Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 18 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Screams of arrogance.

I was convinced that Pitto was in because Charlie would be a late out. Mind boggling selection against English. One selection singlehandedly reduced our run, greatly diminished TDK's impact, and prevented McKay from getting involved at all in the second half (1 touch in a half of footy).

I'm a massive Cottrell fan, but was perplexed when he was brought in last week, and even more so that he was kept in this week. He's nowhere near form, where is selection integrity?

I'm not a huge Hewett fan, but our midfield was dominating prior to the Richmond game. We've replaced him with a struggling Cerra who looks slow and lacks desperation - why?

We are so easy to defend when either Saad or Gov are missing. Teams hem us in and force us down the line, then win it back at ground level with extra numbers. Happened against Pies, happened against Swans and again tonight.

I've been calling for Ollie to be dropped and Cottrell to be pushed to the wing because Ollie has been costing us in key moments, but at least Ollie has contributed.

I assumed Cotts was poor last week because he had a role he was being asked to play, but I can't defend this week. He needs to got back to the 2's. He isn't a player who can come straight back in a team after injury.

Quite a few players are out of form at the moment.

Credit to Cripps, Moo & Weitering. They at least had decent games.

Charlie, Cerra & to a lesser extent Walsh need to step up and find their form from last year because at the moment they are shadows of the players they were

We've given most teams a good look at beating us all year. Coughed up many leads. I've never been sure of any wins at all. We've won lots, but very few convincingly.
Any chance the match committee, coaches, players, do something to head off our 2nd qtr football sleep? Not worth planning for, just assume we run over the top?

We were very quick to change a winning team that had won by 10 goals back to back.

I'm not the type of supporter to have had us locked in to top 4, it's our year, 2nd best team etc. It's always been, we make finals, we're a chance. This loss doesn't change that. Our form might fluctuate, and we may not give ourselves the best chance.

There's a few things with the team that won't be able to fixed until off season. Hope for the best with what we have.

Fair enough.

I guess I’m more geared to thinking we’re always a 50/50 at best.
Its a tight comp for sure - ok losing last week in sydney although we went to sleep for 2 quarters

there really was no excuse losing tonight - almost a full list to select from and crippas 200th and 2nd position at stake

our players should have fought tooth and nail to win this one

Voss was quite sensitive about being questioned about the 2 rucks. Feels like that week off Dekoning had against the Tigers didn't do him any good. I hope he actually needed that week off, and it wasn't just a ploy to get a game into Pit.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Getting really hard to watch Ollie hollands…75% of his disposals were in the back half so basically 4 disposals in the front half…never pushes forward on the break because his too far back yet didn’t impact in the back half so many times…made poulter look like an elite winger…poulter 17 disposals 50% in each half and a goal…not to mention the dropped marks, missed tackles, getting caught holding the ball.

Any news on why cottrell was a late out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did we turn Rhylee West into Wayne Carey?

Thought Kemp went alright frankly.

The ball was going I50 so often in the first half, it was near embarrassing.

Next to no pressure on the ball carrier and how many times did we fumble or give the pill straight to them - Cerra big here...

It's on Voss.

1. Big (huge) mistake bringing Cerra/Cotters straight back in. Cotters is a mile off it, Cerra looking rather disinterested imo.
2. Two rucks - and against Tim English. Joke.
3. Persisting with O. Hollands - has played one ok game all season. At the moment, he's a liability.
4. Marchy - sorry buddy... just odd.
5. GH sub, then Owies, then Bam Bam...

Harry and TDK both play much better when TDK is the main man. Harry as back up...

We've even managed to destroy Walsh's form.

Quite a few instances of show boating again today too.

Big, big lack of intent, intensity and hunger for the ball today - the final margin flattered us.

Congrats to King Crippa, a few of his team mates should donate their salary today to a charity of Crippa's choice.

Believes his own hype I think
I don't know if I would be that harsh. He is incredibly out of form and looks so fustrated at the moment.

I think he is trying to force things and that's making it worse and those selfish shots at goal are highlighting that.

When he's in form we don't begrudge him those moments because 8/10 times he will score or create something

If I was Voss I'd be telling him to forget about the goals, try and help team mates instead. As a result he will get confidence in himself which will enable him to start scoring the goals he's trying to force

Absolute shocking performance....we should have been beaten by 5+ goals but somehow managed to be in the game deep into the final quarter. At the ground you could feel the groundswell when we kicked a few to get us within spitting distance - but then that flog umpire decided to bring the ball back when Owies had marked it 20 metres out which would have brought us to within a few kicks. Crippa missed from beyond the 50 and you could feel the air had been taken out of the balloon.

Either way, we didn't deserve the win.

And it's astonishing that we decide to bring in 3 underdone players over the past few weeks in Marchbank, Cottrell and Cerra, and not contemplate that it's going to have a negative impact? Especially when you have George at your disposal, and Cunners running around in the VFL who had 30 odd possessions last week. Cottrell was awful last week, yet gets a reprieve and was actually worse today. Crazy stuff.

And it's also as astonishing that the entire BF Carlton community think its a shithouse idea to play 2 ruckmen, yet the match committee think it's a wonderful idea - and it came back to bite them well and truly where the sun don't shine. If TDK wasn't 100% fit, then don't play him!!! Our midfield (apart from Crippa) got their pants pulled down today, yet we were left one short because of Zaccy going down and left with 2 ruckmen.

Newy had his worse game of the year, same with Boyd - Marchy can't keep his feet, Fog had a shocker, and Owies went missing again as per his modus operandi. Ollie I'm having a few doubts with - he's still young, but those bad traits he had at U18 level are still there now.

Anyhoo, we're still 2nd on the ladder hanging on by a thread. Our destiny is in our own hands.

And fwiw, if Ashton puts in a decent showing tomorrow, I'd consider giving him a run.

Rant over, time for a single malt to settle the nerves.

I HOPE this is true. It’s exactly what we look like out there. Exhausted. Playing the first quarter like we’ve played two quarters already. Heavy. Tired.

I’m going to choose to believe this so I can relax and sleep tonight and not be furious.

I don’t believe it’s true. I’m told we went away from this stuff last year (actually I know for a fact) and everything now is very individualised

Flat as a tack from the first bounce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope the talk about us being in a heavy training load is true...hopefully we will come out of it stronger starting next week.

It does seem to have merit when you consider almost our entire team have been off the last few weeks. So many guys down on form and our ferocious tackling and overlap run from the weeks before has disappeared.

Interesting presser too from Voss, very calm and almost had a 'we knew this could happen' air about it...hopefully that's regarding the training block.

I’d like us to go back to defending scores. We are leaking badly from stoppages. The balance is awful.
We have all year. It started getting better but was still bad and has crashed back horribly the last 2 weeks. It's a tactical thing. We are seeing teams play more players around stoppages happy to have a number down in their forwardline. It's working for teams with deeper midfields. Sydney did it. Gws and the dogs have done it. The general play stoppages are doing my head in. Opposition defensive side exits then forward or corridor handballs are always free. Our half forwards don't press up to pressure the back exit and we don't cover the exits. So other teams look fast when in fact it's just structure. No doubt it's 'integrity' in holding your depth or width but that's just giving too much space in between lines especially when teams are operating with a +1 in congestion. Which also means if we win it there's always going to be pressure on a release handball. Always. You're a number less.

The D50 stoppages are another issue altogether. Midfielders ball focused not playing goal side not moving etc. The d50 stoppages we actually don't concede a point or goal against are often won by players like Newman Cowan kemp or even weits. I know it's d50 but the midfield is just setting up wrong.

Rant over.

I hope the talk about us being in a heavy training load is true...hopefully we will come out of it stronger starting next week.

It does seem to have merit when you consider almost our entire team have been off the last few weeks. So many guys down on form and our ferocious tackling and overlap run from the weeks before has disappeared.

Interesting presser too from Voss, very calm and almost had a 'we knew this could happen' air about it...hopefully that's regarding the training block.
find this heavy training block excuse hard to believe...what are we ameuters?

surely they know how much load the players can handle during the season

This one gets me especially. We believe endurance is king and will overcome all, but you have to have some burst players that can tuck the ball under the arm and gap their opponents. We're adding two more players who will run all day, but lack pure pace in the draft this year. Everyone can see we are slow, except for those at the club. It has been 10 years of this now.

The issue is was there anyone available that was good enough and fitted this criteria?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Back