Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s been 3 concerning “run ons” that we have conceded this year. Lions in the first and early 2nd, swans in the 2nd and third and gws today in the 2nd and third.

The common denominator? No Weitering/hampered Weitering.

I can’t see a reality where we challenge for a flag without Weiters. He is without a doubt the biggest piece of the puzzle and we look incredibly disorganised as a backline unit without his presence.

I know Owies being sub or not wouldn’t have made any difference tonight given how soundly beaten we were at centre bounces tonight.

But why would you want to leave your 3rd highest goal kicker sitting on the bench for 3 quarters. This rhetoric that it’s his turn to be sub is just dumb.

Instead we play an underdone Cottrell who manages 7 possessions in a full game compared to Owies 5 possessions in a quarter including that killer handball to Acres who kicked the goal.
Unfortunately Fantasia wasn’t going to be dropped after pulling out his only good game against the tigers which funnily enough was kickstarted by Owies by gifting him his first set shot goal. Putting a small forward as a sub is a huge risk for mine. It’s full game or nothing for Owies and imo he has done enough to be ahead of FantasIa who should be dropped and simply be depth.

Anyway, Motlop had a good game today so imagine he’ll get the call up vs the dogs

There’s been 3 concerning “run ons” that we have conceded this year. Lions in the first and early 2nd, swans in the 2nd and third and gws today in the 2nd and third.

I can’t see a reality where we challenge for a flag without Weiters. He is without a doubt the biggest piece of the puzzle and we look incredibly disorganised as a backline unit without his presence.
And the demons in the 3rd/4th

True, but it’s a defensive collective that the team uses. Starts at centre bounce and whilst Crippa can hold his head high, some had average mighys

When Marchbank has played, he has looked lost year.

But ignoring that let's say he came back in and performed I would suggest no chance he would be fit for the remainder of the season and finals so would be pointless.

Agree with Marchy when he’s played this year but he’s actually had a block of vfl games this time.

Also he did play most of the last couple of months last year.

I ran the random orbital sander over my orbitals to wash away the 2nd/3rd quarters and am feeling positive :)

Cuningham and Motlop in next week.
Cottrell the sub. His match fitness needs time.

Our defence at ground level was disgraceful.
Our lack of intensity through all of hbf to hff area cost us the game.
Once again we get smashed by a quick midfield.
Boyd on Green was woeful, and Cincotta had a shocker, so why wasn't something changed?

Charlie couldn't get a kick in a stampede tonight and Weitering was limited with injury, so why not try Charlie in defence?

Slippery night, so if Charlie played defence then someone like Owies plays from the square to create a mismatch on speed.

What really pissed me off was the lack of defensive run from our mids on a night where Weitering needed a hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agree and like your post except this part.

We are second on 44 points. Two below us are on 42, the two below them are on 40.. we are one win ahead of 6th place. Not sure that is comfortable.

We were comfortable until we lost….could be the reality check we need.

We have come off a soft kills the last 2 games…Perhaps we drank some bath water at qtr time then the injuries came and the momentum shifted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think Cotters’ inclusion was the reason we lost - soundly beaten across the ground in the middle two qtrs.

I hope we learn we can’t always “play our way”.

Sometimes you have to adapt , slowing the game down into kick/mark for a while in the 2nd to take the heat off the ball would have been good to see.

The effort in the last showed something.
Not suggesting it did and for the record I think he’s a vital member of the afl team. My question related more to our thinking in bringing someone who has been out of action for so long a week after cerra. Did we think we’d get over the giants regardless of our inclusions/exclusions (particularly after their outs)? Was it hubris?

Embarrassing to lose that after being 40 points up. Match committee truly baffling bringing Cottrell straight back in, especially when leaving Ollie Hollands in, whose been stinking it up for weeks
The Ollie thing is doing my head in. Like the kid and he’ll get there but the last 2 months he’s been a big liability and out of his depth due to his lack of strength that impacts his ability to tackle, take contact without impacting his composure. He realises it so tries to dispose to quickly before it comes.

Not suggesting it did and for the record I think he’s a vital member of the afl team. My question related more to our thinking in bringing someone who has been out of action for so long a week after cerra. Did we think we’d get over the giants regardless of our inclusions/exclusions (particularly after their outs)? Was it hubris?
No they probably thought we needed more run in the midfield - taking Hewett out and adding Cotters part of the fix.

hubris or not it had little baring on the game.

Players must have read this forum pre game. 8+ goal win incoming. Opportunity to 'rest' players... didn't respect a team from last years prelim..

"Statement game" indeed.

Bulldogs next week. Playing good footy. Hopefully tonights reality check keeps them humble and brings back the hunger.
Dogs have lost 2 (Naughton the big one) due to concussion they might think it’ll be a romp again.

The criticism of Ollie Hollands is warranted. At the moment, his game lacks tricks other than endurance. He lacks strength in the contest, poor disposal and gets caught with the ball
Ollie tries hard…

Looks to have poor peripheral vision, each time he gets caught, looks like he didn’t know anyone was there…

Not sure continuing playing him whilst teams are exploiting his lack of strength and rag dolling him at each contest, is the greatest development for him…

If Marchbank played well in the reserves I hope he gets another shot next week, we miss his intercept marking.
Please bring Motlop and Hewett in. Maybe even Cunners

Think Ollie and Fantasia should be given a break
It’s great we have some in the 2s showing some form & putting pressure on places.

Hearing Motlop & Cunners had a good day is great :)

Back