Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

We had a red hot run no team in the comp including Sydney keeps that up.
We have gone from the hunters to the hunted that’s a good thing we need to embrace it and tweak some plays that have been exploited.
There was a period in the last 10 minutes of the third where I said we lost it I new we would run over them but needed to be within 5 goals not 7
They where top 4 round 6 there a very good team but so are we
We played a bit Hollywood in the second
I actually thought of our run Dogies would be toughest but after today let’s see.
Not scared of playing them at home in front of 80 passionate Blues supporters
I felt we experimented with selection and lessons will be learned

We went away from our DNA tonight - contest and pressure. Played like it would just happen for us. Cripps and McKay our only real winners on the night. Time to get back to basics.
Credit to the opposition. They setup with some real speed around the ball and limited TdK’s athleticism.
Destroyed us in the clearances.

Definitely need to freshen up the team a bit. We supposedly have the depth to drop players who aren't performing so let's show that.

Ollie needs to go back to the 2's. I love the courage and effort of the kid but his touch is fumble central when the balls on the ground or he's under pressure.

It ruins all his good work because 9 times out of 10, it will result in an advantage to the opposition. He will get there, he's young and learning and has a great career ahead of him.

Motlop, Hewitt (disappointed he was dropped and think it affected us), and potentially Cunningham back in.

I'd drop Kemp if his form over the last few weeks warranted it but I think he just got destroyed today by a very good forward and Weitering's injuries hampered him, let's move on.

I'm also not sold on Marchbank. I think we gave to many intercept backman and no really lockdown key defenders which is why Weitering getting injured impacts us so much

Cerra might be a tad overrated.

Clearly has nice attributes but has played about a dozen good games (if that) for us since joining.

A little too laconic, I’d almost prefer Hewett.
Can’t disagree with the Cerra statement but can’t agree with Hewett. We need pace through the middle and not the opposite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a lot of concerning efforts from players, but Charlie seriously needs a rocket. His efforts just aren't good enough. We get a couple of highlights from him per game, but his consistency of effort just isn't there.

Clearly has nice attributes but has played about a dozen good games (if that) for us since joining.

Cerra was amongst our best last week - missed a lot of footy this year. Will come good and think he is a lock in this team with his ability to spread from stoppage

General thoughts...
  • Team has had a tough draw and have done us proud with huge effort over consecutive weeks
  • The first qtr def felt like the Sydney qtr. I was still worried and that's how it showed
  • Just a game they were not up for with the required amount of intense pressure - so we lost
Specific thoughts...
  • Going back further in the season when we were awful was when the midfield / fwds didnt do their job to the letter meaning the defenders were isolated. In these cases calamity reigns supreme and the one on one losses come to the fore. Kemp for 3 qtrs the prime example. The last 5 weeks covers up a little bit of an issue here but i guess you cant have everything. In finals, i expect the pressure will be on so i cross my fingers with Kemp/Mcgovern defensively in the finals series.
  • TDK impressive for a qtr, sore and then monstered. It is what it is. If he does drop away from injury or effort that can hurt us a lot. A long way off hitouts, even early. I think just one key final where he disappears will almost mean a game in jeopardy. I'm ok with the risk. He is a monitor for me and he was probably sore form that hit. I have faith just has to be mentioned.
  • Everything about our side looking good and not looking shit is about the pressure ACROSS all players on the field. We can look shit without it. Given that, we just have to expect we cant keep doing that EVERY single week. It just asks too much.
  • So a loss. Tough breaks, we probably have another loss like this in us because of the amount of matches left.
Not enough that sets us apart to win all these games is the truth bomb. The way we win costs us physically and mentally.

We are right in it for finals thought. A 1 in 4 chance at a guess.

Hewett is slow. That is our dilemma. One of Hewitt Kennedy or Carroll to support Cripps.

Tonight pace killed us. It’s our Achilles Heel. Walsh tagged again made it hard

Charlie rolled an ankle during the warm up.

This was why he wasn't as mobile as he usually is.
To be honest, he hasn’t used his mobility all season.
His 1wood seems to be stand and wrestle, and kick a few cheapies out the back.
He needs to get on his bike!

We had a lot of concerning efforts from players, but Charlie seriously needs a rocket. His efforts just aren't good enough. We get a couple of highlights from him per game, but his consistency of effort just isn't there.

He really should be at minimum a 3 goal a game 15+ possessions player, at a MINIMUM.

He’s fast, he’s strong, has a fantastic leap and tank, yet everytime the ball goes near him someone is on him or nearby. He has to get better at making space for himself or at least running his opponents into the ground. Frustrating, special thing that Charlie is.

Hewett is slow. That is our dilemma. One of Hewitt Kennedy or Carroll to support Cripps.

Tonight pace killed us. It’s our Achilles Heel. Walsh tagged again made it hard
Need to bring back Cunners and Motlop. Playing Cottrell was a disaster.

Back