Preview 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood Saturday 3rd August 7:30PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IMG_8144.jpeg

MILESTONE: Jack Martin 150 AFL Games

IMG_8145.jpeg

Well for a start there is no god, but on the pies captain. When asked if he felt sorry for Carlton after Collingwood eliminated them from a finals chance, Pendulbury smirked and said " no i don't feel sorry for them' just one of many tasteless comments from the flog
he plays for Collingwood. Wtf do you want him to say? Christ if Judd said he was sorry for Richmond after we eliminated them from 9th the world would've erupted. Stupid take.

Assuming the mids do ok V theirs- It will boil down to how well Fogarty/Motlop/Owies can defend against easy exits by Maynard/North and Quaynor - blunt their rebound game and a lot of their weapons start firing blanks. Dont want to see the old flick flick flick kick to a the fat side on an open Sidebottom or McCreery or WHE rinse and repeat BS. and dont want to ever see DeGoey one out top of teh arc waiting for a bullett from Naicos either.

Interesting to see how E Hollands goes against Naicos if the "kidGOAT" plays HBF for extended periods.

If Martin has just one more good game in him - let it be this one.

Only thing I am concerned about is the lack of height in the backline again, but coaches have had enough time to plan for it and know opposition have been trying to expose it so lets see the response.
Collingwood has named 3 forwards Elliot, Schultz and Hill all 178cm or less. McCreery and Hoskin-Elliot at 186cm are not tall forwards.

McStay at 195cm is covered by Weiters.

Cox at 211cm is their tallest forward option. He’s been out injured for a while, with 12 games this year for 3 goals 6 points. MC don’t see him as needing a tall match up - I think they’re right.

It’s the little guys we need to clamp down on CC..

There is a part of me that likes many other players around where people are projecting him. I would almost prefer him on a rookie list than our main draft list.
Where do you see Lucas at? Interested in what you think his strengths and weaknesses are.

Correct. However, I hope to be proven wrong.
Carlton have embraced role players and Cotts often plays a role in the side. He does a lot of defensive running and allows the likes of Cripps, Walsh and co to run offensively. He could obviously increase his output a little, but not sure it is completely his role. Run up those wings and maintain defensive shape.

Collingwood has named 3 forwards Elliot, Schultz and Hill all 178cm or less. McCreery and Hoskin-Elliot at 186cm are not tall forwards.

McStay at 195cm is covered by Weiters.

Cox at 211cm is their tallest forward option. He’s been out injured for a while, with 12 games this year for 3 goals 6 points. MC don’t see him as needing a tall match up - I think they’re right.

It’s the little guys we need to clamp down on CC..
Yeap need to clamp down on Elliot…but easier said than done….loves playing against us …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you see Lucas at? Interested in what you think his strengths and weaknesses are.
Strengths is his ability to get up and down the wings. His kicking is a huge issue, they have no penetration at all, way too loopy. In the AFL with the speed of the game, they're going to be intercepted. Think the opposite to Curnow. You know when Curnow gets the ball and plays on, the ball is getting to its player in rapid speed. Hayden Young is another such player that just penetrates with his kicking skills.
I find Lucas just loops the kicks, his action is also mechanically terrible, I think this is causing half the issues.
He does have game sense and maintains shape on a wing, not getting sucked into a contest.

He is a great project rookie selection.

At pick 40 at the moment, I seem to see names I prefer on so many levels.

Cooper Hynes (Dandenong Stingrays)
Jesse Dattoli (Northern Knights)
Phoenix Hargrave (South Adelaide)
Hamish Davis (Claremont)
Luke Urquhart (East Fremantle)
Sam Marshall (Brisbane Academy)
Jobe Shanahan (Bendigo Pioneers)
Lucca Grego (Western Jets/Vic Metro)

Here are some names that on certain BF, AFL, Draft Central boards could be up for grabs around the Lucas pick, I love some of these names more than Lucas.

Carlton have embraced role players and Cotts often plays a role in the side. He does a lot of defensive running and allows the likes of Cripps, Walsh and co to run offensively. He could obviously increase his output a little, but not sure it is completely his role. Run up those wings and maintain defensive shape.

Yep, good summation, needs a clear role and to play on someone. Did well as a defensive HF. Otherwise gets lost. Simply not a natural ball finder

Strengths is his ability to get up and down the wings. His kicking is a huge issue, they have no penetration at all, way too loopy. In the AFL with the speed of the game, they're going to be intercepted. Think the opposite to Curnow. You know when Curnow gets the ball and plays on, the ball is getting to its player in rapid speed. Hayden Young is another such player that just penetrates with his kicking skills.
I find Lucas just loops the kicks, his action is also mechanically terrible, I think this is causing half the issues.
He does have game sense and maintains shape on a wing, not getting sucked into a contest.

Hamish Davis (Claremont)

Here are some names that on certain BF, AFL, Draft Central boards could be up for grabs around the Lucas pick, I love some of these names more than Lucas.
Not fretting about this. Lucas is a real chance to get to the rookie draft, or horribly close. I know it only takes one bid, to change this, but late father-son picks often pass through to the rookie draft. Assuming reports are correct that the bidding system stays status quo barring NGA products, if we can create list spots, we may get a couple of open draft players.

Some very nice names on that list…

Hamish Davis (Claremont)

Would you consider this to be a deep draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back