Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of things went wrong tonight.

Despite our dominance in the first, we were unable to get any pressure around the footy inside 50. We were scoring on the back of centre clearance dominance.

Once the Giants got on top in that area, we got absolutely spanked with our inability to put any pressure and maintain any territory when we did get it inside 50. Giants had the outnumber and were able to get it clear with ease. Essential to our game and we couldn't get it at all.

2 inside 50 tackles to 11 said it all at half time. Another poster mentioned it didn't look like a Carlton game, and that, alongside clearance win, is the cornerstone of our game. We turned it around in the last but too little, too late.

As poor as Curnow was for 3 quarters, he did manage to get it to ground most times, but the opposition just waltzed it away with ease. On Curnow, he has zero closing speed out there. Not sure if injured but looks so slow in a straight line.

Disappointed with the decision to play Cottrell and Fantasia in the same side. Clear that the MC didn't want to drop Fantasia on the back of 4 goals. The hard/correct call would have been to either bring Cottrell back through the teams, or drop Fantasia due to team balance.

Briggs got well on top in the run by not allowing TDK to get out the front of contest. Did it very questionably at times, not bothering to contest the footy at all. I'd be giving AFL House a ring and enquiring about a few.

Kemp just couldn't go with Hogan. Some very poor efforts, but at the same time he's undersized against a very smart footballer. Would have liked us to try a different matchup, he was demoralised by the end of it.

All that said, not too worried with the result. Just goes to show how quickly we fall away if we don't bring a high level of contest and pressure. Voss reaffirms the message, and we get the chance to go again, still sitting fairly comfortably in second spot. We know our identity, and it's clear what happens when we stray from that.

It was utterly ridiculous to keep playing Curnow deep when Buckley was destroying him in one-on-ones. McKay kicked our first three goals, already making defenders nervous, perfect opportunity to just plonk McKay in the square and force Curnow to work up the ground.

Lo and behold when Curnow actually went roaming in the final 10 minutes of the game he looked dangerous and set up a couple of goals.

A really obvious lever to pull there, have no idea why we didn't do it.
Charlie has nauseating aerobic capacity, I agree with you completely

Let him roam, McKay is too big and strong and is just as capable of taking marks as Charlie. Sure, McKay isn’t anywhere near as mercurial or clean when the ball hits the deck but he is very effective nonetheless

Gotta have the ability to do something different with Charles, way too good to be beaten like he was today

Kemp was completely out gunned and thought changing the match up was on the cards but didn’t happen.

Cottrell is a favourite but should have played in the 2’s.

Fantasia should have been sub bit Owies.

Pitto should have played with TDK resting forward at times, rucking Cripps and Kennedy and McKay is being too cute.

Charlie should have moved up the ground and Williams should have played from the goal square.

So essentially there were lots of mistakes and tactical errors which when combined with a lack of intensity resulted in getting completely out played for half the game.

I find our lack of grit interstate to be weird.

It’s always talked up as being hard to win interstate, coaches, players are always saying it but if we can’t get in the right frame of mind then we will always struggle.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That is the calmest lost I have ever watched.
A/ ya can’t win ‘em all.
B/ first quarter was electric
C/ an opposition whose season was on the line at qtr time and they attacked us like it was their last.

Good job boys. Fought it out.

Move on.

It was exactly the same with Adelaide earlier this year.

The writing was on the wall. Giants were always winning this.

Better hope the media don't blow too much wind up the dogs' back during the week.

Easy to say in hindsight but for mine the two outlier 'repeat' selections from the MC have been Fantasia and O Hollands. Yes Fantasia was 'building' okay but he probably didn't deserve to even be in the side when he kicked the four goals, and was utterly putrid again tonight.

Hollands has been an obvious weak link, never more so than tonight proceeding to deliver one of the worst games you would ever see.

We can add Cottrell to this mix now, who I am a huge fan of, but should not be picked next week based on what he just did.
Cuners to replace Ollie on the wing next week must be seriously considered. Not ideal, but best option we have.

Last edited:
Not the end of the world

Giants season on the line - had to win are a good side.

Blues off and probably drinking their own bath water after the first quarter but did a loss.

Showed we can score quickly against the best sides which is a good sign.

Do we think we could beat GWS in a final - YES !

Preserved our percentage on a bad night eg Dons lost to Cats by 45.

You don’t lose - you learn.

Just come out and massacre the Bulldogs next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapat
Unless we're planning a draw dons % means ****ing nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lost Weitering to a bad cork against these guys in Round 6 as well... and we were behind on the scoreboard when that happened too. How did we keep Jesse Hogan quiet while we rolled over the top of them? Well... it was Lewis Young.

Nights like tonight I wonder if he should be the sub on a regular basis. We don't seem to go for impact players in that role anyway, and being able to introduce him into the game would enable us to shuffle the magnets more effectively should we lose one of Weitering, De Koning, Curnow or McKay to injury.

I wish it wasn't so hard to pick Young with Weitering there. But it feels like we need to do something - Kemp was overmatched tonight, without pressure upfield. McGovern can't do it. I don't think Marchbank fixes this.

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

we played poorly, lost by 2 goals, away from home, against a team most had as premiership favourites not long ago…

TDK went from dominant to dormant after qtr time. Briggs changed his approach and we then started to lose clearances. The giants then used their leg speed on the outside to chop us up.

Way too many passengers tonight. I could name them but wont. But our pressure around the ball was not good enough and we let too many easy inside 50s or paniced and turned it over. Credit to the Giants, they rode their luck with fast movement and some unbelievably favourable umpriring calls.

Hogan too good for Kemp, who made some critical errors. Overall our defence let too many goals in. Surprised we didnt move Charlie back when they had their run on and Weitering was missing.

We still scored enough, mainly through Crippa's brilliance (+100) but this time we lose. Thought owies was good when he came on.

Seriously? Did you watch the game. Unlike some others, busted a gut and ran himself dead and was involved for 4 quarter.
His attitude has always been excellent. But he is not ready. He fumbles the ball and loses a lot of contests, especially ground ball gets. He probably still needs another 2 years.

Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Back