Preview 2024 Rd 19 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sunday 21st July 4:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further to my point about us not debuting players, here is the number of each clubs debutants this season.

Adelaide 4
Brisbane 3
Carlton 1
Collingwood 6
Essendon 1
Fremantle 4
Geelong 3
Gold Coast 4
GWS 2
Hawthorn 3
Melbourne 5
North Melbourne 5
Port Adelaide 2
Richmond 5
St Kilda 5
Sydney 2
West Coast 5
Western Bulldogs 4

Many of these have played multiple games. Essendon's only debutant has played 4 games so far.

We've had less than a quarter from one debutant. We have 9 players on our list yet to debut. I do wonder if we are expecting too many great games at VFL level to earn a debut, compared to some other clubs. Players need a taste.
Spot on. I’ve been saying we need an influx.

I’d definitely look to play Lord or Binns next week if they play well tomorrow. Competition for spots creates a better team, plus giving a few younger guys a taste can really be a good kick start to their career and get them hungry

Further to my point about us not debuting players, here is the number of each clubs debutants this season.

Adelaide 4
Brisbane 3
Carlton 1
Collingwood 6
Essendon 1
Fremantle 4
Geelong 3
Gold Coast 4
GWS 2
Hawthorn 3
Melbourne 5
North Melbourne 5
Port Adelaide 2
Richmond 5
St Kilda 5
Sydney 2
West Coast 5
Western Bulldogs 4

Many of these have played multiple games. Essendon's only debutant has played 4 games so far.

We've had less than a quarter from one debutant. We have 9 players on our list yet to debut. I do wonder if we are expecting too many great games at VFL level to earn a debut, compared to some other clubs. Players need a taste.
I watch most VFL games - Moir couldn't run out a quarter of AFl level football, unfortunately, can't see Binns getting a run over O Hollands or Cottrell - Wilson who is he going to replace exactly? Our VFL AFL listed players are pretty ordinary atm - the best of them is Carroll

Is Hewett named in the reserves tomorrow?

Yes

CARLTON
B:
S. Durdin (38), L. Young (55), L. Young (33)
HB: L. Prout (74), D. Akuei (41), R. Monahan (34)
C: G. Hewett (29), J. Binns (25), D. Cuningham (28)
HF: A. Moir (43), O. Fantasia (14), J. Motlop (3)
F: J. Martin (21), H. Lemmey (31), H. O'Keeffe (40)
R: A. Mirkov (45), C. Lord (36), J. Carroll (16)
INT: W. Hayes (59), N. Cahill (54), L. McMahon (52), W. White (77), O. Badr (72)*
EMG: A. Stevens (64), H. Gill (62), H. Ramshaw (51), Z. Maher (50), K. Ferronato (63), C. Verrell (71), L. Nelson (57), H. Nosiara (69)

IN: O. Fantasia, G. Hewett, J. Martin, H. O'Keeffe, L. Prout
OUT: C. Marchbank, M. Pittonet (AFL), B. Wilson (illness), Z. Maher, L. Nelson

I watch most VFL games - Moir couldn't run out a quarter of AFl level football, unfortunately, can't see Binns getting a run over O Hollands or Cottrell - Wilson who is he going to replace exactly? Our VFL AFL listed players are pretty ordinary atm - the best of them is Carroll

Our VFL team is terrible. Our VFL listed players aren't very good, so the rest of the team can't play well as a result. We've seen players lift at the next level, because they are the last man in at that level, not the ones expecting to lead a bunch of amateurs. If we can't find new players to get a taste of senior football, then delist them all and start again.

Wilson can replace Cottrell, or Ollie, or Fogarty, or Boyd as it stands. Right now, we have too many who are pretty comfortable.

Saad - Wieters - Kemp
Newman - Gov - Cinc
Ollie - Cripps - Acres
TDK - Walsh - Hewitt
EH - Curnow - Kennedy
Motts - McKay - Owies
Cowan - Cerra - Fog - Fantasia - Cunners

In Motts, Hewitt, Fantasia, Cunners Gov

Out Boyd, Pitto, Cotts Williams Marchy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Have to disagree. Moir really worries me as a selection. He is so far off it it isn’t funny

If he wasn’t a listed player he wouldn’t be getting VFL games

A lot of question marks on Austin's draft judgement so far then.

Hard to say this early but I have question marks over Lemmey Moir Ollie Binns and Wilson at this stage

O’Keefe I really like and the recruitment of Acres & Elijah have been a massive plus as have drafting of Boyd & Cincotta

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since Austin took over in 2020, we've had one selection in the top 30 odd....Motlop pick 27 and Moir pick 29, so thereabouts.

To be brutally honest, I'm not that convinced that any of them will become top line players with the exception of Cow. We've got a whole bunch of project players like Lemmey, Moir, Binns, O'Keefe, Akuei, Wilson, Mirkov, Monahan, M Carroll and Lord...with Duffy joining the crew in 2025. Durds has lost his mojo right now, and Motlop I question whether he really wants it. I also reckon Ollie at pick 10 was a stretch, but that was obviously a team selection on draft night.

And just going by history, statistically, there's a much greater than even chance that picks in the 30's and onward won't make it - so I'm more than just a little concerned with our youth. There's a fair chance that over half that lot won't even be on our list in 2 years time.

We’ve gone back to “flaky” - so instead of North going into this game in self preservation mode they’ll think there a chance and set themselves for their “Grand Final”.

Conversely they hopefully might think “ah ffs another top side on the rebound after 2 losses”

Spot on. I’ve been saying we need an influx.

I’d definitely look to play Lord or Binns next week if they play well tomorrow. Competition for spots creates a better team, plus giving a few younger guys a taste can really be a good kick start to their career and get them hungry
Lord yes. Binns is unfortunately just too small.

Expecting Cottrell to be playing bogey golf after missing 2 months was insane. Needs to be dropped.
Pitto was pretty much rucking to himself all night, this cant happen. Needs to be dropped.
Im pray to lord buddha that Zac is ok.

Team selection isn't my strength, but if Crippa's speech doesn't inspire the boys to step up against Norf, the club has more things to worry about than just finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back