Training 2024 Preseason training reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't Max get votes for best Lions player in one of our matches? Already a fan!!!
Round 22, 2022
Screenshot_20240226_203819_AFL.jpg
And it wasn't even the 5 behinds, it was when they came. Mainly in the 3rd quarter when they were dominating and had the chance to run away with the game instead of taking just a 5 point lead to the last change.

On Charlie Cameron, where does he stand re the GOAT small forwards... IMO right up there with the likes of Cyril Rioli, Stephen Milne, Eddie Betts, Jeff Farmer.

If Jason Akermanis played as a permanent small forward he would have been pretty damn good.
I've got Cyril ahead on the strength of 4 premierships and a Norm Smith (which he had sewn up at half time, such was his impact on the 2015 GF).

Betts is an interesting comparison... 350 games for 640 goals (1.83 goals per game), including 31 goals in 13 finals (2.38) and 1 goal in his only Grand Final (2017).

Cameron 360 goals in 202 games (1.78), 40 goals in 19 finals (2.11) and 4 goals in his 2 Grand Finals. Take your pick really.

Charlie might not get to 350 games, but he's certainly played in a disproportionate number of finals compared to his total number of games. Has he simply been in the right place at the right time, at both Adelaide and Brisbane? Or does the way he play somehow contribute to team success more than the way Eddie played?

I've got both of those miles ahead of those other two pretenders. Milne pooping his pants on Grand Final day 2009, trying to grubber a goal from 35 metres that trickled to the goal line and got cut off, sticks in my memory. Sheer hilarity. And Farmer had plenty of icing but very little cake.

I know, feels like yesterday he debuted. In saying that he is 27 for the full season turning 28 in December so essentially won’t be 28 until the 2025 season. Still a good 5 years of high quality footy left after this year you’d think.
It's interesting to note that average list ages are just getting older and older all the time. I think Collingwood this season don't just have the oldest list of the 18 clubs (25.9 years), but they have the oldest list of any club EVER. Yep, even older than Geelong's dad's army teams of 2022 (25.6) and 2011 (24.3).

Round 22, 2022
View attachment 1914056
And it wasn't even the 5 behinds, it was when they came. Mainly in the 3rd quarter when they were dominating and had the chance to run away with the game instead of taking just a 5 point lead to the last change.
That's the one - and we wanted him put on the poll for best player for the Lions but they wouldn't do it - so he was a write in candidate but we didn't have paper :(

We should be taking a lot of intercept marks in the D50 this season, we have 2 elite interceptors in Andrews and Doedee and another in Payne who when in form is very good as well. Perfect time to do a quick rebound, hopefully this is part of our new offensive strategy.

Who will we want to get loose as the prime interceptor, Doedee or Andrews?

Also great to hear in Danny Daly's interview yesterday that we have been spending more time than previous off seasons on skills development.

We should be taking a lot of intercept marks in the D50 this season, we have 2 elite interceptors in Andrews and Doedee and another in Payne who when in form is very good as well. Perfect time to do a quick rebound, hopefully this is part of our new offensive strategy.

Also great to hear in Danny Daly's interview yesterday that we have been spending more time than previous off seasons on skills development.
Ideally we don't want to have a prime interceptor. We want them both involved. Makes it that much harder for an opposing forward line to quell. Unless they want to play two defensive forwards and then I guess it becomes a similar question to that about midfield tagging... How much of it can you do before it impacts on your own scoring ability?

You'd think it may be matchup dependent, but primarily Doedee? Harris is a very good 1 on 1 defender. In the past he has been troubled when he is caught out between trying to be that third in and defending his own man. Both will have licence to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Tunstill is in for Lyons then who is in for Dev? Assume he won't be quite right. Also, who makes way for Payne?

You mean round one.

I don’t buy into this BS opening round nonsense. All rounds have numbers. What space cadet at the AFL thought up that garbage and then what muppets actually implement it 🙄

Don't let it ruin your day McIvor. You don't want to get bitter and end up like BRAB

If Tunstill is in for Lyons then who is in for Dev? Assume he won't be quite right. Also, who makes way for Payne?
Just noticed on lions.com that Robertson/Neale/Berry will play against the Swans on Thursday so from the Grand final 23 IMO >

Outs- Connor McKenna, Jarryd Lyons(sub).

Ins- Jack Payne, James Tunstill(sub).

Harry Sharp may come in for Gardiner or Lester if we want more run.

I've just gone from having a half day off to head out there to figuring out what to do with a half day off plus having to walk through Rooty Hill at 10pm.

Ahhh, Rooty Hill RSL .............................. lived up to it's name, when I was a wee lad .............................. so long as the local lads didn't take notice .................. (lost some bark there too).

View attachment 1914415
Personally, i think Tunstill in for Dev.
However, Dev has a chance v Swans to show how his game fitness and ball handling skills are up to scratch for OR.
Not worried about who is chosen for that sub spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Preseason training reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back