Autopsy 2024 Rd 10 Pack up the tents, we're going home. Swans smash Blues.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 10 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We beat GC and Essendon. Port is the worry.

We need to win 11 of our last 13 if we hope for top 4.

Adelaide loss still hurts.

Did you see GC last night, and us tonight?

It would be as big a turnaround as last year's game against them imo. Doing it with the injuries we have (and add Weitering and maybe even Walsh based on how he looked tonight...)

The one positive is that we did turn it around last year and that holds some hope. Voss has shown the capacity to lead against adversity if nothing else...

Should be in the VFL developing his game but no Motlop, no Fogarty, no Martin, no JSOS. Simply no pressure coming from the VFL. This is why all injuries matter not jut the walk-up starts.

He is a 4th year player, how long did we expect to leave him in the 2s? He has shown nothing to suggest he will be a long term player at the level.

Two years is diabolical injuries or not.

Geez some of you lot are fickle!

We got beaten playing on their dung heap, we are well and truly running thin on troops and have not yet had anything like a settled team for 2 games in a row all season.

We have also had without doubt the most brutal fixture over the last 6 weeks without a let up.

It's disappointing to lose, its disappointing to be beaten by 50 points but they way some of you attack individual players and the coaching set up is infantile.

Put ya big boy pants on and show the club some courage to back em in when the chips are down.

Its simply about our chances of top 4 and a flag chance slipping. Everything you said is true and we all know your points.

Doesnt change the realisation a flag chance is slipping.

To one of your points, we have GC and Port away. I doubt we win the second one. We most likely outside the 8, and slipping out of touch for top 4.

Let there be pessimism.

Stats are meaningless without results.
Some of those are extremely flattering to Fantasia, but realistically, just what exactly did those pressure acts result in?
I think he's kicked 1 goal this year. Missed several set shots and contributed jack sfa.

I wasn't trying to flatter Fantasia. We are struggling with our small forwards so I gave some relevant stats that we judge small forwards on. Owies escapes because he knows his way to goal and gets more of it.

Forgot disposals: Williams 11, Owies 11, Fantasia 8, Durdin 3.

It's not pretty reading and hasn't been for the whole year. Can't wait for Motlop to get back and get up to speed.

Agree but how can we miss so many tackles - its like we have no strength

What do we do over preseason ? Its crazy
It's absolutely shocking. Technique is bad. There's a lot of arm tackles without proper body. There's heads going down which is easy to evade or break. There's very rarely getting the arm to prevent a handball. Horrible.
Sheesh.
Are we anywhere near this mob even with our best side?
On talent? Yes. Nothing else.

Should be in the VFL developing his game but no Motlop, no Fogarty, no Martin, no JSOS. Simply no pressure coming from the VFL. This is why all injuries matter not jut the walk-up starts.

Binns dominates VFL and they refuse to pick him. I understand he isn’t a small forward but neither is Durdin on evidence and Binns is certainly a better pure footballer.

He is a 4th year player, how long did we expect to leave him in the 2s? He has shown nothing to suggest he will be a long term player at the level.

Two years is diabolical injuries or not.
To be fair to him he has had injury issues which would have disrupted his development at VFL level. I still think he can be a player for us and not particularly worried about a 2-year contract.

Binns dominates VFL and they refuse to pick him. I understand he isn’t a small forward but neither is Durdin on evidence and Binns is certainly a better pure footballer.
You bring Binns in to play a role he doesn't play at VFL level. Just to drop him next week when we get some small forwards back? I personally don't see the point.

Really poor performance that lacked pressure and intensity, our tackling, not only tonight is bad and has been bad for ages, we have too many players who are easily brushed off or side stepped.

Sydney, like Collingwood a few weeks ago, were hungrier, stronger and broke out of stoppages and tackles at will, it was like the sea parted every time there players got the ball, especially Warner.

It’s a bit of a worry that we have a long injury list, but our midfield is relatively unaffected, yet this is where we were flogged tonight, Weitering not being injured would have done stuff all and Martin playing would have had no effect, we looked slow and flat through the middle after the first 15 minutes.

I have know idea what has happened to Ollie Hollands, he has been poor, gets dropped, comes back and looks totally at sea, no composure, constantly fumbles, and can’t tackle, Ollie had a very good first season last year and looked good in pre-season and now he looks a mess.

Elijah Hollands is building in to a very good player, has plenty to work with and I’m very happy for him.

Sydney are a very good side, lots of people including myself were confused when they chased Jordan and now he’s a solid player, player a role in a good cohesive system, they sure know how to target a role player and get the most out of them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh, not sure why you are all so impressed with the Swans, they haven’t beaten anyone above them on the ladder yet.

Geez some of you lot are fickle!

We got beaten playing on their dung heap, we are well and truly running thin on troops and have not yet had anything like a settled team for 2 games in a row all season.

We have also had without doubt the most brutal fixture over the last 6 weeks without a let up.

It's disappointing to lose, its disappointing to be beaten by 50 points but they way some of you attack individual players and the coaching set up is infantile.

Put ya big boy pants on and show the club some courage to back em in when the chips are down.
We are wasting talent and a shot at 17 if we dont make the top 4 this year

The players dont get younger

I wasn't trying to flatter Fantasia. We are struggling with our small forwards so I gave some relevant stats that we judge small forwards on. Owies escapes because he knows his way to goal and gets more of it.

Forgot disposals: Williams 11, Owies 11, Fantasia 8, Durdin 3.

It's not pretty reading and hasn't been for the whole year. Can't wait for Motlop to get back and get up to speed.
Owies kept attacking throughout the game. That's all you can ask when the midfield was so poor.
Williams had some good moments later in the game, but still not a pass for someone of his experience. That said, he'll be better for the run next week.
I used to love the way Durdin played but he seriously is nowhere near it ATM.

Sorry to say but there were more than a few that showed that they are not up to the level when it comes to playing sides that are not only good at the contest but also have leg speed.

Injuries are 0 factor because none of them except Saad bring what we need to compete. Sydney have half a dozen players who can run, carry and use the ball like him.

All of the following would of helped tonight:

Cerra - way more dynamic a midfielder than either Kennedy or Hewett
Cottrell - really missed his running capacity and creativity around half forward
Fogarty - our loss of pressure in forward 50 since he has been out has been glaring
Martin - adds smarts and nous up forward freeing others up from being double teamed as easily
Motlop - someone who has the smarts and ability to crumb and take half chances
Docherty - leadership, on field coach, versatility, run and dash etc

On top of that our options are further limited with JSOS gone for the year, Cuningham always injured and even Sam Durdin always having something wrong with him.

Never before has a side who’s best 23 is missing close to the most games overall (we ranked 1st for most games missed before tonight) has been able to win a flag, especially in the afl salary cap/equalisation era.

Out of the sides with the worst injury lists of the top 7 we are the only one with a positive win loss record, number 8 on the list of most games missed is then Melbourne.

Then looking at the list of sides who’ve had the least games missed it reads like the top sides on the ladder almost:

Total Matches Lost to Best 22
1. Carlton 60
2. Richmond 57
3. Hawthorn 47
3. St Kilda 47
5. Brisbane Lions 45
6. Adelaide Crows 44
7. West Coast Eagles 42
8. Melbourne 40
9. Fremantle 31
10. North Melbourne 30
11. Sydney Swans 29
12. Essendon 28
13. Geelong Cats 23
13. Gold Coast Suns 23
15. Port Adelaide 21
15. Collingwood 21
17. Western Bulldogs 19
18. GWS Giants 17

We brought in a couple players this year hoping they would make a difference - Elijah looks okay, Fantasia not so much.

But losing Saad, Cerra, Docherty coupled with our midfield getting soundly beaten, we were always going to struggle to get any ascendancy or control between the arcs.

Hopefully getting Saad, Fogarty, Cerra and even Motlop in the coming weeks will help settle the side and improve our teamwork.

The hawks were a genuinely slow ******* team. Speed doesn't matter if you build your game plan, set ups and strength training around it. He was a sniper but I don't think I EVER saw Lewis or Hodge miss a tackle. We are slow AND weak AND set upike we play breakaway footy.... It's moronic

Well hawks had elite foot skills and quality small forwards, and we do not.

1. My concern has always been our players that aren’t in the best 25. We fall away badly in talent

2. All year our “effort” have been inconsistent at best. Tonight was our worst. That’s what got us to a prelim last year. Can’t win without it

3. The form of Charlie Hewett Hollands is a concern. Were a big part of last years run. Really struggling

4. Injuries. The amount we are having would hurt any side. Can’t win flags with large injury lists. Silvagni Docherty Saad Motlop Cerra Fogarty Martin would make a massive difference

I don’t think it’s a talent issue on the list, it’s more that it’s unbalanced still and is carrying too many injury prone players.

We have done a lot of Hail Marys getting injury banged up guys on the cheap in the hope we can get the right. We carry too many on the list.

haha what?

Don't question the fans commitment.

Question everyone at the club who is not a regular fan who has taken the fans support well and truly for granted over the last 30 years.

The fans are the only ones that deserve praise.
You're a better fan than others because you are upset with the team and clubs performance and come on a fan forum to make derogatory comments about club members who give their blood, sweat and tears to achieve something together?

OK???

We all want the club to win but carrying on like you deserve victory and constant validation for your "commitment" to the club seems pretty churlish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 10 Pack up the tents, we're going home. Swans smash Blues.

Back