Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It sounds like a weird thing to say, but I think things may have gone better for us if GWS had come out of the blocks in Q1 firing on all cylinders. Then we would have known what kind of a day we were in for.

They started very slowly, and allowed us to get a big lead and probably think we were in for an easy day.

Then they come out in Q2/3 with massive intensity, and I thought we had settled into complacency and just couldn't adjust our attitude and intensity to match them.

Also I honestly love Charlie but he is a non event once the ball hits the deck it’s more than 3 feet away from him. I get he isn’t there to be a pressure forward and he’s brilliant. But when we need to fight tooth and nail it can be frustrating to watch.

Anyway far from the end of the world. Just a disappointing night when we could have really solidified a top two spot

Not terribly concerned, but not assured by this game either

First quarter was incredible, 2nd and 3rd terrible and 4th was great.

Their two quarters beat ours, why? We lacked detail and we lacked effort. So many goals we conceded were because we didn’t put a fist through the footy in a Hogan contest, or because we tackled someone high, or simply because we didn’t have TDK on the goal line contesting the footy as it went through

If we tidied up the goal line stuff alone we concede probably 2-3 less, likely win it

Probably the loss we needed but it’d be better to have won and known where we stand - this has just raised a few question marks for mine

Putrid coaching and selection performance. Cottrell should not have played. Hollande should have been dropped. Hewett >> Cerra. I’ve said this before, Cerra doesn’t add much to our side. Making Owies sub? Seriously.

Cincotta not going to Whitfield was baffling. Curnow is surely injured?

Lots of question marks and a huge opportunity missed to solidify top 4. Reminds me of the Adelaide game.

A poor performance but this was always a potential banana skin for us.

GWS are no slouches after all. They probably should've been in the grand final last year as well.

We"re still in a good place overall. Hopefully we'll get the show back on the road against the Bulldogs next week.

I don’t think that was a “giant step backwards”.

We lose our best player for 20 minutes. It throws out our defence and the Giants start winning centre clearances at the same time. Huge turnaround in that period. But we manage to kick 5 goals to 1 in the last quarter and get within a couple of errors of saving it. I’m not looking for any bridges to leap from after that game. The Giants are a better side than their ladder position suggests and they were at home.

What it does say is that we need to strategise for when Weiters is absent, because when he’s gone, our defence goes to water.

Reality check. Next.

It's good to have you back Jim

I thought we got spanked in the middle

Yup.

Haven’t looked at the numbers, but we got nothing out of Cerra & Walsh.

They had zero impact, & apart from Cripps, we got smashed in the middle.

Would prefer to see Kennedy get more time in there too.

Is it time we talked about Charlie? His individual brilliance is keeping him in front of the coleman but the talking point of "we haven't even seen him get off the chain yet!" has now ventured into "why hasn't he gotten off the chain yet?" We're in the backend of the season and he's still puttering along in 3rd gear with no threat of getting out of it. To be blunt, some of his efforts look ordinary and with a different number on his back would be called out more harshly.

With a 2 goal margin, the Hogan/Kemp match-up being left as long as it did ended up being the difference.
He rolled his ankle in the warm up.

Shouldn't hurt our confidence since we finished well and our game came back. It should shake us out of our lethargy.

Plus, Brisbane winning tomorrow will see Pies out of the 8. Small mercies and all that.
We should’ve come out fired up after half time after giving away that first quarter lead, but we didn’t. GWS kicked 7 goals to our paltry 1 goal in the 3rd quarter and gave us a football lesson.

Raises a few question marks about our players being able to respond when the going gets tough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does Charlie persist with standing and trying to out wrestle his opponent?
He’s been doing it all year.
His biggest weapon is his athleticism, yet he doesn’t use it.
Is he injured?

I’d get him to sit down and watch some Waterman tapes.
That guy knows how to utilise his assets.

It was utterly ridiculous to keep playing Curnow deep when Buckley was destroying him in one-on-ones. McKay kicked our first three goals, already making defenders nervous, perfect opportunity to just plonk McKay in the square and force Curnow to work up the ground.

Lo and behold when Curnow actually went roaming in the final 10 minutes of the game he looked dangerous and set up a couple of goals.

A really obvious lever to pull there, have no idea why we didn't do it.

We’ve shat the bed a couple of times now when Weiters has gone off injured. Both losses. Surely we need to have a solid plan b for when this happens.
It is surely a huge concern for finals. Everyone can see how we fall apart when he gets injured. All it takes is someone to issue a corky at earliest convenience and our balloon deflates. Very scary.

We need to get on it.
Bad luck that TDK had an issue too.
That double hit seemed to bring us undone and we didn't recover until it was too late.

Got ahead of ourselves, I think. Quarter time, we thought it was just going to happen.

I didn't think Q2 was too bad, your opposition is allowed to play well, ad I thought we held up OK under a torrent of ball, at least forced Hogan to take really good marks.

But to come out like that after half-time, with the challenge already well and truly laid down, that was dreadful. Made worse by GWS improving their efficiency with ball in hand... then we really got what we deserved.

Cripps was outstanding - he gets a lot of plaudits when we win, but tonight was as good a game as he has played all year. When the chips were down, he stood up and led us from the front, at clearance, in the ruck, absolutely everywhere. If a few more had gone with him, it might have been a bit tighter in the finish.

Honourable mentions to a couple of others: Kennedy and McKay good returns and reward for effort. Sympathy for Kemp, who was exposed by our lack of pressure in the middle of the ground. Ollie Hollands was one who kept cracking in, while standards dropped around him. I liked his game, because he works just as hard without the ball.

As I said before the game: Cincottrell is one player, not two.

It will interesting to watch against those giants in the dogs team next week.
1. The on ball brigade got absolutely smashed and the team lost the ground ball and clearance game for extended periods - Hewett being dropped was a real head scratcher for me - Cripps and has to mongrel uop against a that type of tag as well - better to cop a few frees early than allow an extended shut down Walsh and Cerra were both off their games and teh number of ground ball losses due to fumnbles and bumbles from blokes that might get to contests but lose every contest ( cough Ollie Wines cough) was weird and almost laughable.

2. The way they were able to catch up that Q1 lead when Weitering was off - underlines the need for a 2nd KPD player.

I thought we ha teh 4 points before the game and certainly after Q1 - but Weitering inured and off - doesn't excuse the midfield collapse.

Onwards and upwards next week we can finish off the Doggies finals aspirations.

Never make Owies sub again.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

With Cottrell in, Fantasia was the clear choice for sub. They have Fantasia playing a similar role to Cotts.

Owies didn't get a chance to do a lot, but he's a clear firestarter for our club and hits the scoreboard when things are going against us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Back