Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Who played well for the Blues in Round 20 vs the Power?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

No, what I mean is that we need to be more willing to get our hands dirty by going through them
There was a moment last night where I had this exact thought. Iirc it was Butters mark inside 50. He had to back in an go full arms up to mark.

The defender coming in from behind to try and spoil jumped around him and tried to spoil with a horizontal arm as he flew past. Needless to say he missed.

I have no idea why he didn't take the body and spoil through Butters, but he tried to spoil it nice and missed. He had no reason not to hit Butters hard and cleanly spoil the ball in the process. Not in a dirty way, it was just straight lining the ball in a mark contest. It would've been a statement spoil.

I noticed it once or twice in other moments but that was the most stark example. I think that's a perfect example of what you're talking about, don't be nice to play against, make there day a bit worse through some physicality. We don't really do that.

Yeah sorry meant his 1st year was 2016, so he's been on our playing list for 8 years.
No apologies needed bro. 9 years on the list now. I remember when we drafted him telling a cocky, eagles-supporting co-worker, that Cunners would win the Brownlow one day (Based on his draft highlights) and getting laughed at. DC had the potential to be a gun mid for us but his body just wasn't up to it.

Pretty much.
Bit of a 'kicked in the guts' morning.
I feel for Kemp and Cerra.
And next the Pies who also desperately need to win.
Guv was great I thought, not sure about the 'flipping' idea with him.
Otherwise I agree.
Yeah, I agree, Gov was great.

In my scenario, it was more about putting someone else up forward to take the heat of Curnow and so that we were not so one dimensional. I personally would have chosen Gov, as he is the next best forward on the park and has shown in the past he can play forward with some X factor.

Instead of Gov, we could have tried Kemp maybe.

After sleeping on it and rethinking this game over my biggest take aways are.

- If we’re the top 4 side that we believe we are, we simply find a way to hold on to a 5 goal lead, no matter the reasons.

- We severely lack footy iQ, the long bombs down the line to a 2on1 between Aliir & Zerk Thatcher vs Fog… Also even getting ourselves into that double tackle situation with Bergam was terrible between Crippa & Ollie.

- Any serious team with speed absolutely reams us, has been that way for years now, we absolutely need to recruit game breaking speed.

- Going away from Cinc on Butters was the most bewildering call in the 3rd that I’ve ever seen.

- In future, I’d love to see Vossy roll the dice more with moving the magnets when our game style is obviously shot.

Caught a bit of SEN and they were saying the word is that Andrew Russel has the players under a heavy training load.
Can we look at this as a glass half full, and they’ll ease up over next few weeks so they are firing for finals??

History has it that nobody wins from 4th ... and 3rd isn't much better
Playing Sydney at the SCG is like playing Brisbane at the GABBA or Port at AO.
Not sure about Freo at OO ... but you get the picture.
Lose the first final and we get another Interstater at their home ground.
It's praying for more than one miracle if we lose 2nd spot ... or fall out of top 4.

I never figured this is Carlton's year with all the B-graders in our team.
We need to plug some gaping holes if we are to become a serious contender for a flag
A fast strong defender to help Weiters ... a tough fast mid to help Crippa and Walsh ... and a gun small forward is necessary to snag a flag imho. I don't want to have to rely on luck and the rub of the green in each final.

ps. Why am I still a 'Debutant' ? I've been coming in here for 9 years :rolleyes:

Its something our club just doesnt seem to be able to fix....we are really good at kicking to the oppo defenders.
Then we need to draft a few oppo defenders and play them forward

Think How I Met Your Mother GIF by HULU

• Great I couldn’t watch the game properly
  • One quarter team
  • 1 loss away from a diabolical season
  • Confused
  • Voss, Russell, whomever stop tinkering… you may have killed the culture you developed late last season
  • This is Carlton post 2002.. welcome back.

History has it that nobody wins from 4th ... and 3rd isn't much better
Playing Sydney at the SCG is like playing Brisbane at the GABBA or Port at AO.
Not sure about Freo at OO ... but you get the picture.
Lose the first final and we get another Interstater at their home ground.
It's praying for more than one miracle if we lose 2nd spot ... or fall out of top 4.

I never figured this is Carlton's year with all the B-graders in our team.
We need to plug some gaping holes if we are to become a serious contender for a flag
A fast strong defender to help Weiters ... a tough fast mid to help Crippa and Walsh ... and a gun small forward is necessary to snag a flag imho. I don't want to have to rely on luck and the rub of the green in each final.

ps. Why am I still a 'Debutant' ? I've been coming in here for 9 years :rolleyes:
if we finish top 4 and lose first week, 2nd week will be our home game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caught a bit of SEN and they were saying the word is that Andrew Russel has the players under a heavy training load.
Can we look at this as a glass half full, and they’ll ease up over next few weeks so they are firing for finals??

Not buying that,smells of arrogance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Concerning signs everywhere.

Teams setting up with pace in the centre are hurting us with speed. Walsh is injured, Cerra is playing half back and Elijah was not used in there last night. Hewett and Cripps together is too slow. Hinkley made changes, we didn’t.
You cannot expect Charlie to hold our forward line together for a complete game without another natural key position forward. How many times did he win the ball on the wing and turn with nothing forward? How many times did we kick it to unmanned Port key defenders? How many times did we kick to a 3-1 or 2-1 contest? Hinkley made the moves, like dropping an extra back, we didn’t. This is the game you plant Charlie in the square and move all others further up, giving room to move. You don’t have to do it all game but do it for a quarter. Mix it up!!!

We should have run Elijah and Cerra through the middle. We should have sent Kemp or McGovern forward. I would have even thrown a curve ball and chnged Weitering with Young for a quarter.. Voss needs to get creative through games and give the opposition something different to think about. This is his biggest weakness. Opposition coaches aren’t surprised by us in any way during games. They know what is coming and have planned for it. Lastly, please stop thinking Cottrell can play wing. He can not and does not win enough ball or impact enough.

Our issues started when we bought Cottrell straight back in without any VFL time. He isn’t one of those players. Not sure what effect this has had on the playing group, as we were motoring at that time.

My concern is in the coaches box.

Most get too chest puffy after a win and too many get too low after a loss.

Yep - this game was important but with Acres/McKay/Williams all out Walsh playing at 50% capacity, Cerra coming back from ( obviously) a very serious hamstring, McGovern nursing himself back after his usual weekly break every few...

AND NO SECOND KPD available

that is a few decent players not present last night.

Funny reading a couple of blokes talking about lack of mongrel - that is teh thing abotu mongrel - not having it mean's you cop more every week than you should - the only criticism I have of Voss tbh- I would ave thought he would have added the cream on top - which is monrgel.

Never going to be an easy win against anyone - no team has that ability these days. With all the outs - I had penned as a 40% chance of winning this one - no surprises.

Really bad luck for Cuningham ( again) a hard glancing rn through contact in exactly the spot you dont want and shoulder gonski - again.

Collingwood next week - a mini GF for both sides - hopefully a few players are back.

I think last night really highlighted how important McKay is to our structure. Not just for his goals but the team things he does.

Someone already mentioned it but Acres was also a massive miss.

If Harry's out we really don't have an alternative and we struggle massively.

Especially if Kemp is not being used as a forward option. I personally want McGovern in the backline. That is his position and he, Saad & Weitering bring stability there. Without them we buckle

Also Cottrell isn't a winger, and I'm not sure the story on Binns so that also leaves us very short on the wings when Acres isn't in the team.

Not buying that,smells of arrogance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would have thought the same but on the radio in the week they talked about how several clubs do this now with the pre-finals bye, so it isn't an us issue, but rather something broadly done these days.

So singling out Carlton could just have been talking about it in combination with a 5 day break as a reason for the fatigue.

My fear this year has been if we don’t have close to our best 22 on the ground we will struggle. Today was an example of that

We have too many average, bit part players in our side that don’t do enough and to much is left to our stars

Put McKay TDK Docherty Jack Acres Martin Williams Boyd into that side and it’s a very different story. The injury interrupted seasons of Cerra Saad Motlop Walsh haven’t helped either as they aren’t anywhere near their best

That’s how I see it
Agreed. And with fisher and dow moved on, we are not coping.

Thought our defensive was better tonight though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Back