Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The ruck rules one is confusing, I’ve seen a few players really push the boundaries against TDK, Goldy being another, with things like that i get frustrated more with Tom and our coaches who dont know how to push the limits of what’s allowed. I thought it was disappointing that Tom just kept trying the same thing against Briggs even though he was getting smashed.
Jeff White provided good analysis on Twitter( sorry too much of a luddite to post a link) .

Briggs was setting up on the line adjacent the little circle, while TDK was starting at the back of the circle. This allowed Briggs to take about 3 steps forward, past the ball and blocks his run. TDK needed to set up directly opposite to get a run at the ball. It is complicated by where the umpire wants to approach from, but seems valid advice

Pretty sure they changed the rule to allow rucks to go past the ball to block rucks jumping which was a mistake and make for rucks grappling at CC's.

Jeff White provided good analysis on Twitter( sorry too much of a luddite to post a link) .

Briggs was setting up on the line adjacent the little circle, while TDK was starting at the back of the circle. This allowed Briggs to take about 3 steps forward, past the ball and blocks his run. TDK needed to set up directly opposite to get a run at the ball. It is complicated by where the umpire wants to approach from, but seems valid advice

Pretty sure they changed the rule to allow rucks to go past the ball to block rucks jumping which was a mistake and make for rucks grappling at CC's.

Here you go ...

Here you go ...

Interesting watching that, centre square ball ups seem to be officiated a bit differently from those around ground.

ie. in quite a few of those instances, Briggs isn't even looking at the ball, just runs straight to TDK and pushes him out. Would expect to see them called as blocking if it was a stoppage elsewhere on the ground?

Ruck frees are genuine chook lotto these days though so who knows lol

Interesting watching that, centre square ball ups seem to be officiated a bit differently from those around ground.

ie. in quite a few of those instances, Briggs isn't even looking at the ball, just runs straight to TDK and pushes him out. Would expect to see them called as blocking if it was a stoppage elsewhere on the ground?

Ruck frees are genuine chook lotto these days though so who knows lol
The inconsistencies in umpiring absolutely on display. More than half of those contests had blocking infringements. Yet when Pitto takes an assertive position, he is penalised more often than not.

Re Jeff white advice - seems pretty straight forward

So much so that tdk should have been able to work that out

Or at least our ruck coach should have been able provide the advice

He could have stood right next to him and got his hands dirty, he played right in to Briggs hands, where was Kurtz at 1/2 time or 3/4 time telling him to do something different?

TDK had to give out some punishment for Briggs - it didn't happen and the mids weren't smart enough to counter the tap losses - this isn't the first time CBB have been lost badly. Who knows how constrined TDK was anyway I saw him not even try in some contests around the ground he was struggling at times. Came good in 4th quarter though some awesome ground ball and defensive efforts.

TDK had to give out some punishment for Briggs - it didn't happen and the mids weren't smart enough to counter the tap losses - this isn't the first time CBB have been lost badly. Who knows how constrined TDK was anyway I saw him not even try in some contests around the ground he was struggling at times. Came good in 4th quarter though some awesome ground ball and defensive efforts.
JaB do you think TDK as the solo ruck is best way to go.

He looked brilliant against the Cats, but if he gets a knock or is beaten like last Saturday, our centre clearance can fall apart.

The problem with Jeff White’s advice is that he wants TDK to run around and then towards Briggs - doesn’t work if the umpire is standing opposite Briggs as shown in below examples.

The white arrows show the umpire would be getting in TDKs way.

IMG_2353.png IMG_2354.png

Yup, I'd label it a 'disgrace' in the sense that they do not and should not meet Vossy's standards.

If Charlie doesn't mark the ball and it spills to an opposition player he either doesn't get up off the ground to chase or makes the most feeble attempt at doing so.

I wouldnt say 5-6 times in the last month. But this essentially happens at every single contest where Charlie doesn't straight up mark the ball.

This.

In addition to spilling most marks that went his way, he applies next to zero pressure when the oppo has the ball.

He had an absolute shocker and it just looked like his head wasnt in the game.

I hope he doesnt get a pass from the coaching team for that effort.

This.

In addition to spilling most marks that went his way, he applies next to zero pressure when the oppo has the ball.

He had an absolute shocker and it just looked like his head wasnt in the game.

I hope he doesnt get a pass from the coaching team for that effort.
He’s been ‘off’ for a few weeks now so maybe he is carrying an injury. If he is, I’d rather see us battle on without him (playing TDK Forward and Pitto in ruck), and get him right.

JaB do you think TDK as the solo ruck is best way to go.

He looked brilliant against the Cats, but if he gets a knock or is beaten like last Saturday, our centre clearance can fall apart.
I think it all depends on what the other team is throwing at you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy remedy was for TDK to go right at Briggs rather than waiting for the ball to drop and the umpire would have no choice but to pay a free for blocking
wanna say this.

need to see every game like the one he played against his brother moving forward.

I just hope hes done his homework on Tim and the Doggies ruck stock.

3 key changes that would’ve made a difference (among many others)
Weitering starts on/moved to Hogan
Freeing him up as the ‘interceptor’ at the expense of the team was wrong
CC needs to play a less selfish game
Let’s not pretend it’s a recent issue
TDK needed to put his big boy pants on
To be number 1 ruck means stepping up under adversity

The one redeeming feature of this game is we found a way not only to stem the tide but dominate play again in the last.

My hope is this tactic is instituted much earlier when a team controls the ball through handball & run.

Bring the freakin pressure, one on one.

Zone defence does not work if a team takes you on this way!

The problem with Jeff White’s advice is that he wants TDK to run around and then towards Briggs - doesn’t work if the umpire is standing opposite Briggs as shown in below examples.

The white arrows show the umpire would be getting in TDKs way.

View attachment 2044036View attachment 2044037
Agree to an extent but TDK needs to be coming in from at least the 45 degree. As a left hander it does changes his hit zones to be primarily back of the stoppage.

They used to play blocks if you went past the ball, now it is ok as long as you come back to touch the ball
... this is where my tinfoil hat comes out, because at every single occasion in which the AFL has changed the rules around the game, that change has been to our detriment.

We select Warnock, seeing the game going towards tap rucks of immense height and away from genuine footballers; the AFL brings in a series of free kicks around blocking the run of opposition rucks that no-one understands, but results in him (and Kreuzer) giving free kicks away. We embark on a rebuild and begin to select players for development based on power - because that's the way the game was headed prior to 2015 - and the AFL caps interchanges which wreaks havoc on the players we selected because we selected for attributes other than endurance, and then they ban runners to further kick on a young, leaderless team.

We shit enough to consider getting a priority pick; the AFL flirts with the notion of giving one to us - via the media - and they give us state league picks which were nothing to get us from our hole. We have some talented father sons coming through; they're about to change the criteria and the cost of FS picks, legitimately just before they come in.

We recruit Patrick Cripps, a monster contested mid capable of breaking tackles and winning his arms clear in the tackle, and the second - the very ****ing second - we come good, they change the interpretation of HTB to reduce the effectiveness of what he does.

If they're not doing it deliberately, one questions how differently doing it deliberately would look like.

... this is where my tinfoil hat comes out, because at every single occasion in which the AFL has changed the rules around the game, that change has been to our detriment.

We select Warnock, seeing the game going towards tap rucks of immense height and away from genuine footballers; the AFL brings in a series of free kicks around blocking the run of opposition rucks that no-one understands, but results in him (and Kreuzer) giving free kicks away. We embark on a rebuild and begin to select players for development based on power - because that's the way the game was headed prior to 2015 - and the AFL caps interchanges which wreaks havoc on the players we selected because we selected for attributes other than endurance, and then they ban runners to further kick on a young, leaderless team.

We shit enough to consider getting a priority pick; the AFL flirts with the notion of giving one to us - via the media - and they give us state league picks which were nothing to get us from our hole. We have some talented father sons coming through; they're about to change the criteria and the cost of FS picks, legitimately just before they come in.

We recruit Patrick Cripps, a monster contested mid capable of breaking tackles and winning his arms clear in the tackle, and the second - the very ****ing second - we come good, they change the interpretation of HTB to reduce the effectiveness of what he does.

If they're not doing it deliberately, one questions how differently doing it deliberately would look like.
While I don't believe this to be true, you left out banning the 3rd man up rule which Cripps was domination for throwins

PS I am not sure Lucas, Watson, Menzel, Boekhurst and Bootsma were power athletes.

The one redeeming feature of this game is we found a way not only to stem the tide but dominate play again in the last.

My hope is this tactic is instituted much earlier when a team controls the ball through handball & run.

Bring the freakin pressure, one on one.

Zone defence does not work if a team takes you on this way!
Exactly. Run & Gun rips 1 team apart if both teams continue to play loose, which is why I hate it as a stand-alone Gameplan.
Collingwood seem to be the only team that adopt this style and know when to slow things down and man up.

It does seem that the previous CEO and prize winning turd Andrew Demetriou has left a permanent anti-Carlton manifesto in the bottom drawer of the AFL’s CEO office doesn’t it.
;) ;)

Jeff White knows his shit, but if Briggs is going to get between TDK and the ball...

... isn't that just a block, and a ruck infringement?

Of course it is.

They brought in the centre line after the 1979 prelim fiasco where Dempsey & Moore (who was too scared to run at the other ruck) stood & hugged each other at every centre bounce.

Grundy’s the same, won’t run at the other ruck.

Simple solution for the opposition ruck is to start at the back of the circle, build up momentum & run straight through him.

You are allowed to make contact at a centre bounce, that has never changed.

In my book, crossing the line after the ball is bounced is blocking the other rucks run at the ball.

Free kick EVERY time.

Exactly. Run & Gun rips 1 team apart if both teams continue to play loose, which is why I hate it as a stand-alone Gameplan.
Collingwood seem to be the only team that adopt this style and know when to slow things down and man up.
As soon as they start using run & gun handball we just need to adjust.

Back