Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never seen this group more demotivated than they look in this video.

It feels like it's almost completely faux motivation and there's a sense of the inevitable.

And yes, I acknowledge when this video was filmed.

The number one problem with this team right now is intent and a lack thereof. They are trapped in half a dozen minds and over thinking everything resulting in a whole lot of nothing. Not getting embarrassed but not doing anywhere near enough for a win. Feels very first half of 2023-ish.

I'd be more concerned if they didn't look like that tbh...

I'd be more concerned if they didn't look like that tbh...

I want to see a team that is ready to fight the world. A team that is angry and determined. Instead they look spiritless.

Back in 2017 it was McGovern who kicked a goal after the siren against Collingwood and yesterday he kicked for goal like a defender. So what changed? The reason why he kicked it like a defender is because we turned him into one. Goalkicking isn't some Irish luck, it is a skill. A skill which he perfected for much of his career. In order to maintain your skillset and improve on it you need to continue to work on it. When you've spent the last 3 years playing down back it is evident that goalkicking is not one of the skills you would spend time on in training. The mark in 2017 flying up on a high up and under kick was considerably more difficult than yesterday's one. He's kicked multiple clutch goals before. He doesn't need to prove anything nor does one bad kick all of a sudden make him a bad goalkicker. Kernahan kicked it on the full in 1993. Goodes, Nick Riewoldt and many more have missed shots after the siren.

The truth of the matter is that our football club has done a disservice to many of our high profile recruits and hung them out to dry. McGovern, Williams and Cerra in particular. We invest a lot of resources into signing them, we play them when they are injured, then crap our pants, hit the panic button and change their position, and go against the premise of why we signed them in the first place. Now I'm not disputing the impact gov has had on the backline and Z Will up forward (Cerra at HB is a joke), but I'm just disappointed in the lack of faith and support our club has given these guys when they have struggled. All 3 of these guys were highly rated and seriously talented at crows, giants and dockers, and all 3 of them have played their best footy in a jumper other than carlton's.

Last edited:
Just watching First crack and Collingwood past 5 games came up, before playing us they were 1 win from their past 4 games and that win came against the last placed Tigers.

Then we look back and we are 1 win out of 5, with our only win coming against 17th.

It was a bit depressing

I tell you what though, the filth players sure like to act like everything is a free. Especially the daicos bros. Were looking at the umps and calling for a free even when a seagull flew by. Bit like their supporters I suppose.
They basically flapped their arms out like demented ducks all night.

It was embarrassing

I tell you what though, the filth players sure like to act like everything is a free. Especially the daicos bros. Were looking at the umps and calling for a free even when a seagull flew by. Bit like their supporters I suppose.
The amount of yapping Naicos was doing towards our players was horrendous. We should have dealt with him last night and made him think twice of such behaviour.

Last edited:
Since making the Prelim last season ... Carlton have not improved under Voss in season 2024.
I believe Carlton are worse than last season, so Voss has not improved our team at all, which is disappointing

Last season we had more Players out injured, but were still able to continue winning, to their credit.

The amount of yapping Naicos was doing towards our players was horrendous. We should have dealt with him last night and made him think twice of such behaviour.

He has learnt from Pendlebury who even after 4000 games still gobs off at the umpires and opposition non stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since making the Prelim last season ... Carlton have not improved under Voss in season 2024.
I believe Carlton are worse than last season, so Voss has not improved our team at all, which is disappointing

Last season we had more Players out injured, but were still able to continue winning, to their credit.

You do realise at this time last year we’d had won less games at this point than we have this season.

If we win the last 3 games all against sides currently below us we will finish with 15 wins and probably be in the Top 4.

Last edited:
**** me that Nick Daicos was giving me the shits, every time a Carlton player was tackled he just threw his arms up appealing for a free.

Needless to say the umpire just ignored him and blew the whistle for a ball up.

Our best this season has been better than our best last season

Not as simple as that.

Our best form of 2024 was better than anything we produced in 2023, we just don't bring it/do it for long enough.

1 - 1.5 quarters of top shelf stuff coupled with 2-2.5 quarters of benign, lacking intensity/flat stuff ain't going to beat many teams at this level.

We can bang on about Guv's miss, our lack of speed, playing injured players (often out of position) etc. but the losses are largely on us - failing to execute some pretty basic footy skills (whether that's leading to space, marking, kicking, hitting a target, helping a team mate...goal kicking) to a reasonable standard (for this level) consistently.

The decision making, in particular, has been poor. Taking the wrong option too often.

By the by, saw Doc walking through the streets, with pram, here yesterday. Would have spoken to him but the kids vetoed it!!

Voss is riding on the wave of his champion playing days. Everyone loves what he did as a player.

A coach he is not. He was caught out whilst coaching Brisbane and spent a long time under Ken junk key and learnt a few things but being at the helm again he is showing deficiencies.

Voss is riding on the wave of his champion playing days. Everyone loves what he did as a player.

A coach he is not. He was caught out whilst coaching Brisbane and spent a long time under Ken junk key and learnt a few things but being at the helm again he is showing deficiencies.
“Showing deficiencies”. You mean like every coach that has ever existed in the history of professional sport?

We can bang on about Guv's miss, our lack of speed, playing injured players (often out of position) etc. but the losses are largely on us - failing to execute some pretty basic footy skills (whether that's leading to space, marking, kicking, hitting a target, helping a team mate...goal kicking) to a reasonable standard (for this level) consistently.

The decision making, in particular, has been poor. Taking the wrong option too often.
Great post and observations, especially your point about leading into space.

I think it was Kennedy’s first kick after just being subbed on, instead of kicking it to a contest he kicked into space - and demanded Motlop sprint to take the mark leaving the defender in his wake.

I thought at the time gee Kennedy made that look so simple why don’t we do it more often.

Great post and observations, especially your point about leading into space.

I think it was Kennedy’s first kick after just being subbed on, instead of kicking it to a contest he kicked into space - and demanded Motlop sprint to take the mark leaving the defender in his wake.

I thought at the time gee Kennedy made that look so simple why don’t we do it more often.
3rd grade country teams do it better than us!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Back