Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Who played well for the Blues in Round 20 vs the Power?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree re: JSoS.
He takes the 2nd ruck and allows McKay to stay forward next to Charlie 24/7.
Works well with Charlie and Harry and provides space for them to do their thing.
Makes the 3rd man up in the opposition defensive team accountable and hits the scoreboard in most occasiona.
His is one our biggest defensive play makes in our forward and locks the ball in. Competes at every opportunity and at worse brings the ball to ground.
He is the best 3rd tall in the game, but we it seems, as supporters still don't value, and even after missing this year, still don't appreciate or acknowledge him.
Astounded to be honest.
I agree with what he brings and do rate him, however as I said I didn't bring him into the equation as he's been out all year. I also stand by my statement I think McKay is alot more vital to the structure of the team. We can make do without Jack but we struggle without McKay

I also don't know about him being the best 3rd tall in the game but he definitely worth having on our list and in the starting line up.

My biggest knock on him has always been his finishing. He does most things right but he's finishing is suspect. He also isn't the speediest player and we don't have the speed on our list to cover our lack of speed as it is.

Anyway always good to hear others viewpoint 😁

Very hard to win when the midfield gets absolutely smashed. Wines and Drew who are 2 of Ports slowest players looked quick against our lot.
Cripps and Walsh get tackled and crunched as soon as they get the ball.

Our wings are rubbish, none of Hollands, Cottrell and Acres can kick with speed and precision. I’m over Hollands 20m floater kicks. Batman was right, Cottrell just guards grass all night.

We are done for the year and maybe this squad reached its peak last year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They get tackled before they get it.

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

They get tackled before they get it.

We’re too honest.

If they’re already getting tackled they should not take possession and try to win the free kick.

Furthermore we should also be tackling before the opponent gets the ball if the umpires are going to allow it.

100% agree, not one nasty prick in our side…

Cottrell plays because he has a bit of it in him but not much else…

We can be got, the pies will do it to us on the back of Maynard…

Voss has a big decision to make this week, he either takes control or defers to his line coaches…
Gov tackles with intent.

Posts above underline what I think is teh most glaring issue with most of the team- and that is they don't play'smart' football. eg if you are being 'co vered' because you are going to be first to the ball and you dont have a quick easy flick pass exit- spread yopriu arms and take teh tackle sans possession and get the free kick.

We’re too honest.

If they’re already getting tackled they should not take possession and try to win the free kick.

Furthermore we should also be tackling before the opponent gets the ball if the umpires are going to allow it.
This is 100% a thing. People wonder what's gone wrong with our midfield and clearance - it's the new interpretation of holding the ball, and our complete failure to adapt to it.

Our guys continue to play the ball, like mugs. Whereas others (Beveridge and the Bulldogs are the best exponents, but Port are pretty good too) understand that the umpires are actively incentivising being second to the ball. All you have to do is sweat on your opponent. Let him get it, then tackle him. If you can stick it for 1.5 seconds, you'll get a free kick. Alternatively, your man will panic and release the ball before that, whereupon he'll be pinged for dropping/throwing it, or the ball will bobble free to be swept away by your team-mates.

We just keep playing the ball. Even worse, as others have touched on earlier in this thread, when one of our stoppage players does get the ball, the rest of our mids run to receive, which means any legal tackle laid on the ball carrier will be effective. Whether the ball is held in or released, we either concede the free or are outnumbered for the loose ball.

I don't know how we fix this quickly. Because the early-2024 interpretations of the rules (which are what we really need) are not coming back any time soon.

tap it forward to advantage is now a big part of every smart midfield contest- ie dont take possession unless you can dispose of it to advantage. Eay fix- if the players have the brains to do it and the midfield is structured to play accordingly - surprised Cartn is a laggard tbh.

This is 100% a thing. People wonder what's gone wrong with our midfield and clearance - it's the new interpretation of holding the ball, and our complete failure to adapt to it.

Our guys continue to play the ball, like mugs. Whereas others (Beveridge and the Bulldogs are the best exponents, but Port are pretty good too) understand that the umpires are actively incentivising being second to the ball. All you have to do is sweat on your opponent. Let him get it, then tackle him. If you can stick it for 1.5 seconds, you'll get a free kick. Alternatively, your man will panic and release the ball before that, whereupon he'll be pinged for dropping/throwing it, or the ball will bobble free to be swept away by your team-mates.

We just keep playing the ball. Even worse, as others have touched on earlier in this thread, when one of our stoppage players does get the ball, the rest of our mids run to receive, which means any legal tackle laid on the ball carrier will be effective. Whether the ball is held in or released, we either concede the free or are outnumbered for the loose ball.

I don't know how we fix this quickly. Because the early-2024 interpretations of the rules (which are what we really need) are not coming back any time soon.

Agree re this, and hope they’re working on it with midfield strategists, as we’ve been torched in there for large parts of games a few weeks now. Walsh & Cripps trying to break out with ball hasn’t been working, and, in last 3 weeks (esp. noticed v WBulldogs), lots of instances our guys coughing it up too soon, often blind flicks & handpasses, then Oppo clears it away.

I’ll trust them internally to have better solutions than me, but IMHO 1-2 things would be:
a) to have a ‘no blind kicks/handballs’ approach, with ball-getter/chaser to stay calm even when tackled and ensure you get a targeted give-off to one of our guys in the relative clear.. noting most times, Umps allow a near 360 when swung around

b) 2 of Cripps/George/kennedy to be the inside getter, and do (a), to get it out to Walsh/Cerra/Acres/HBF’s etc who then go forward with kick-to/advantage, not blind/dump kick

Plus
c) Need to include Pitto in the strategy we’re using and work it to his strengths & capabilities (Ditto Tom when/if back later).

d) need responses for when they’re reading us and (eg.) targeting say Cripps as the receiver- then let him be decoy drawing Oppo, and pivot to tapping it to George/kennedy

Midfield planners to come up with a fresh approach that give us a bit of breakout clearance for the next few weeks will go a long way twd entering, and impacting Finals. This year, while we’re here, not next year.

Not quite but I understand your logic.
The problem is that we panic when we win and think if we don't move it on quickly, we'll be pinged.
The umpires are now wired to immediately pay a free kick, if the ball comes loose from a tackle - no matter how. They feel that the ball player had an opportunity to move it on as it came out or is visible.
Players that hold it in a tackle and don't bounce it around, 'hardly' get pinged, even if the tackle is spot on or even if they had prior.
Players such as Walsh, who want to move it on quickly in traffic and is hence moving either by foot or hand but might not have prior, is punished because of their stupid interpretation (can't possibly say it any better).
The umpires have totally lost any clear interpretation of the rule.

Best list in the business yet another season about to be wasted.

When is this club going to live up to its potential?

Had a gut full 👎
Sorry we dont have the best list. List is top 6 great, mid 6 average and bottom 6 poor. We are slow and our coach is creative with his Game Plan A and only game plan

Joined 27 minutes ago to repeat in a number of threads that we only have plan A like every single side?
So Voss whats his game plan if A isnt working. Curnow was useless put him on the ball. Throw him back for a while change thinsg up. YEah Voss only has Plan A and he did it at Brissy. I could have this team in 8th spot and i cant coach. What has he done thats different from last year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Voss whats his game plan if A isnt working. Curnow was useless put him on the ball. Throw him back for a while change thinsg up. YEah Voss only has Plan A and he did it at Brissy. I could have this team in 8th spot and i cant coach. What has he done thats different from last year?
And if i want to say the same thing i will

Firstly, not sure why you have started another account

Secondly every side has 1 gameplan

If you you can't see the tweaks, you won't understand the variations

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Back