Preview 2024 Rd 19 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sunday 21st July 4:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard that we were +15 for first possession at stoppages, but we kept fumbling and turning it over. They said that Cerra fumbled to the opposition 'about 8 times'.

Cerra let the oppo rip the ball out of his hands a few times. Not sure if he panicked at the holding the ball rule or what but it was a pretty poor outing from him. We won stoppages but our quality of breakaway compared to theres was poor.

Time to swing some changes. We backed a few in after the GWS game who didn’t lift for the dogs game so time to try a few others.

Hewett is a must. Would also play Cuningham after a solid month in the VFL. Ditto Motlop. Would also try S Durdin if Gov doesn’t come up.

Pitto has to come out of the side. We’re already slow without him and way too slow with him. Cottrell can’t play. Needs to find form in the VFL and earn his spot. O Hollands also well overdue for a spell. Marchy isn’t up to it at the moment unfortunately.

Need lifts from Walsh, Cerra, Charlie, Boyd, Kemp and realistically pretty much everyone apart from Crippa over the past two weeks.

Out: OHollands, Williams, Marchbank, Pitto, Cotterell
In: Hewett, Motlop, McGovern, Cuningham, Carroll

Cerra to the wing

Please don’t bring in Martin. He’s not ready.

Carroll as sub

This is basically returning to our pre losing run team.
I like those changes. But think they’ll give gov another week off. 5 day break into Port

Time to swing some changes. We backed a few in after the GWS game who didn’t lift for the dogs game so time to try a few others.

Hewett is a must. Would also play Cuningham after a solid month in the VFL. Ditto Motlop. Would also try S Durdin if Gov doesn’t come up.

Pitto has to come out of the side. We’re already slow without him and way too slow with him. Cottrell can’t play. Needs to find form in the VFL and earn his spot. O Hollands also well overdue for a spell. Marchy isn’t up to it at the moment unfortunately.

Need lifts from Walsh, Cerra, Charlie, Boyd, Kemp and realistically pretty much everyone apart from Crippa over the past two weeks.
Only 15 AFL listed players in the VFL so can't make more changes than that

Cottrell and Fogarty need to be kept as far away from the AFL side as possible. We carry too many poor footballers in our forward line. Losing Williams last week and Curnows poor form just added to that. We keep making excuses, they don't get the ball and don't score but apparently it's running patterns. Cottrell has no footy IQ and avoids contests and Fogarty is one of the worst kicks of all times and his team mates know this and avoid using him at all costs.

Our midfield is too slow and I have been saying this for years. But what can we do? We haven't been able to bring any oballers onto the list that address this issue.

If Voss plays two big forwards and two rucks again he needs a lobotomy. Fool me once... but fool me 5 times? Come on.

We were terrible last week at getting front and centre when we kicked the ball long. Should be obvious if you get front and centre to DeKoning, Curnow or McKay you will get into the play. They were great at this, we were absent every time these guys brought the ball to the front. Work rate and footy IQ just not there.

Newman Weitering Durdin
Saad Kemp Boyd
Acres Cripps O Hollands
Cuningham Curnow E Hollands
Motlop McKay Cerra
DeKoning Walsh Hewett
Cowan Owies Kennedy Cincotta
Carroll

IN:
Motlop - It's time, we need goal kicking power and talent and his 9 tackles in the VFL was really promising

Durdin - Here is your AFL career, been really good in the VFL at fullback. Lets see how he and Weitering team up.

Hewett - Hewett was actually playing well, he wasn't staring but his game was fine. I can see why we dropped him, but we haven't been better for it.

Cuningham - He defends as a forward, he is class when he gets it and he has the run and carry we need. Ready to come back in.

Carroll* - He's too good for VFL. Has a bit of leg speed and class.

OUT:
Williams - Seems to be injured which sucks, he was going nicely.

Marchbank - I'm a fan of Marchbank and he wasn't bad but I think it's Durdin who needs to be rewarded. I do believe Marchbank will get going if given time though.

Cottrell - I'm sick of hearing about running patterns. He's a spectator with no football IQ. We don't need players who just run up and down and don't get involved.

Fogarty - Same as Cottrell, problem is when he does get involved he can't kick.

Pittonet - Experiment is over, rarely works, puts too much pressure on our smaller brigade which at it's best, struggles with run.

Notes
Martin not ready for AFL yet.

If Voss things Fogarty and Cottrell are better forwards than any of Cerra, Cuningham or Motlop he has rocks in his head.

Cerra and E Hollands to play as forward/Mids. Time on the wing and on the ball. Cerra can play forward, I have NFI why we never use it.

Would pick Carroll ahead of Kennedy only that Kennedy rucks a little.

If McGovern is back then it's Cowan who goes out. Kemp plays a smaller role.

Last edited:
Heard that we were +15 for first possession at stoppages, but we kept fumbling and turning it over. They said that Cerra fumbled to the opposition 'about 8 times'.
Their pressure and closing speed was really good. Since the game was invented it's been a game of Skill level (ability to handle pressure) VS quality of pressure applied.

If you can't handle pressure that's ok, but you have to be able to match the pressure of the opposition. Perhaps we need some guys in the middle who are stronger around the shoulders and able to handle high level pressure taking more of that first possession.

Hewett is probably 2nd or third best mid at this. Kennedy and Cerra under hot pressure in close aren't terrific. Walsh is but hasn't got the size and strength. Cripps is elite. The rotation mids are rotation mids for a reason.

Tactically and selection wise we need to look at how we are operating in the middle.

Hitouts mean stuff all, as long as your mids handle and give good pressure and your ruck is good defensively. Two rucks was a real waste of time.

Collingwood won the flag because their closing speed, pressure and tackling pressure was better than any other side. These three things have been our undoing in every loss we have had in the last 3 years.

Boyd cost us 3 goals with his kicking out of D50 last night. Do we need to give him a spell? But who comes in? Hewett or Cerra to half back.
His kicking wasn't good but he was taking risks and his targets weren't fabulous.

Sometimes bad kicking is because you haven't much to kick to.

Agree with most posters, but not necessary with their take on the changes both in and out's.

Some members of the team are not performing, and it's time to make them accountable, not mollycoddle them until next week, because our last two weeks, when we could've cemented our top two position, we 'dropped the ball' and this time the lime maggots paid the free!!!!

Also time to park Pitto as TDK's understudy, or offer him up as a genuine first ruck to someone else, reckon either O'Keefe or Mirkov will make it.

Defenders: Weiters, Big Durd, Kemp, Saad, Newy, Boyd, Cowan

Midfield: TDK, Crippa, Walsh, Cera, George, Elijah H, Blacres, Bam Bam

Forwards: H, Charles, Mowies, Cinca, Fogarty(lucky Fantasia got inj), Jack M, Cotters (just)

Ins: Big D, Bam, George, Jack M, Jack C (sub)

Outs: Marchbank (gawn for good), Ollie (needs 5Kg's), Pitto (trade bait), Zachy (inj)

Boyd cost us 3 goals with his kicking out of D50 last night. Do we need to give him a spell? But who comes in? Hewett or Cerra to half back.

Thought he was ordinary last week and diabolically bad yesterday…...I just don’t see it with Boyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he was ordinary last week and diabolically bad yesterday…...I just don’t see it with Boyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Confidence looks shot. Not sure who we replace him with but he's one that could do with a spell to regain form.

Cerra's struggling in the midfield, and we're struggling to move ball out of defence. Maybe Cerra back and Boyd to the 2s.

The MC have got themselves into a mess.

Playing TDK forward impacts the small's (e.g. Fogarty) pressure ability. A Fogarty type needs support or it is simply loop the ball over his 'head when he is chasing 'alone'. TDK in the fwd 50 on field (replacing one of Owies/Fantasia/E Hollands) means Fogarty has less support on tackling and rundowns (2+ chasing coordination). With Charlie C applying zero pressure or tackles and us carrying one less forward because we play an extra elsewhere, its basic numbers and structure impact.

The Fogarty type has low value if you play TDK forward. Playing Pitto in the ruck means TDK is a low value forward because our style only needs two key fwds and we aim for them every time anyway. Double negative impact.

The third impact is we all know how slow our players are...E Hollands is slow as treacle, so is Cripps, so is Kennedy and Hewett. Newman is very slow. The next bracket are one paced medium speed players. So we have an issue with leg speed. We simply cant afford TDK forward and Pitto in the ruck. We need the extra runner. We MUST have the extra runner.

It's about logic and not quoting one game that TDK/Pitto won together. There will always be moments a fired up 22 can win a game. When both Pitto/TDK are in their best form, yes they can win a game. It is still a bit irrelevant because a sole ruck could of also supported a win on that 'committed' day.

I'd support two rucks if we had to. Like if TDK was crap and Pitto was crap. You then have to play two not to struggle in clearances. But that isnt the case. TDK is best placed to sole ruck.

Do we want a TDK rating 4/10 as a key fwd or do we want him rating 7/8/10 as a sole ruck?

I cant talk about the defence because we cant solve it this year. Austin had to see what is happening now 2 seasons ago. The calamity was always there. The interceptor trait and lack of defending trait was always there to see.

Ha. We are still second and we can still find def con 5 effort to win games. Anything less than massive effort shows we lose on some of the holes we have.

Ins: Hewett, S Durdin, Motlop
Outs: Pitto, Kemp, Williams
  • S Durdin: let's find out if a proper defender can help stop goals going in on every entry. I've chosen Kemp over Marchbank because Kemp is not the answer 100%. Marchy should get the second game to confirm what he is. Expecting he is gone.
  • Walsh to wing. Hewett to middle
  • Motlop replaces Williams.
  • Pitto just isnt playing to an AFL standard right now. Then there is the follow on impacts to think about.

Knowing our MC I can't see more than three changes, including the forced Williams one. I'd suspect one of Pittonet or TDK will be omitted or managed, and possibly Cottrell (God I hope so).

Imo, ins will be Cuningham (who has that midfield burst we need but keeps breaking down), Hewett and either Motlop or Martin (sub).

I've never really been convinced by Boyd and he had a downright stinker yesterday but Vossy loves him, and I don't know who we replace with to be honest. Williams would be the only one but he was getting torched down back.

I'd give Marchbank another game for now.

After watching VFL

Definite ins: Sam Durdin Hewett Motlop
Possible: Martin
Hopefully McGovern

I’d make Cuningham sub. Right type for that role

B: Boyd Durdin McGovern
HB: Newman Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Walsh
HF: Fogarty McKay Elijah
F: Kemp Curnow Motlop
Foll: TDK Hewett Cincotta
Int: Cerra Kennedy Cowan Owies
Sub: Cuningham

I’d play Kemp as third forward/ruck
Walsh onto wing
Elijah Cerra give midfield run to support our bulls

There is exactly one team that has won all of its last 5 games: Brisbane.

There is exactly one team that has only dropped 1 of its last 5 games: Hawthorn.

All other teams have dropped at least 2 of their last 5 games.

Do we have things we need to work on? Absolutely. But so does just about everyone else.

This year is wide, wide open.

We've had a really poor fortnight, but I don't think it calls for panic just yet.
Swans lost a couple in a row, * lost a couple in a row, Melbourne looked cooked a fortnight ago, Geelong was written off after we smacked them off the park.
It is a weird stage of the season - I think a lot of teams are trying to time their run into the finals but we've had our down weeks now, time to regroup.

Voss backed the players in to bounce back from GWS and they let him down. Time for an axe swing.

North have definitely improved and will keep getting better over the years but if we are a half serious outfit we should account for them pretty easily.
If we don't, then hit the panic buttons...

OUT - Pittonet, Marchbank, Cottrell, O. Hollands, Williams (inj)
IN - Hewett, McGovern (S. Durdin if not fit), Cuningham, Motlop, J. Martin

I think we should give Martin another run in the 2s personally but I think the MC will play him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back