Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 18 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Shattered for Crippa. Felt so bad for him when he was walking off. Charlie and Weits offered to chair him off but Cripps didn't want a bar of it. Clearly disappointed and deserves better.

Awesome leadership. Winning games comes before any individual milestone no matter the magnitude.

I don’t believe it’s true. I’m told we went away from this stuff last year (actually I know for a fact) and everything now is very individualised
It’s true that most players are on individualised programs.
Doesn’t mean that loads haven’t been added for many with a timeline in mind.
Is it good planning or arrogance? Hopefully the former.

This was a game to honour perhaps the best captain in Carlton history (will be argued), but probably the best player we have ever produced ourselves.

Thanks coaches for missing the honour, MC for poor picks and players for your effort. You all have so much to learn from Pat.

Patrick hold your head high. You are a true champion that plays team first in every aspect.

I truly hope you get the ultimate success you deserve and come back to coach us one day.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

Yeah, I had finally decided I trusted them, and we were on our way to a GF. Some stats have been looking quite dodgy for us of late, but I knew we had this ace up our sleeve, where we could out-pressure any side. This blind trust lasted maybe 2-3 weeks and I've lost it again. What I see is alarming.

I hadn't. I was beginning to doubt my pessimism though.

For 20 years we lose games when we are the favourite, it's not just this list or these coaches, it's a lack of ruthlessness or something cultural.

Cerra right now is really costing us. He isn't quick but isn't a physical presence. Isn't using the ball well.

Just seems lost out there.

Out of form after injury but a heck of player. He will turn it around

Plus, like Walsh he is better when he can play a role more suited to his ability

Last edited:
In both this game and the GWS one last week, we had a glorious opportunity to solidify and reinforce our position in the top two.

That opportunity has been blown and we now have the rest of the pack firmly breathing down our necks.

On the evidence of the last two games we won't be winning the flag unless there is some huge improvement.

All credit to the Bulldogs, but with all the changes to the team our own complacency and arrogance contributed a lot to our downfall.

In his defense - most gun forwards are and I want Charlie to have the confidence to take shots when the game is on the line. It’s what he is paid to do

He won’t kick as badly as 3.7 again for a long time. The stuff that concerns me more with him is the defensive side… or lackthereof
He takes a mark 50 out, slowly makes his way to take his kick, meanwhile his team mates bust their asses to find space 30 out on a better angle.

Curnow atleast run back and check for a better option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A dismal performance from so many angles. Crippa deserved so much better but in the end all he got was what he’s got all career - 21 other blokes looking at him to drag them over the line. Embarrassing.

Team selection is a farce over the past two weeks. There was no need for two rucks today. Pitto was ineffective and took away from TDK’s game. Marchy just doesn’t have it anymore unfortunately. Injuries have caught up with him. Ollie needs a spell in the twos. Cotts’ last two weeks have been horrifically bad. Time to swing the axe.

We’ve got a number of players all of a sudden out of touch - Charlie, Walsh, Cerra, Boyd, Kemp, etc.

Apart from Sydney, every team has performed in waves. We’re in a slump at the wrong time. Got to snap out of it quickly or we’ll throw away our best chance this year in over 20 years.

Didn’t understand Pittonet’s selection and still not convinced on playing 2 rucks.

And only 59% time on ground for Pitt (2nd lowest) does little to justify it and only accentuated the loss of an extra runner.

But we were outplayed, out-pressured and out-run.

And still in 2nd 🙂 … footy gods smiling on us just a little.

I just don’t take losses well and I’d barely gotten over the GWS loss. Ffs.

The dogs brought the pressure and were quicker to react and cleaner with their efforts. Some terrible individual performance just hurt us too much. 2 weeks where we’ve had an opponent react quicker and do better with the chaotic side of the game via speed and slickness.

We all know Cerra can play good footy and so can Walsh - but the dogs just did pressure and the small things more cleanly - they were almost lucky how it went right for them compared to similar scenarios for us.

A very frustrating game and MC need to get our midfield to step up a level if there is another level they can go because this midfield now isn’t taking us to the GF.

Just got home from the game after a decent meal…(hard to enjoy after witnessing that effort but my steak was actually rather good)

So right from the first bounce you could see the balance was waaaay off. We were lucky not be 3 goals down after 15 minutes and somehow we managed to hit the scoreboard on turnover until the dogs shut that down.

Pitto and TKD…..Never again at Marvel, it was totally unnecessary and we looked extremely slow as a result

Ollie and Cotts….Never again either, pick one and play one (Cotts can be sub)

Defence…my God we are all at sea….Boyd has been living off that one champion data stat the entire season…he adds absolutely nothing to the side in the form he is in…(I would drop him before Ollie) Marchy thanks mate but your done

Midfield….Ok so teams have stopped our forward handball out of stoppage in the last 2 weeks but my God our centre square work is putrid.

Cerra and Walsh…..Never again to play together in the centre square….neither of them have a defensive bone in their bodies…(George Hewitt does tho.) Play Cerra as a high HFF or wing

Forward line…..Charlie is draining our mojo down there. 3.7 and all reasonably getable shots as well. His set shot routine has gone to shit

Fog….has had 2 poor games now and isn’t hitting the scoreboard nor is he providing the pressure required to lock the ball in. Smalls forwards in general have gone from a strength to a weakness in the space of 2 weeks

We need to go smaller and more mobile…1 ruck and H to chop out…bring Jack Martin back in as he plays taller than he is and takes the heat off the KPFs….Motts to take Williams spot for now

I’m absolutely gutted for the skipper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He takes a mark 50 out, slowly makes his way to take his kick, meanwhile his team mates bust their asses to find space 30 out on a better angle.

Curnow atleast run back and check for a better option
does that a fair a bit lately. should've passed to cripps at 3rd. needs to bring others in it too

For all our issues I thought the Bulldogs came out with a clear plan, effort and a executed it well and ati only beta us by 2 goals

Soapy were you at the ground…our defensive transition was a shambles…midfield hammered and forwards butchered set shots

Sydney would have beaten us by 80 points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got home from the game. And still pisses me off the more I think about it.

Cant believe Hewett has been out of the team the last 2 weeks.

Clean. Tackles. Racks up contested possessions and clearances.

Get him in to support Crippa.

Get Walsh more on the outside. We've seen what he can do when he's allowed to run and overlap.

Push Walsh out to a wing if need be. Could be the best wing in the league.

Surely we can't have the audacity to pick 2 rucks again next week

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Back