a significant number of fans that make sure they are up early every day for their Aerobics Oz Style workout !

Of course, I am up early every day for that too, but probably for a different reason..........

Lost credibility when you called VFL players amateurs. Everything after that is white noise.
It is obvious the analytics guys and sports scientists have deemed he is not fit enough.
Also he willplay his football at VFL so why not train once a week down there.
Pick 62 hardly something to claw at your face about.
Probably a big kick and big body dominated his little pond in Tassie.
Takes more than that in a RL coached team.
He learns quickly or back to the little pond for him.
Nothing conspiratorial about it.

VFL players are amateurs by definition... they're not professionals, most of them have full time jobs.

Weird hill to die on.

I think the fact that Ari has been singled out bodes very well for him. Pretty sure this underlines the desire for Ari to be fit and selectable. And that's probably based on the fact that RtB and the coaching panel have seen enough to know he is a talent. Just an unrefined one at this stage.

Chip. Polish. Chip. Polish.

Voila. Un diamant.

Nothing I have seen at training from Shoenmaker would suggest he is not giving his all or has not got the right attitude.
Cordy was unfit when he got to the Saints, Stocker was unfit when he got to the Saints. Both were put on modified training programs.
It is not unusual. The interesting part will be how he responds and how quickly he can build up his fitness base to a sufficient level.

Exactly. First pre season also.
Give the kid a break.

Let me put it to you this way.

If there was a disciplinary issue with Ari.

With the week that we have had with Lethers quitting and the beat up on Ross….

Don’t you think the media would make quite a show about a draftee doing the wrong thing?

And all we have is the herald sun and Cleary saying he is going to do an additional body of fitness work 1 night a week at Sandringham
The media stay clear of draftees and MH issues. Head office would not approve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back