Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 18 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Superstar our skipper, so bloody sorry that the one time your boys should have carried you, they failed you once again.

Also, how the **** is Newman 4 highest rated?

781eb6246dd4b446581e76d513656ea1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel the new htb interpretation has really exacerbated our lack of pace. Our mids look scared to be first to the ball because they always have arms around them before they even pick it up, which used to work when you could scrum it forward.
Selection was absolutely mind boggling. Dogs forced to go in with extra smalls and we decide to to go tall in order to completely get destroyed all over the ground outside of marking contests. This also put additional pressure on a makeshift backline.
I wasn't too worried about last week's loss, every team loses some games, but we are a real danger of destroying our players confidence, and if that is only guaranteed by arrogant selection then it's hard not to see that as tragic for all of our players who have bulldogged their way through the dark years to finally see chance at success.
Hats off to Crippa, a true champion and as I'm 32, he is by far the best blue i've watched, which includes Judd.
We might be lucky with a to be up game next week, but no team will let you get away with arrogant experiments, including the roos.
Will be a good test for us to understand the intelligence of our coaching and management.

I’m just so disappointed for Cripps. He carried the side again today as he has had to far too often over his career. The bloke is a legend. Some of his teammates need to have a good look at themselves. Also if nothing else hopefully today’s efforts settles the 2 rucks debate.

I don’t think the 2 straight losses is “throw the baby out with the bathwater” bad just yet but Kemp or Marchbank as the third back is starting to rear its head as a major problem. Neither can be trusted. I think it will be addressed in the offseason but the problem is it could cost us a flag this year.

Our coaches have so unnecessarily killed our momentum

Why the compulsion to bring Cerra and Cottrell straight back? They weren't ready and still aren't. Cottrell more so who is miles off it. There's no version of Cottrell being talented enough to warrant that treatment

And at the expense of Hewett? One of the hardest defensive runners in mid.

And then we decide on 2 rucks this week, wrong wrong wrong.

Word is we're in a block of heavy training load. Going to be all for nought because right now we've completely compromised our shot at a home final.

Absolutely should not have happened and this is just the typical Carlton bullshit I thought we had finally done away with.

Gee how much better did we look when TDK went solo ruck halfway through the last. I presumed they played Pitto because TDK was injured but he moved fine. Absolutely shocking selection.

Even more weird was starting Pitto in ruck at the start of the last. It’s almost like they couldn’t see we were getting killed on spread when he was rhere. Our mids are not quick and need the extra pressure TDK provides when he’s there.

Bewildering we let them have the extra through the middle of the ground. Real deer in the headlights game from Voss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bad loss and a few problems have started to arise with the playing group.

I would actually be happy for us to role the dice with Young for a couple of weeks to see if that gives us a different look behind the ball. Yes I know it hasn’t worked but the alternative isn’t much better.
Ollie and Cottrell need to go to the VFL but we imo don’t have replacements for them.

Luckily this season is as open as any we have seen before so we don’t need to be perfect just find something that will work.

Cripps is an absolute star

There will be a lot of discussion about selection and rightly so but I have said it all year, we are a SLOW side and teams have worked us out.

GWS last week and Bulldogs this week took the game on at every opportunity and we struggled to keep up. It causes mistakes and we lose our structure

IMO it's a major issue that we must address asap. When you have a side with Cripps Walsh TDK Weitering Charlie and McKay you can't beat anyone

Positive is, FINALS are generally very contested, hard games and that is our strength

Yep we are a slow side but not too much we can do about that in season. Makes it even more important to maximise playing to our strengths which is why taking Hewett out of a functioning midfield was a bizarre decision. He might be slow but he improves our chance at first use which we rely on given our lack of speed in the middle.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I said it in the game day thread, but if I was Hewett manager will be called asking for a trade. Regardless of this whole "positions" dream.. when you have a light-weight like Ollie getting a game, an underdone Cerra and Cotterel being picked over you.. when if you played most likely your whole game output with exceeded what those 3 are producing at the moment combined.

Absolute stinker.
I'd expect the axe swung after that one. Dogs wanted it more.
Our midfield has been an abomination the last 2 weeks.
Our undersized backline is getting exposed once teams lock onto Weitering.
2 rucks experiment has to go on ice now unless we get some serious injury worries.

VFL match will be interesting for selection....
Not writing us off but we need to bounce back next week.

I am furious.
I am sick of us watching flogs try to deliberately hurt Weitering and not giving it back to him.
Disgusted for Cripps. If you can't lift for his 200th then have a good look at yourselves.
Match selection committee give yourselves an uppercut.

Embarrassing not to get up for the skipper. He had to pay for the drinks at his own party because no-one around him was willing to put their hands in their pockets.

I’m not going to call players pathetic etc, but

Cotts isn’t up to it at the moment.

Marchy wasn’t exactly turning it on at VFL level.

Ollie needs to get confidence back at VFL.

Boyd’s form has gone backwards.

Newman has runs on the board, but that was one of his worst game in weeks… years.

And Cerra is also a step behind at the moment.

That’s 6 players who struggled. And that’s on top of Pitto struggling to do his job. [At least this game settled once and for all two ruck vs one ruck. When you’re getting pantsed by Tim English, you know the writing is on the wall].

Yeah, we probably did lose this at selection. I was hoping those days were over - but here we are.

Sorry Crippa. You deserved better.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Is almost add Walsh. I know he had 27 disposals but was essentially ineffectual. They were nothing possessions.
Boyd supposedly best kick at the club but butchered the ball all night.

Our coaches have so unnecessarily killed our momentum

Why the compulsion to bring Cerra and Cottrell straight back? They weren't ready and still aren't. Cottrell more so who is miles off it. There's no version of Cottrell being talented enough to warrant that treatment

And at the expense of Hewett? One of the hardest defensive runners in mid.

And then we decide on 2 rucks this week, wrong wrong wrong.

Word is we're in a block of heavy training load. Going to be all for nought because right now we've completely compromised our shot at a home final.

Absolutely should not have happened and this is just the typical Carlton bullshit I thought we had finally done away with.
We could get lucky with a Melbourne win tonight and still be second. Two losses in a row and second would be so lucky especially is we’ve shed a hard training block. But I doubt that’s happening.

I voted for
Cripps
EHollands
Weitering
Saad

The rest can get in the bin.

What the **** happened to Cerra. He’s barely a vfl player currently.
Cerra missed 7 weeks of footy after re-injuring a hammy. It takes time to build match fitness. What is more astonishing is the MC deciding to play Cotrell who missed 8 plus weeks without any match fitness a week later. No suprise results went against us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Back