Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 18 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with dropping Hewett and then Kennedy as sub is Walsh Cerra have to do the heavy lifting and that is NOT their go.

Both Cerra & Walsh need to run. This is one area of selection I really struggled with
Yep instead of utilising Walsh and Cerra outside run and play, they’re spending time caught in congestion releasing handballs under pressure to less skilled players or worse still to the opposition.

Prefer Kennedy/Hewitt doing the inside work and feeding the likes of Walsh, Cerra and Elijah - ball movement would be quicker and less turnover imo.

We are an embarrassment and pathetic football club. If that's the kind of effort and performance we bring for someone who has carried this club through the dark times then they should all be ashamed.

None more so than Charlie Curnow, a greedy and selfish performance for a player who's had a pretty terrible year.

Voss and the match committee absolutely spanked once again. You can't play TDK and Pitt. Cottrell absolutely dog shite, worst on ground for a second week in a row. Superstars are guaranteed spots back after 8 weeks, not role players who can easily be replaced.

Truly disgusting performance. They had no backline, no Treloar and murdered us through the middle. Kennedy as the sub? No Hewitt. Clueless.
I don't know how we are trying to win with so many role-players. I began to worry when we started signing up so many of them early instead of waiting to see how they finished out the year. There's still too much faith in our 'star' players to get the job done.

Just got home from the game

Disappointed is an understatement. Second best all day, even in the first term. They were just wasteful

Don’t like saying this but very much lost at selection for mine. Haven’t checked any of the stats but from the eye test:
  • played 2 rucks (against a shit tap ruck in English… why), got no clearance dominance despite this
  • got absolutely smashed around the ball and particularly on the spread - I lost count of the amount of times the Dogs kicked off the ground or to space and outnumbered us immediately to the loose ball
  • after Williams went off, one genuine small forward in Owies. Fog hasn’t been doing what he’s in the team to do the last fortnight so little wonder the ball came out of our F50 with such ease

Our ability to exit D50 remains horrible. It’s the same thing every time until the last 10 minutes when we finally start taking some risk and yet the Dogs continually got out and into space - to my eye they also had better quality entries i50.

Cripps our best. Immense, nearly dragged us over the line himself
Charlie should have kicked 7 but at least he looked more involved than he has been for a month
H good first half and drifted out of it

Have to say, and I’m not trying to single him out as he’s not alone but I thought Boyd was horrific today. Didn’t defend well, shocking by foot

Looking as objectively as I can - the last 2 weeks we have played teams who can match us in the middle and who also have more outside run/pace than us. Both are tough matchups on paper but to lose both is really really disappointing and raises some concerns

Last point - this new way of adjudicating HTB is so ****ing wrong. Nearly ruins the spectacle on its own

The problem with dropping Hewett and then Kennedy as sub is Walsh Cerra have to do the heavy lifting and that is NOT their go.

Both Cerra & Walsh need to run. This is one area of selection I really struggled with
Great post 👍. We need to play to our strengths. This is contested brutal football. The last two weeks we've lost our identity trying to be someone we're not.

Last edited:
Not sure Hewett would have made 1 iota of difference TBH. He is no superstar, nor does he bring speed, which is why we got cut up on the outside. Solid player yes, but hardly a game changer. We lacked overall intent and application.

Just like last week against GWS ... too many non performers in the team.
Anyone who believes Carlton are serious contender for a Flag this season is a dreamer.
There are too many holes to fill ... and Carlton are in a form slump (Weiters, Crippa, Acres excluded)
Where were our small forwards to kick a few Goals? It was left to Harry and Charlie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

****ed around believing we could lose a few to tinker with this squad .that wasn’t the case … that’s on Voss .. when did 2 rucks work never …when did cottrell become an automatic selection , dude is average , Marchbank is shot and curnow is the most selfish player , pass the ball mate … 2 weeks in a row gws and dogs had heaps of injuries and we we re full tilt with 2nd on the line and we fumble the bag …too arrogant !!!

I still think we are a threat and can turn it around but some things that have happened in last 2 weeks need answers as I struggle to understand the logic

Above the shoulders.

They can all run, jump, kick, mark & handball.

Pressure must be applied & maintained.

This ain’t rocket surgery.

Yep instead of utilising Walsh and Cerra outside run and play, they’re spending time caught in congestion releasing handballs under pressure to less skilled players or worse still to the opposition.

Prefer Kennedy/Hewitt doing the inside work and feeding the likes of Walsh, Cerra and Elijah - ball movement would be quicker and less turnover imo.

Absolutely spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Back