Autopsy 2024 Rd 16 Blues tame the Tigers easily

Who played well for the Blues in Round 16 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Score Involvements.
Lij had 9 on Sunday (4th most after Walsh, H and Newman).
there is a lot of talk on how well they held H. I will take 15 possessions 8 marks 10 SI and 2 goals from him every week (especially on a wet day). Should have taken a couple of marks and a couple of frees he would normally get which could have given him an extra 2 goals, so the day could have been much better. Also I think the Tigers we very H and CC centric which meant their was plenty of space inside 50 for Owies and Elij. Only criticism was the Tigers did get back into the game in the 5 minutes H was in the ruck in the second quarter after we got out to 5 goals infront.

Another Shout out to Cinc. While Vlaustin had 10 intercepts I didn't really notice it and Cinc had 7 SI. Our small Forwards seem to have improved the handballs links in the chain to create to space to get quality in play shots at goal.

Great effort and while they were close for a while, it was off the back of accurate kicking which was difficult to maintain. We had 7 more shots at half time and only 11 more at the end of the game.

Problem is, this just doesn't bear out statistically.

Hollands averages 3.1 tackles a game (compared to Cotts, who averages 1.7 tackles a game) and a single possession more, as well as more goal assists and a better disposal efficiency. He also averages almost half a tackle more inside forward 50; it mightn't sound like much, but Cotts averages below a tackle a game inside 50 where Ollie lays at least one a match.

Tackles inside 50 being how we generate an awful lot of scores.

I get the drive to include Cotts. I've been a huge fan of his and would love to see him back in, but right now his position - and Martins - is being held by a player with superior output. He's not as good a wing as Ollie, Fantasia's just kicked 4 and Fog 3, and he's not taking Williams spot.

Exactly. Cottrell has never worked as a wingman. He has ONCE got over 20 possessions in a game. Your comments and stats highlight his issues and limitations

This year he really found a role as a defensive HF. He was very good. That’s his go

IMO he’s competing with Fogarty Fantasia Owies Elijah Martin Motlop for a spot not Ollie

The positive is now we have many players competing for roles and that will always make us better

there is a lot of talk on how well they held H. I will take 15 possessions 8 marks 10 SI and 2 goals from him every week (especially on a wet day). Should have taken a couple of marks and a couple of frees he would normally get which could have given him an extra 2 goals, so the day could have been much better. Also I think the Tigers we very H and CC centric which meant their was plenty of space inside 50 for Owies and Elij. Only criticism was the Tigers did get back into the game in the 5 minutes H was in the ruck in the second quarter after we got out to 5 goals infront.

Another Shout out to Cinc. While Vlaustin had 10 intercepts I didn't really notice it and Cinc had 7 SI. Our small Forwards seem to have improved the handballs links in the chain to create to space to get quality in play shots at goal.

Great effort and while they were close for a while, it was off the back of accurate kicking which was difficult to maintain. We had 7 more shots at half time and only 11 more at the end of the game.
could (should) have had 4.

15 possies, 8 marks, 10SI and 4 goals is Brownlow votes.

I wouldn't exactly call that "well held".

One bloke we don’t talk about much is Brian Cook - no coincidence Carlton has evolved into this collective, encouraging & supportive culture under his leadership & mentoring.

Imagine his influence on the over-arching Carlton brand through initiatives like Carlton Respects, our learning centre, our business associations, our extraction from traditional (egoistic) business associations - then the clear internal brand that’s being built through the footy departments.

Whatever we make of this football opportunity - We have him to thank for the brand we have now.
What exactly are you referring to by 'our extraction from traditional (egoistic) business associations' ?

What exactly are you referring to by 'our extraction from traditional (egoistic) business associations' ?
Our deeply engrained (boardroom) associations with wealthy Carlton business interests - those that may have propped us up once & have held as back at the same time.

Bruce Mathieson & son, Richard & Jeanne Pratt, etc etc …

Every single game he plays he does something special.

Of note from this game was the split second it took him to pick the ball off the ground and dish out a handball for Fog's goal.

Note: Fog must like Elijah in the team. Fog's 2nd goal was also a handball receive from none other than Elijah Hollands.

Also had a Judd-like ground all pickup and spin move.

Last play was a 20m handball from his left hand.

Summer Heat GIF by LINE FRIENDS

Problem is, this just doesn't bear out statistically.

Hollands averages 3.1 tackles a game (compared to Cotts, who averages 1.7 tackles a game) and a single possession more, as well as more goal assists and a better disposal efficiency. He also averages almost half a tackle more inside forward 50; it mightn't sound like much, but Cotts averages below a tackle a game inside 50 where Ollie lays at least one a match.

Tackles inside 50 being how we generate an awful lot of scores.

I get the drive to include Cotts. I've been a huge fan of his and would love to see him back in, but right now his position - and Martins - is being held by a player with superior output. He's not as good a wing as Ollie, Fantasia's just kicked 4 and Fog 3, and he's not taking Williams spot.
Tackles aren’t tackles!

What constitutes a tackle is pretty loose from what I can see - at this stage Ollie struggles to ground players without them wheeling and handing the ball off.

He’s also hanging off the contest a bit - no stats support that - but watch the vision.

The play often blows past him when the ball needs to be halved, to stop the oppo breaking away.

I look at what Cowan or Boyd do - they’re adept at stopping the play , or 1/2’ing the ball. Cows effort on Bolton, a case in point.

It’s not a knock on Ollie’s endeavour - he will be brilliant for us over many years.He just needs to put more weight on & be physically stronger in the contest.

My fear is in finals teams will play through him and hurt us through his wing.

Tackles aren’t tackles!

What constitutes a tackle is pretty loose from what I can see - at this stage Ollie struggles to ground players without them wheeling and handing the ball off.
I'm sorry, but if you disagree with the tackle statistic I'm not sure what I can do for you. In either case, Cottrell lays less of them; he's not know for his pressure.
He’s also hanging off the contest a bit - no stats support that - but watch the vision.
He's an outside player holding his width. If the coaches weren't happy with him, he'd have been dropped weeks ago. He hasn't.
The play often blows past him when the ball needs to be halved, to stop the oppo breaking away.
He's still 20.

I'd prefer he were a bit harder to brush off, but the will is there.
I look at what Cowan or Boyd do - they’re adept at stopping the play , or 1/2’ing the ball. Cows effort on Bolton, a case in point.
Boyd is 25 and Cowan is a beast, and Hollands is not in competition with either of them for a spot.

Without wanting to excessively belabour the point obnoxiously, the fact that some players lay highly effective tackles from day dot and others don't should not really come as a shock.
It’s not a knock on Ollie’s endeavour - he will be brilliant for us over many years.He just needs to put more weight on & be physically stronger in the contest.

My fear is in finals teams will play through him and hurt us through his wing.
While I acknowledge your point here, how do you expect him to get better without continually throwing him in at it?

Binns would be his immediate competition for a wing role in the ones. Binns is averaging 3.6 tackles in the twos, with Ollie averaging 3.3 tackles in the ones; the size of AFL bodies is rather different to VFL. Binns is also getting plenty of the ball; one would think, given his body of work, if he were ready he'd have been given a shot.

Cotts had made half forward his own prior to his injury. He now has to wait for his opportunity to pinch his spot back there, to ensure that we don't lose out by messing with a winning formula.

This is not a bad thing.

I'm sorry, but if you disagree with the tackle statistic I'm not sure what I can do for you. In either case, Cottrell lays less of them; he's not know for his pressure.

He's an outside player holding his width. If the coaches weren't happy with him, he'd have been dropped weeks ago. He hasn't.

He's still 20.

I'd prefer he were a bit harder to brush off, but the will is there.

Boyd is 25 and Cowan is a beast, and Hollands is not in competition with either of them for a spot.

Without wanting to excessively belabour the point obnoxiously, the fact that some players lay highly effective tackles from day dot and others don't should not really come as a shock.

While I acknowledge your point here, how do you expect him to get better without continually throwing him in at it?

Binns would be his immediate competition for a wing role in the ones. Binns is averaging 3.6 tackles in the twos, with Ollie averaging 3.3 tackles in the ones; the size of AFL bodies is rather different to VFL. Binns is also getting plenty of the ball; one would think, given his body of work, if he were ready he'd have been given a shot.

Cotts had made half forward his own prior to his injury. He now has to wait for his opportunity to pinch his spot back there, to ensure that we don't lose out by messing with a winning formula.

This is not a bad thing.

Tackling a player who hands the ball off versus tackling a player who can’t are two distinctly different outcomes with the same recorded statistic.

We obviously need the second outcome - something Ollie will get better at over time as he gains strength.

We all want Ollie to be the best player he can be.

This is about this years premiership tilt. It’s not a slight on Ollie - it’s an empirical observation without any emotion.

We can’t afford to have anyone playing purely outside, as other finals aspirants will simply play the ball through his wing- knowing he can be muscled off the ball.

I know Ollie will get better - I think Cotters offers more right now….IMHO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I am most impressed about now is our connection with the forward line

I thought it was a weakness last year and early this year. In the pre season we were really working hard on it but it just didn’t click. Now I feel it finally is

Fogarty Owies and on the weekend Fantasia have been good but I feel opportunities were hard. Now our ball use inside fwd 50 is so much better. It’s not all about McKay & Charlie. It’s great to have options

Elijah has been awesome and will get better. Motlop & Martin have to earn their spots and that is great. On ability they are in but that now is not enough. Cuningham Cottrell Durdin the same

This side will now be picked on form and team play. For the first time in 30 years I can say that

It’s only July but we are finally a real chance. Injuries now the key. I feel Weitering is the one we can’t lose. TDK not far behind and I feel Cerra is important to our midfield mix.

Going to be a great 3 months

Go Blues

Back