Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That's facile - the reference to the cats game again....

We didn't leak goals in 2023 - so what's the difference defensively?

Same crew, yet 4th lowest last year...

View attachment 2068989

And it's not the 'they've worked us out' spiel....

My opinion. Last year we fed off a very contested ball game. Sides have now worked that out and don’t go head to head. They get it on the outside and run

There is a reason why Voss has tried Walsh Cerra continually in the middle and dropped Hewett and Carroll and continually use Kennedy as a sub

He is simply worried about our leg speed and how in games sides can really get hold of us

The only way we counter is with really tough pressured hard contested ball and it seems that it is not sustainable

That’s my take

Pies won centre bounces by 1. We won around the around the ground stoppages

Not something I'd be clutching as a reason why we lost
We hit the post 3 times, they hit the post twice. We lost two players due to injury, they lost Degoey.

We made more poor decisions Elijah not passing to Charlie, and missed some easy shots at goal probably the difference in the end.

My opinion. Last year we fed off a very contested ball game. Sides have now worked that out and don’t go head to head. They get it on the outside and run

There is a reason why Voss has tried Walsh Cerra continually in the middle and dropped Hewett and Carroll and continually use Kennedy as a sub

He is simply worried about our leg speed and how in games sides can really get hold of us

The only way we counter is with really tough pressured hard contested ball and it seems that it is not sustainable

That’s my take
Seems correct from the eye test.

Quite a bit of a mess/conundrum we're in with this list :(

We hit the post 3 times, they hit the post twice. We lost two players due to injury, they lost Degoey.

We made more poor decisions Elijah not passing to Charlie, and missed some easy shots at goal probably the difference in the end.

A game seems to be analysed very differently between a win and lose

It's not that far apart

I don’t agree. He gets games because he runs fis guts out every week, has good footskills and continually puts the ball to advantage, gives everything for the full 4/4.
Cottrell, Newman, Boyd, Motlop, Cerra, Cuners, Pitto, Young, have all been passengers in recent weeks. TBH I’m glad Cotters and Cerra are out injured, cos now George and Kennedy won’t be started as subs.
Ollie was in everything in the last ,fought his guts out until the end.
True but I still believe our skill level is very poor especially under any pressure

Who in our side is an elite or very good ball user?
Weitbot ?

Listened to Walsh’s interview and towards the end he mentioned we’ve had a ‘good block of training’

Interesting

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Voss also directly rubbished the training block and mentioned it hasn't been a thing for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s my take
IMO our best traits will stand up in finals when the game slows down and players are 5pc more weary.
We’ve been experimenting to the contrary which is entirely reasonable but ultimately has had a detrimental short term impact.

All sounds great and inspiring BUT we’re not seeing that at the moment which makes it all the more infuriating.

I hope they realise there’s only 3 rounds left.

These media releases are interesting. I can’t remember the last time (maybe I haven’t paid enough attention to social media) we heard/saw stuff like this… Club is feeling the heat?

All sounds great and inspiring BUT we’re not seeing that at the moment which makes it all the more infuriating.

I hope they realise there’s only 3 rounds left.

Unfortunately exactly the same thing would have been said after the previous 3 losses and has made zero difference.

Says to me that either the players aren't fully committed or we are being badly coached. It's probably a fair bit of both.

Not good 😌

I think tdk was getting 7-8 clearances in one his recent games…maybe just before he was ommited?

I think our good patch leading to the gws game coincided with tdk ripping the mid role apart…was unstoppable.
I think so too. TDK in that rich vein of form was basically another, even taller, Cripps at ground level. His strength and accuracy of handballs especially was pretty outrageous, and not bad by foot either and he was wrecking balling opposition mids in close.

He's not the most impactful pure tap ruck, but he brings a hell of a lot else in the role.

Listened to Walsh’s interview and towards the end he mentioned we’ve had a ‘good block of training

Interesting

Yeah I’m just hoping there is some master plan reason for this poor form and we will go a few levels up come finals when it really matters the most. Not sure losing a top 4 position could be part of a trade off plan though.

Well we get a lifeline with Freo losing, win next 3 and we finish 4th, if all results go as expected. However winning all 3 maybe a real struggle with the form we are displaying

I've never seen this group more demotivated than they look in this video.

It feels like it's almost completely faux motivation and there's a sense of the inevitable.

And yes, I acknowledge when this video was filmed.

The number one problem with this team right now is intent and a lack thereof. They are trapped in half a dozen minds and over thinking everything resulting in a whole lot of nothing. Not getting embarrassed but not doing anywhere near enough for a win. Feels very first half of 2023-ish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Back