Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Who played well for the Blues in Round 20 vs the Power?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Binns for Acres. Boyd for Cerra.
It was better taking a gamble on Martin coming in for Harry, instead of Young. I'd have started Carroll and had Cunningham come off the bench as the sub.
I said during the week that I trust the MC. However a number of recent decisions are truly baffling.

I would have played Binns. I’m told Boyd was still injured but TBF we are talking about changes that would have made much of a difference

I know this is a somewhat ridiculous question... but I'm going to ask it anyway.

When was the last time Cerra and Walsh played well in the same lineup? Against good opposition?

I know that it's happened (plenty of times) in the past (or I assume it has) but it hasn't happened since Cerra came back into the team. We were playing great team football before then.
1000% right, Cerra plays best when 4 of the best 5 mids available

I get the disappointment. I don’t get the anger. Our best this season has been the best in the competition outside of Sydney. We are having our bad stretch, and it’s just happening to be at a really poor time. Still reckon we can have an impact in finals

I know I will be accused of giving them excuses, but the 5 day break, mixed with a bunch of sore players, certainly didn’t help. We looked gassed for most of the second half.

Interested to see what the fallout is, but there’s no point in panicking or getting angry
Yeah nah.
There’s every right to be pissed.

At home and 5 goals up. One goal in the second half?

That’s just SHIT.

A really frustrating second half. Losing McKay before the game stuffed us, with alreaady DeKoning missing and the others versus a pretty much full strength Port..

Those writing the season off are being a little premature.

On the plus side, I got to meet and chat with our 1964 Brownlow medallist: Gordon Collis. Lovely bloke who enjoyed reminiscing about the good old days.

nearly every single player has dropped in form over the last 4 weeks…is there anything that can explain this other than a super heavy training load over the last 4 weeks?

There has been no Heavy training.

However, as I have posted last few weeks we have a number of very sore/injured players that really need a break.

Unfortunately we don’t have the players to come in

Again it comes back to depth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't a statement. I said I think we are done. It's an opinion.

I feel that a season littered with injury has finally worn us down. We can't find any continuity, and we can't sustain the pressure level needed to play the way we need to play. Our many role players are found out, when our pressure eases off.

I don't think we can travel interstate in week one of the finals, and expect to win. If we finish top 4 and lose that first week, then we're going interstate again for a prelim at best.

We lack pace and have none to bring in. This game plan is it ... or bust, and it's gruelling.

I always said that barring injury, we are a contender. Well, that didn't work out for us. Mathematically, we can still do something, but the odds are starting to stack up against us. It would be something amazing and against the odds for us to succeed this year IMO.
I won’t go the semantics on the lack of difference between statement and opinion

No side is perfect, especially when injuries have taken their toll (as you say) and form is a off

I refuse to right us off in finals, especially given the food form we have shown this year

Voss is a great leader and has instilled a great culture at the club..

I’d like club to independently review…
  • Voss on the bench vs actually coaching and pulling the leavers from the box..
  • Team selection (how do you pick Cerra as a HBF and have Boyd as an emergency?)
  • Lack of personnel structural changes.. Mids have been blown away last 4 weeks, but nothing has changed… Harry out but we continued to bombto Charlie vs 3..
  • Are the assistants good enough fit to challenge Voss and complement his weaknesses (I don’t believe so)
Then go fix the findings… Same with Austin..

We are pissing away what was on track to be a brilliant season through arrogance and ineptitude at the selection table. To think we can bring in players after months out, without even having a run in the twos shows exactly how tasty out coaches find the bathwater.

Cerra has been back for 5 weeks, cotters 3. Neither have done anything close to justifying their selection.

Sad for cunners but his body isn't up to afl.

Really disappointed in that effort from Pitto. Was getting beaten by a 112 year old Charlie Dixon.

Push back or hope? Some posters that a claiming foresight when it comes to Cuners and Marchbank is pretty sad
Of course, everything's easier with the benefit of hindsight especially after a loss but I've been of that opinion concerning those players for quite a while.

Fair result, Port the better team. We split the first quarter, won the second and then got throughly dominated in the second half. Ran out of legs, banged up and it is what it is.

With that said, the IQ of the collective to keep kicking it to the port interceptors in the last quarter was some of the dumbest football I’ve ever seen. Cotters kicking to a marking contest between Fogarty vs both Aliir and Zirk-Thatcher should have him dropped on that alone.

The midfield is cooked at the moment. Cripps needing to be super man, Walsh’s possession as useless as **** on a bull, Cerra can’t even be trusted in the middle. Hewett / Carrol serviceable I guess.

Carroll had 9 disposals and 1 clearance in 3 quarters. He wasn't close to serviceable. Hewett 23 disposals, 5 clearances and 8 tackles was pretty good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Back