Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 18 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This! Instead of going into this game in self preservation mode - North will set themselves for their “Grand Final” as Carlton have gone back to “flaky” mode.

This will be the case for our remaining games, North have been close to taking a big scalp, they will come out all guns blazing.

Port Adelaide and Collingwood will fight tooth and nail to make the 8 as will Hawthorn who are probably the in form side of the comp.

Eagles in Perth with a new coach on a Sunday afternoon, this will be their GF to see where their players are at and then St Kilda will play their GF against us with the same purpose, both these teams will not be self preservation mode as they have nothing to lose.

So if anyone thinks we have an easy road home, we are kidding ourselves, oh yeah, they are should win games just like the last 2

This! Instead of going into this game in self preservation mode - North will set themselves for their “Grand Final” as Carlton have gone back to “flaky” mode.
Cant see us dropping this one ☺️

gws and dogs obviously worked out a way to beat us. Clarko is experienced enough to try and expose our weaknesses as much as possible - nothing new in this …what all coaches try and do.

However what Clarko wants and what his team is able to executes might not align.

This move has been good for Charlie and the team.

He gets involved in link up play and it gets him away from the wrestling matches with KPDs which is terrible viewing.

Coaches take too long to make these moves imo.
They sure do take too long identifying where Charlie’s advantage is at times….

He can exploit strength & size mis matches easier drifting or sprinting back inside F50 as opposed to being an isolated deep target all the time !!

Everyone knows where he is when isolated which not only helps opposition team defensive strategies on a less mobile target but also impacts our forward 50 connections because we just tend to bomb it on his head instead of lowering our eyes and actually deliberately trying to execute a kick to advantage to him or OTHER OPTIONS at times.

Thinking about our year to date we have only really looked like a top 2 team when TDK is tearing teams apart. First GWS game he kicked 3 and was the perfect 3rd tall ruck, his 4 game purple patch and the first quarter against GWS.

Need elite Tom back pronto.

They hit him hard in that game, he’s not ready for that repeat body contact week after week, another 12 months and he will be good to go…

Obvious thing was he got on the move where as more often than not Charlie wants to wrestle or worse he & Harry end up flying for the same ball.

Charlie looked much better late in the game when he got further up the ground, just needs to do the team thing as required and nail the regulation set shots.
^ 100% this. Charlie continually wrestling and refusing to lead into space - where he can use his natural spring (like Jarrad Waite) it does my head in. We have 2 power forwards, which is a massive luxury these days, yet we don't exploit teams defenses with them. It's got me stumped why not. It's hard to criticize your system when you are winning but we should be absolutely ripping teams apart with the firepower we have. Just having Charlie and Harry lead to opposite sides and opening up the center of the ground for our mids and and splitting OP defenses seems an option we hardly ever use. We'd rather bomb everything in and hope that our forwards out-mark 2 or 3 defenders. It's nuts.

I was more disappointed about the Bulldogs loss than i expected to be.

Looking over the stats, and it was as poor a showing from our second tier players as I can recall for some time. Our best wins this year has been our fringe players standing up, owies, fog, cincotta etc.

I had been a cotrell fan earlier this year, and I think he adds some mongrel. It just seems like the same player has not come back post injury. We can talk about Charlie not leading, or Harry not getting many shots in the second half, but if you said before the game we would get the score we did from them, you would prob be happy, and we needed to have an edge, desperation and hunger - it was missing the last two weeks and the bulldogs players brought effort that we didnt have.

Not having george was an error, having Pitt was an error. Its easy to sit back and say we should have done lots of things (crumbing forward anyone), but without the hunger of the lower level players and being able to get the ball, it makes it hard for the superstars to stand out.

(I felt bad for Cripps as well)

Cant see us dropping this one ☺️

gws and dogs obviously worked out a way to beat us. Clarko is experienced enough to try and expose our weaknesses as much as possible - nothing new in this …what all coaches try and do.

However what Clarko wants and what his team is able to executes might not align.
TBH if we dont switch on and our mids dont help out our defence more, I think we will get exposed again. Getting Weightman to help to negate Weiters was a pretty good move, and TBH I'm surprised other teams dont try to negate Weiters more often.
Think of the mental blow a loss to North would do to our Premiership hopes.

Our biggest issue in the last few weeks is not so much indiviual performances, it's more that we've lost cohesion. Maybe it's an imbalance caused by the reintegration of Cerra and Cotters, but our role players needs to lift and not leave it up to the usual suspects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches' Votes

9 -
Bailey Dale (WB)
9 - Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (WB)
6 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
4 -
Rhylee West (WB)
1 - Jacob Weitering (CARL)
1 -
Marcus Bontempelli (WB)

^ 100% this. Charlie continually wrestling and refusing to lead into space - where he can use his natural spring (like Jarrad Waite) it does my head in. We have 2 power forwards, which is a massive luxury these days, yet we don't exploit teams defenses with them. It's got me stumped why not. It's hard to criticize your system when you are winning but we should be absolutely ripping teams apart with the firepower we have. Just having Charlie and Harry lead to opposite sides and opening up the center of the ground for our mids and and splitting OP defenses seems an option we hardly ever use. We'd rather bomb everything in and hope that our forwards out-mark 2 or 3 defenders. It's nuts.
Yeah its improved this season, but still way too many instances of Harry and Charlie contesting the same ball (usually while in a flat footed wrestle with their respective opponents as you say).

We have a strong midfield, solid wings, strong rucks and the best tall forwards in the comp, yet we are 15th for points against and we concede the most points of any team in the comp from stoppage.

So our team which is a stoppage based beast, is the worst stoppage defensive team in the comp.

This is system and not players, last season we were strong defensively, this year we aren’t, it’s not a player issue.
Perhaps it's a strong offensive midfield but defensively weak. To me that is what I see.

I drove up north with the boys to see the GWS game; and then drove down south to the Bulldogs game. Both disappointing.

But here’s the thing. I feel a calmness, confidence and surety I haven’t in many years. A few adjustments are needed, for sure.

We’re in this to our necks, people. Stay the course.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's a strong offensive midfield but defensively weak. To me that is what I see.
I know its easy to find footage to suit an argument, but the footage they showed on, On the couch where we had most of our players set up on the attacking side of a stoppage and when the Dogs got possession were able to walk the ball out with no opposition, Buckley just highlighted that Acres should have been set up on the defensive side, filling the hole the Dogs were able to exit through, if we win the stoppage Acres would still be in a position to get in the chain.

It looked more like just a poor set up, rather than an effort or speed thing.

I didn’t watch the game as away in nature without any signal.

A blessing it seems.

On return I read the thread & expected to watch a horror show given the oratory coronaries.

I watched the reply tonight & it’s a long way from a terrible performance.

Did we make mistakes? yes

Did we take our chances? no

Did we select the right team? no

Did we play terribly? no

Should we have won? yes

I agree it was a dumb move not playing Hewy or Kennedy & playing 2 rucks.

Let’s hope they’ve learned that lesson!

Hewy & Kennedy in.

Pitto & Ollie out.

Play Cez on the wing - rotating Walsh mid.

Martin in for Willo.

Missing McGovern who covers Kemps weaknesses. Marchbank was OK early & will be better for the run.

It looks like MC are still searching for our most potent/balanced mix.

At least they’ve found what doesn’t work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Back