Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

On the who would you back to kick the goal conversation, McGovern is one I would back tbh. He just shanked it, it happens. Sucks it happened in that moment, but McGovern is generally a reliable kick for goal especially from ~45 out - that is his range imo.

Again, sucks, but shanks happen unfortunately. Everyone kicking for goal ever has done it.

What caused a sudden turnaround in our form after 1Q against GWS?

We were on fire up until that point and we prolly would have won at least 2-3 of past 4.

Other teams improve that’s fair but in our case we went from a top 2 side to a side that’s struggling to make the 8.

Intriguing how things swing around in one season.
Yeah we have been slightly unlucky in that we're playing some teams further down the ladder who have found some form at the right end of the season, but its not the only reason. Hawthorn beat Collingwood by 10 goals 2 weeks ago, if we were in any way still serious just had to win Saturday night.

We miss finals I think, which is beyond disappointing obviously. Won't get near Hawthorn next week, then only have to drop 1 of the last 2 vs West Coast away and St Kilda at Marvel which will happen on current form (Hawthorn win their last 2 vs Richmond and North). Mind boggling :drunk:

Still say its mostly mental. Only when everyone had written us off last year did they start playing footy. This year, game and half clear in 2nd, almost equal flag favourites, media starts pumping us up in earnest and we go to water almost instantly. Suspicious.

Last edited:
IMO our best traits will stand up in finals when the game slows down and players are 5pc more weary.
We’ve been experimenting to the contrary which is entirely reasonable but ultimately has had a detrimental short term impact.

Personally, I would have banked a couple more wins before playing around with players and tactics

But, every side knows the others gameplan, so it's a fallacy to suggest we have been worked out

For every side it's about pressure, intent, and doing what you do for better and longer

It's that simple

The McGovern miss may also have cost Cripps the brownlow - if he ends up with 1 or 2 votes from this game and loses by 1 vote then it would have been the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Interesting, looking at the top 10 players based on Fantasy Points fwiw, it may well be other Carlton players taking Brownlow votes from Crippa….:)

IMG_2425.jpeg

One of the things that got on my nerves a little was the amount of time we’d win the ball at a stoppage(mainly centre bounces) and we would always come out around the defensive side in a big slow arc! Be nice if we could move through the stoppage and come out the front a little more. Entries are a lot slower and usually under more pressure when u come around the back the way we were and therefore makes it a lot easier for the opposition to set up and defend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We play better when they release the shackles and play the game on its merit. IMO
I don’t know, but it seems like we might at times complicate the game plan a little much and u can see it in the players with there indecision.
IMO it happened in the first half of last year, then Voss released them to play more freely and we got results.
We looked a lot more like the second half of last year in the final quarter Saturday night.
Hopefully it’s the start of a turnaround

Coaches' Votes

9 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
6 -
Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
5 - Nick Daicos (COLL)
3 - George Hewett (CARL)
3 -
Darcy Cameron (COLL)
2 - Jeremy Howe (COLL)
1 - Darcy Moore (COLL)
1 - Jacob Weitering (CARL)

Fly absolutely taking the piss giving Daicos BOG. Hewett his direct opponent had a better game.
Also surprised that Hoskin-Elliot didn't get any.

Coaches' Votes

6 -
Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
5 - Nick Daicos (COLL)
3 - George Hewett (CARL)
3 -
Darcy Cameron (COLL)
2 - Jeremy Howe (COLL)
1 - Darcy Moore (COLL)

Fly absolutely taking the piss giving Daicos BOG. Hewett his direct opponent had a better game.
Do we think Cripps gets 3 votes?

Coaches' Votes

6 -
Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
5 - Nick Daicos (COLL)
3 - George Hewett (CARL)
3 -
Darcy Cameron (COLL)
2 - Jeremy Howe (COLL)
1 - Darcy Moore (COLL)

It’s not the first time macrae has done this either
He’s a great player but jeez macrae has made a joke of the award.
Laughable how much he’s pushing him

Questions we were asking after game

Have any players improved this year?
Do we believe we are a Top 4 list?
Have sides worked us out? Seems to me they now take us on and out run us especially on the spread.
Are we fit enough?
Is Leg speed an issue?
Why have we carried so many injury prone players for so long?
Why are our skills so bad?
Is our development good enough? Why are we giving so many average players longer term contracts or extensions?

I honestly don’t know the answers

Ill give it a crack:

Have any players improved this year? A couple spring to mind. Owies, Carrol, E Hollands, McKay, TDK
Do we believe we are a Top 4 list? I do
Have sides worked us out? Seems to me they now take us on and out run us especially on the spread. Yes they have, we need to adapt in games far better than we are
Are we fit enough? I believe we are
Is Leg speed an issue? Yes, we are slow, more bash n crash
Why have we carried so many injury prone players for so long? Got no idea. We seem to go for potential talent with injury history
Why are our skills so bad? This must be mental. I went to the game where we belted Geelong and we would have smashed anyone that night. Our skills and pressure were elite.
Is our development good enough? Why are we giving so many average players longer term contracts or extensions? Jury is out for me. I see so many other teams (Geelong cough) who seem to develop talent from anywhere in the draft.

Coaches' Votes

6 -
Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
5 - Nick Daicos (COLL)
3 - George Hewett (CARL)
3 -
Darcy Cameron (COLL)
2 - Jeremy Howe (COLL)
1 - Darcy Moore (COLL)

5. Daicos 5. Cripps
4. Cripps 4. Pendlebury
3. Cameron 3. Hewett
2. Pendlebury 2. Howe
1 Moore 1. Weitering

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Back